“Great way to see the terrain”

Camp Richardson Corral
More attraction details
Owner description: Camp Richardson Corral offers horseback rides through Lake Tahoe national forest. All tours are guided and at a walk. Trail rides may include beautiful views of Lake Tahoe, Fallen Leaf Lake, Taylor Creek, along with beautiful mountain meadows and forests.We also offer hay wagon rides, pony rides, pack trips and boarding facilities.
Deerfield, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great way to see the terrain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

This is a nice way to experience Lake Tahoe. We did some beach and water activities but this was a great way to see the terrain without having to hike it ourselves. I expected the tour to be a long trail of horses and riders, but Camp Richardson assigned one guide per 3-4 riders so it felt more like a private tour.

Visited August 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Orange County, CA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very slow, easy ride”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Since I was on the front horse right behind our guide, I was able to enjoy conversation with him the whole way. My wife and kids were kinda on their own in that department. I thought they were having a great time because of all the laughter I heard coming from back there. But I found out that it was because my son's horse, Murdock, was passing gas the WHOLE way!! The horses were beautiful, but the ride was way too slow for me. Some of the views were absolutely beautiful. We saw a few coyotes out there too (I love seeing any kind of wildlife). I was very disappointed with the "stunning view" of Lake Tahoe. From where we were, we could BARELY see Lake Tahoe, and from what we could see, it really wasn't all that stunning. All in all, it was a good experience -- especially since none of us had ridden horses before. But I think I'll have to try a different place next time. In the end, I just didn't feel that we got our money's worth. We did tip our guide well, as you ALWAYS should, but next time I think we'll go with Zephyr Cove Corral. I don't think their horses will go any faster, but I just wouldn't do the same [kinda boring] trail ride twice.

Visited July 2011
Burnie786
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing views, fun time, nice horse, and a friendly guide!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

This place is GREAT!! I took the 2 hour ride, and the views were beautiful!! I loved how friendly and knowledgeable our guide was! This is well worth the money!

Visited July 2011
Concord, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not a good experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

If you can ever get anyone on the phone, don't let them put you on hold, you will be there forever. Despite having operating hours, they are horrible at answering the phone, horrible about returning phone calls. When you get to the corral, they had one 16-18 year old working who was obviously over her head. While educated on what needed to happen she couldn't handle the volumne of questions or the amoutn of things that needed to be done before riders could proceed to the waiting area. She hastly pointed at a pile of helmets on a table and said pick one to my child as I signed a waiver excusing them from any wrong doing. Once my child got out on the ride he said it was boring, just walking the horse over a trail with no real information on handling horses or where he was going/what he was seeing. Overall a waste of time and money. Zephyr Cove Stables proved to have better trained people both in the office and on the trail.

Visited July 2010
1 Thank thismomsmind
Shingle Springs, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quint is a packer's packer.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

I have been riding the backcountry on and off for 30 years. I recently had the privilege of packing into the backcountry with Mr. Quint Ross from Camp Richardson Corral. I found Quint to be very competent, friendly, accommodating and generous with his packing knowledge. While in the backcountry, he taught me some great new knots and gave me some valuable tips about packing and traveling on the granite. Even the best horses and mules are still unpredictable prey animals. If you choose to go into the backcountry with or without horses, take along someone who has been there and done that. Experience is no guarantee, but it is the best insurance you can have against mishap. and Quint Ross showed me he has that experience.

1 Thank VolunteerJ