“Licence to chill”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oracabessa
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Licence to chill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

A truly relaxing, beautiful, interesting, and friendly resort.

I sometimes find it hard to relax on beach holidays but it is so safe and comfortable here it is impossible not to chill out and re-charge your batteries. I travelled on my own, but the staff are genuinely friendly and it's very easy to feel at home.

The beach cottages (where I stayed) and the lagoon suites contrast quite a bit - both seem great. The beach cottages genuinely feel like beach living with the constant sound of surf and access straight onto the beach. The lagoon side is incredibly tranquil and still by comparison.

I'm not hugely into water sports - there is plenty to do if you are - but even so enjoyed visiting the Fleming villa (with his former gardener, Ramsey, that brought it all to life) (note, if the villa is hired you may not get access), visiting Firefly, and walking into the local village. I enjoyed learning about the Jamaican culture and lifestyle, and have bought the James Bond Dr. No movie (shot locally) and a Bob Marley album on my return!

A wonderful, well run resort in a unique location - don't tell too many people, and it will remain a location for 'licence to chill' holidays.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SunnyDay007
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Greenwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I don't want to put anyone off by my experiences because the main issue was not the resorts fault. The "locals" were partying (just off property) until 3:30 AM one night and 2:30 the other. Apparently the law is that they must turn off their music at 2AM. That's awfully late in my opinion! Thankfully the management, after lots of complaining, made "adjustments" for the noise and loss of sleep. The management was a little slow when it came to addressing this and other issues.

Onto the highlights, the resort is secluded and beautiful. There is plenty to do while there for children and adults. Assuming you enjoy water sports like: kayaking, paddle boarding, snorkeling, etc...or just relaxing under a thatched umbrella looking out to a stunning view in all directions. There are terrific water sports guides who will teach you all you need to know. They take great care of everyone. They were tireless when it came to surfing lessons.

The staff is lovely and the food quite good. Breakfasts were delicious at the bizot bar with views to the pool and sea.

We stayed in Lagoon Suites which I thought were wonderful, we were able to jump off our own dock into the lagoon or take a morning kayak around the mangrove island. All necessary equipment is at your fingertips (life jackets, paddles, etc). However, the beach cottages may provide the sound buffer should the night music start.

One of our rooms had ants, cockroaches, A/C malfunction and no hot water...but what can you do for $1000/night

My family and I agree, once we had time to reflect on our trip (despite the noise which was attributed to both the holidays and election time) We liked this hotel for its relaxed vibe, natural beauty and friendly staff.

(oops one more thing, Mosquitoes are BAD, so be prepared)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
18 Thank VerbierV
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I returned to Goldeneye to celebrate our anniversary where we had spent our Honeymoon in 2007. We had wonderful memories of our time there in Villa 2, Domino and Tiffany Case which opened to the sea and, at the time was 1 of only 4 Villas. We felt as if we were the only inhabitants of our own private island paradise.

Since that time, Goldeneye has undergone major changes but the sense of privacy remains. This time we stayed in one of the new Lagoon Suites that opened to a large deck that extends out over the calm water of the Lagoon. Each suite is outfitted with two sets of reclining chairs for relaxing outdoors, on the covered deck or in the sun, two kayaks for exploring the Lagoon, floating mats for relaxing in the water and a cozy table for dining on the deck where the staff will gladly set up your meals for you with candlelight! It was just as magical as we remembered. Goldeneye is truly a one of a kind island experience.

We received a warm welcome from the staff who greeted us by name as if we’d never left. With a cool, refreshing scented cloth for our face and an even more refreshing Goldeneye Cocktail in hand, in no time we were right back in the groove; the sense of relaxation took over immediately. As we strolled to our suite, we took in all the amazing changes that have taken place. The Beach Cottages and the Lagoon Suites are situated on what was before an empty beach surrounded by vegetation. Now there is a gorgeous infinity pool at one end next to the Bizot Bar which opens to the Ocean. Here, the food is local, organically grown, freshly prepared and creatively served for both breakfast and lunch. Dinner is served in the Gazebo which has been remodeled and expanded but still has the feel of being part of the original Goldeneye. They have added a library and a lounge area where you can peruse many historical books, photographs and local maps about the area and the time when it was owned by Ian Fleming.
Oh yes – I must mention that we LOVED the Radio Nova soundtrack to our vacation! It’s a favorite of ours now.

One can do as much or as little as you choose. We enjoyed walking the lush grounds, exploring and checking out the trees planted there by the many famous and not so famous guests throughout the years. If the Fleming Villa is unoccupied, the staff will happily open it for a tour which is a must see! I also loved kayaking and paddle-boarding around the Lagoon and paddling over to the Spa for my complimentary welcome massage. There are many options for tours, fishing and riding jet skis along the coast but if you choose to relax, there isn’t a more serene spot than the slice of paradise called Goldeneye.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RNRChicago_IL
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

I was trying to think of this elaborate paragraph to describe my stay at Goldeneye and to be honest words can not describe my experience.

I can tell you that this place is Spectacular,Wonderful, Stunning, Ravishing, Grand, Incredible, Alluring, Charming,Divine!

My new home!

Room Tip: The lagoon villas is a must!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank damon d
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

Amazingly beautiful getaway! Tucked away in the lagoon= the perfect relaxation destination. I jumped off our private deck within minutes of arriving....Simply put, Goldeneye is the dream vacation. Perfect for the traveler who seeks a beautiful romantic backdrop, totally private yet filled with fun filled activities, authentic Jamaican cuisine, and of course the unbeatable laid back vibe! I left kicking and screaming, asking my boyfriend if we could extend our stay... please could we extend or stay. I will be back 200%!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JCHESS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oracabessa
14.0 km away
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,005 reviews
99.4 km away
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to GoldenEye? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK