“Awful! ”

Beechwood Close Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

After my partner working away for most of the year and barely seeing him, I decided to book a night away in York, my favourite place! We found the Beechwood on another site and after looking at the photos I decided to book it. Great I thought, a lovely break from work and with it being inbetween Christmas and New Year it was ideal as this is my Beauty salons quieter time.
On arrival at 1pm we were warmly greeted by the receptionist, who advised that the restaurant wasn’t open that evening (shame as were starving after our drive from Liverpool) She then showed us to where our room was and left us to enter. Upon entering the room we instantly saw how dated it was, then on closer inspection we saw how unclean it was! Thick dust on the bedside cabinets along with random hairs that were not ours, someone’s hair bobble on the floor, dirty marked mirror over the dressing table, a dirty wooden tray (like the ones you got your school dinners on) covered in sugar and other crumbs.

The kettle was full of black bits and old coffee/tea stains down the front and the lid was thick with dust. The shower room had no bath towels (just 2 hand towels on the bed) again the shelf had toiletries on it but were obviously used and the pumps broken so couldn’t be used anyway. The toilet seat had stains underneath it, either blood or faeces and again dust everywhere.

The iron looked like it had been hand painted and the ironing board had seen better days and was threadbare. The lights above the bed were again thick with dust. Now we weren’t being picky, it was clearly evident that this room hadn’t been touched for weeks with the amount of dust etc and given my partner has his own industrial cleaning company he was disgusted that we had even been allowed to check into such a filthy room.

When he complained to reception and said he wanted to check out she asked him why and he told her, he then actually showed her the room and she agreed the cleaner hadn’t been doing their job right. Now the problem was they had only one other room that was could swap too, because the customers hadn’t checked in yet, or we could have it cleaned. But the cleaner wasn’t in, so it was a room swap that was left to choice from!! The other room was on the top floor, but having a heart condition and no lift, I wasn’t prepared to move into that room, PLUS the poor people would have been given our filthy dusty room, for which I wasn’t prepared to left someone else stay in that room.

We were told that they couldn’t refund us as the manager wasn’t on the premises. We left and found another hotel luckily and paid out even more money! I was awaiting some kind of call the follower day from the manager to apologise but we had no call!!! I contact them through Facebook and have been ignored. My review on Facebook was ignored too, I would have at least expected a comment because I uploaded photos of the room too. But nothing! Although we didn’t pay a lot of money for the room, that was not the point, the point was we had paid for a room that should have been clean, it wasn’t. And a restaurant on site appealed to us, but this wasn’t open (and no prior warning either)

I’m still waiting for a refund back on my card, but according to another customer on the Beechwood Hotels facebook page, she’s been waiting for one since September 2017! And is also being ignored by the manager. Customer service should be the best it possibly can when you run a business that deals with customers, if I treated my clients like this I’d have none!

My advise would be to find another hotel locally and save yourself of a possibly spoilt overnight stay, because thanks to this hotel our one and only night away together for over 12 months was a disappointment

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sinead3212018

Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

After staying here a few times before I must say the stay gets better each time. Excellent staff, especially Denise......great lady had me and my wife laughing all weekend (in a good way). Great location, away from all the hustle and bustle of the city centre (about 10 minutes maximum walk). Great breakfast in the morning, really sets you up for the day. I will be staying here again in the future, and I must say it's a pleasure to stay here. Thanks to all the staff who do a great job making people's stay pleasant. Keep up the good work.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2017

My wife and I stayed at the Beechwood Close Hotel for a Friday and Saturday Night break. This happened to be the second weekend of December 2017 when we had a major cold spell. The hotel has an excellent car park and is located close to York, being a 17 Minute Work to the Minster, so thumbs up here. Upon arrival we were greeted by Coleen who was an absolute pleasure to meet, really helpful to us and it's really due to her help that I didn't score this as a 2* Review!!! The major issue we had ( with Room 8 ) was that there was a Freezing blast of air blowing through the windows! The opening windows opened from top to bottom of the frame, I'd say that there was a 4mm gap from the window to frame when shut in the closed position, this obviously created not a pleasant temperature in the room.....I wouldn't have this at home so shouldn't have had this at the Beechwood! I did report this and NO offer was given to facilitate a change of room for our second nights stay, although I did get 2 large bath towels to put across the windows, but this was ONLY a token help due to opening direction of the windows. Also, the kitchen extraction discharged outside room 8, so at times due to poor fitting windows we suffered a smell of cooking in our room!!! Bar service was good at the hotel, as were the breakfasts, really good in fact. Hotel kindly obliged with filling my flask for journey home as snow for the duration home was forecast!!! I'd emphasise the staff were great as were the majority of the other aspects at the hotel, other than UHT milks were not replaced over night. No other issues than I'm afraid the window draft issue! Whilst there may be a listing order on the hotel, it's time to spend some £££ and fit some decent windows......As I recall we paid £185 for our stay, no offer of ANY partial refund was made...although to be honest this was not requested at the time......This could so easily be a 4* review if a little Cash was spent. Again Coleen is a major asset at the hotel, thanks for all of your great service.

Room Tip: Great Base for visit to York - Don't get Room 8 !!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony M
Reviewed 4 December 2017

We had a 3 night stay when visiting York to go to the Xmas market. Having spent some time on the Internet looking for a Hotel I came across the Beechwood Close Hotel.
It was the only one I found which offered free guaranteed parking and it has one space for each room in the hotel. It only takes 15 minutes to walk to the city centre and there is a bus stop close by if you don't want to walk. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. We booked a room which had a shower over the bath, a king size bed, had tea and coffee making facilities and overlooked the garden at the back of the hotel. We found it quiet at night.
All in all we very pleased with our choice and would book again if we return to York. We will also recommend this hotel to our friends

Room Tip: We booked room 2 at the back of the Hotel
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2017

My daughter recently stayed over night at this venue. It was within walking distance of york it's self.

Clean premises.
Our room had very comfortable beds and pillows with crisp white bed linen. Quilt a bit thin for this time of year.
Family room had a extra bed in the corner of the room. Ensuite clean possibly an update as some of the items look a bit worn.
Breakfast my daughters was hot, mine was Luke warm, mentioned to the manager, she explained that her breakfast had been really good.
Feel as though it was over priced, as I was under the impression, that breakfast was included in the price. On arrival we were informed, breakfast was extra. We could have an evening meal, there was a table in the corner by the bar, due to a wedding party being in.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
0.5 km away
0.9 km away
B+B York
B+B York
#6 of 47 in York

Been to Beechwood Close Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK