The first impact of the Lodge is the view - it is simply outstanding. From the living areas and the deck, views out over the bay through trees are uninterrupted and it was particularly stunning with the moon above the bay lighting up the water. From the deck was a myriad of bird life and all very tame, all of us enjoyed the visits. Entry to the house is a button entry, no keys which is perfect when, like us, there are more than one family staying there.
The living area of lounge, dining and kitchen was perfect for our large crowd of 10. Room for everyone to comfortably sit, cook, eat and enjoy our Board Games and the room is full of funky / eclectic items to enjoy / use for your stay. Table is fantastic and the kitchen well stocked for cooking and eating. Fridge is large and perfect for a crowd. All lounges had a blanket for cold nights which were welcome – heating in the place is very good, but the blankets made it very cosy (and it was very cold at night outside). Firewood is provided down the stairs – the Ikea bag helped get this to the top level of the house. Note there is no Wifi, but we think that is a benefit – meant no one was distracted to work demands or kids drifting away.
Bedrooms were good, although one of the double beds was a little too soft for me, but that is a personal preference. Linen and doonas were perfect for cold nights and the rooms all had heating for those who wanted it, although they warm up very quickly. Good bath towels were provided but we found them stacked by the door, not in rooms as expected.
There is a laundry with new machines in there. We didn’t use these but all looks good. Multiple bathrooms are in the house, again perfect for a large group.
The location is a big plus for the lodge. The street is off the main road which means it is very accessible to the beach (at the end of the road, only minutes) and coffee shop, without having the constant traffic that goes through the main road. There is a hill, but it is an easy walk back for people with moderate fitness levels. The lodge and the beach are dog friendly, another big plus for people wanting to take their pets.
That said, the house has many steps to get to the top level – would recommend lightweight luggage to get up those stairs. The street is also steep and so is the driveway. This may make it difficult for people with mobility issues. It was ok for us but we can see that not all people would cope with this.
We all enjoyed our stay at the house, the location is great, the view better and most of what you could need during your stay is there. We have only a few comments on what could make it all perfect or at least help future visitors come prepared.
1. Not until we started cooking in the oven did we notice the lack of pot holders. There was one silicon finger glove which is broken but nothing else.
2. No tea towels – we had to go to Vincentia to buy some for our stay (these doubled as pot holders)
3. The toilets did not have any soap or hand towels. The main toilet upstairs has a cupboard but there was no spare toilet paper in it – a call for help and a dash downstairs rectified this but should not have happened in the first place.
4. On the 1st morning, only 6 out of 10 people had a hot shower – we balanced it out for the rest of the stay and it worked fine for 5 per session
5. Toaster – the house needs a larger (and faster) toaster than the one supplied. 10 people all at breakfast need more than a small 2 piece toaster.
6. Dishwasher tablets supplied were not sufficient for 10 people for the length of our stay – out again to buy more
7. A little maintenance around the house is probably needed on handles, doors and cupboards – not too sure but also the oven.
None of these are major, but all were a nuisance but we believe they should be included. Otherwise, we did enjoy the Lodge, its large spaces, multiple bathrooms and especially the views and location. Hyams Beach has to be one of the most beautiful beaches in NSW, if not Australia. We would stay again at White Lodge.