“Barefoot Cay is family!”

Barefoot Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 November 2010

There's a reason Barefoot Cay is #1 for Roatan. It's Mel. Actually it's Mel and all of the people at the Cay. It is truly a special place that I miss very much. I know we will travel there again in the future.

I got married at Barefoot Cay last year (I'm at the bottom of the wedding pictures on their website.) From months before we got there, to our entire stay, to an email wishing us a happy first year anniversary Mel has been AMAZING! Mel took care of everything- and became family. You'll see. You'll want to adopt her too. :)

How did I get to a little cay off an island off Honduras? Trip Advisor! Thank you to everyone who posted their experience. Since a wedding is so important and you want everything to go right I wanted to be sure- not sold to- but hear what other people have to say. Everyone was right!! Barefoot Cay is beautiful. Everyone there takes such good care of you, you won't have a worry in the world. The other especially awesome thing about Barefoot is how little it is. We almost had the cay to ourselves- which was WONDERFUL! It was like we owned the whole place- just for our wedding. Having a margarita (delivered right to you in the pool) on the morning of your wedding- with the rest of your family in the pool is a lifetime high! The weather allowed us to get married on the Dirka Dirka (that's what we called it- I still can't remember the name- it's the BEAUTIFUL dock they made that goes into the ocean.) After the wedding we were surprised with the little water taxi that came to pick us up and take us around the cay. My husband and I were at the front of the boat and people clapped for us as we tooled around the bay. (How much FUN!) After the wedding we had a beautiful lobster dinner on the second story floor (great view of the ocean) with candles and beautiful flowers everywhere. Mel even helped me set up a surprise- FIRE DANCERS for after dinner! I was the only one who knew that dessert would literally be on fire! Isn't that a dream! Getting married on your own island and having fire dancers dance just for you!? Completely and utterly awesome! You know what's also wonderful? Mel joined us for the party- and gosh- I really miss her. She's family, but I don't get to see her at Christmas. I need to go back!

It's funny how I came to be at Barefoot Cay. I was watching a budget travel show on PBS and Anthony's Key Resort was shown. The episode featured swimming with dolphins. I decided that was #1 on my bucket list of things to do. By going to Trip Advisor I found out that Anythony's is more of a divers resort (it really is) and Barefoot Cay is more leisure friendly. I'm glad I did my homework! Ya know what's funny though? My husband and our friend got scuba certified at Barefoot Cay. They weren't herded and tourist-ed like a bigger resort. They got their own instructor, their own lessons, and they both still have a total man-crush on Jack-O (sorry about the spelling- Jaquco?) Major Man-Crush! They still talk about how great it was to this day. In addition to that we went zip lining through pouring rain, we snorkeled the west shore (which is a MUST DO), and we ate splendidly (you won't need or want to leave the Cay for food or drink.) We even did my #1 Bucket List- we swam with dolphins! When we went to Anthony's we were soooo grateful that we were staying at Barefoot. The difference in atmosphere is quite stark. Granted, it's great to be on a warm island, but Barefoot is where you want to be.

A couple notes. People scared me about the sand fleas. I'm glad I went ahead. We have huge misquitos in Montana, so I figured I would tough it out. It was no problem! Now, granted, you need to use the bug juice that they have at the shop. The nice part is the bug juice isn't bad at all. It's a nice lotion. It is not super-deet, greasy and stinky like OFF. It's a nice suntan lotion that keeps the bugs off. Not a big deal.

Because Barefoot Cay is off the beaten path you will need transportation from the Cay when you want to check out the island. I loved it! This is not a place where I would want to take a scooter...or walk a dog...or go for a walk myself. Barefoot Cay makes you forget that you are in a country that is very different from the states. The driving is fast, reckless, and a danger to all moving animals, chickens, and people. I gladly went with the driver that was set up for us. I am soooo terribly bummed I don't remember his name. He made our trip! He knew where to go, how to get there, when to get there, and how long to stay. And the cost was totally reasonable. It was great to be at our own private Cay and then leave to go to "town" and have a driver that knew all the secret must-see places. Now- if you're a young person that needs to have a bar open at all times, music playing, and a market outside the front door, this isn't the place for you.

Overall, what I remember most about Barefoot Cay is how well we were treated. They took care of us. Mel especially. It was a true adventure done in complete style. I can't wait to go back again. Thank you, Barefoot Cay!! Thank you from all of us!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank kearnybird

Reviewed 11 November 2010

We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom villas with our best friends and travel companions....they had been to Barefoot cay on a previous vacation....they kept telling us...you have got to come with us it's a great place.....well great is not the word I would use....how about AWESOME.....the grounds are absolutely gorgeous...walk out my door and onto the beach with the water just a few yards away...the staff was so friendly and accommodating. They truly catered to your every need and want. I have never seen a group of people work to fulfull your every need. The food was delicious and the chef's top notch....we only ate one meal away from the Cay restuarant and it was not even close to the quality of food....I also used their spa facility and the massage I received was equal to any that I have received at luxury hotels.... the only down fall to our trip was the weather....we went in the rainy season 10/2/10 and it did rain a bit....Thanks again to all the staff especially Paul for his mad dash back to the airport with my laptop (that I forgot in the van !!!)

See you again,
Don and Amy Coker

Reviewed 9 November 2010

We absolutely LOVED this place. We stayed in the Bungalow and it was so much more than anticipated. I loved that the bedroom faced the beach! It was so nice to see it in the morning. The service was top notch, I feel so bad for forgetting the lady's name, but she brought us our breakfast every morning and if we asked for anything, she'd either anticipated it, or went to get it for us. The only drawback is that it's about 20 minutes from West Bay and West End. Also, if you want to eat, EAT EARLY! The food is delicious, but the kitchen closes early. It was a nice touch to have been given the option to order right before though! :) Since we only have 4 thumbs between the both of us, we're giving Barefoot Cay 4 thumbs up!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Despite the rainy weather, which is typical this time of year, sun prevailed and the accommodations were perfect. With timely and friendly service from airport to villa, relaxation begins immediately. A welcome cocktail along with a tour of the cay, and answers to any questions, you will realize customer service is first and for most. The views of the caribbean are all around the cay, the food is the best on the island, and the diving is not to be missed. Thanks for the great time Barefoot Cay and Barefoot Divers!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My husband and I traveled to Roatan at the end of September 2010. We stayed at Barefoot Cay. It was incredible! The people were so nice and helped us with whatever we needed.

When we arrived in Roatan (after 4 flights), our bags didn't arrive with us. After getting this straightened out at the airport, the Barefoot Cay shuttle took us to the hotel where a much needed welcome cocktail was awaiting us (Paul, our driver, was very nice and helpful). Mel and the rest of the staff were so sweet and helped us locate our luggage and get things straightened out with the airline. They also helped us find some shopping to buy some necessities to last us until our bags arrived the next day.

The food was great, too. They do make everything to order, so expect a bit of a wait. Relax and enjoy a cocktail and the appetizer. Everything tastes so good, so the wait is worth it. The staff is very friendly, the cooks even come out and say "hello" at times.

We stayed in a bungalow on the beach. Everything was wonderful! Very clean, no bugs (except for the sand fleas outside - cactus juice works great). They also have beach villas and the lofts above the dive shop that I am sure are just as nice. The pool is small, but it doesn't matter because the resort is small and quiet. It is the perfect size for this resort.

One more thing - We did the Discover Scuba class and loved it. Our instructor, Paul, was so patient with us. I was so nervous and he never made me feel out of place or too slow. We loved it so much that we plan to go back next year and do the entire certification. I also had a massage and a pedicure at their spa which was also great, too. No complaints!

All in all, Everything was perfect!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
14.9 km away
West Bay Lodge and Spa
West Bay Lodge and Spa
#3 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Barefoot Cay Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK