All reviewsmeal plandive shopwest enddive staffapple tvmeal packagefull kitchenpersonalized serviceguest servicesromance packagecouples massageprivate islandgrocery storedive sitesmain islandspent a weekthe entire staff
Reviewed 7 January 2018

Barefoot Cay's staff made us feel so at home while travelling. They accomodated our many special requests for marina access for our friends who were meeting us by boat, special meals, extra nights, and transportation around the island. They never once made us feel like our needs were an imposition. The resort is in a less-touristed area of the island with fewer attractions in the surrounding area unless you rent a car or get a driver. However, we found this to actually be quite nice. The resort is peaceful, quiet and beautiful. It is very well-maintained. And you could honestly stay the whole time without ever having to leave. They have good food, a nice pool, diving activities and a great bar. Truly an oasis for the traveler who just needs a break and some relaxation.

Room Tip: We loved the ocean-view rooms that included a kitchen. I would avoid the garden room next to the dining area.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

The staff at BCR is definitely 5 star. Everyone working there, from the dive shop to restaurant were very pleasant and accommodating. I want to shout out to Josh at guest services who went out of his way to help us out.
The resort itself is a bit rusty around the edges. Some deferred maintenance shows and the location is a bit peculiar, sandwiched in next to a container loading center and in the flight line of the airport. The island cottages were we stayed were very well appointed with full kitchens which I think is an attempt to make up for a not quite full service restaurant. The cottages are charming and clean. Cleaning staff very good and cleaned up our kitchen messes with excellence. The dive shop is super convenient and access to good dive sites couldn't be better. I found the diving in Roatan in general to be good, not great. Full service dive valet on every dive was great. Dive masters excellent.
So the resort has many more pluses than minuses and we enjoyed our stay immensely. If you are staying for any length of time, rent a car as the taxis are ridiculously expensive. Also be sure to plan your meals ahead, especially dinner as the restaurant needs lots of advance notice to make dinner.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2018

We stayed at Barefoot Cay for four days after Christmas and very much enjoyed our stay. The staff is incredibly responsive and kind and the food was seriously over the top great (but very pricey). If you are a diver you will have found your paradise. Incredible diving/snorkeling just minutes away from the hotel. We were traveling with our three young children and although they had a terrific time I would probably not recommend for young kids. Just not enough to keep them busy (although mine were obsessed with the ring game on the deck!). There is a small but nice pool next to the restaurant but it is not a "resort" pool which my kids are more used to. That being said, they splashed around and had a great time. If you are traveling with kids, West Bay is probably a better choice. But if you are a diver you can't go wrong with Barefoot Cay and the staff is simply the best.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Angelee B
Reviewed 20 December 2017

I came to Barefoot Caye to dive the famous "Mary's Place" which was amazing. I was treated to a full valet service, I mean I wasn't allowed to touch my gear! What a treat. The dive was fantastic and I would highly recommend this dive shop! The dive shop was run by an all Canadian staff. I was delighted to meet them all including the manager who was spearheading a 'Save the Sharks' project there on Roatan. They cleaned all my gear for me and let it dry while I had lunch. I ordered from the pool side, a most delicious salad that was so much more. I can't recall the name of it though. I was shown around the resort by a lady I met there and it is definitely an upscale very quiet private resort. Amazing place! I wished I was staying there but it was beyond my budget for a 3 week stay in Roatan. There was also a marina with some beautiful yachts docked there. The dive shop offered a Divemaster Internship and I was seriously considering it. I know the training would be top notch. If you have an opportunity to visit, stay, dive, or eat there, I highly recommend it. Say Hi to the Canucks for me!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank sun101goddess
Reviewed 4 December 2017

The resort taxi driver was unavailable so the driver sent an unknown (to resort) person— the very old pickup truck was broken down and we waited at the side of the road while 4-5 men tried to jump it and get it running (not a quick process). While waiting for someone to get the truck running, one of the men asked why we wouldn’t keep the money with the locals— there is apparently a real beach (swimming) at a cost of ~$45.00. Another person on our cruise later confirmed this option. I felt guilty— we should have supported the local people of the area. I hope you will!

Instead, we spent ~$350.00 for ”taxi” service and a private beach area & oceanfront villa/suite that ONLY included sand (and litter)— not ocean, water or swimming. The private beach area (sand only) in front of the villa, with lounge chairs, table/chairs and a hammock was unusable because an employee with a backpack blower was spraying an unknown chemical— aside from the smell, you could taste it in the air. It did not feel safe to be outside in our “private” area because of the unknown chemicals. We left the area immediately.

There was a crowd of people at the public dock, which was the only place to swim (small area)— we had to step over their belongings in order to enter the water via the stairs and walk over them as they sunbathed on the dock walkway. We were told that cruise/day visitors were limited to 4 adults (in writing when booking)— the crowd at the dock exceeded that claim, telling us that they were also from a cruise (later acknowledged as day guests by the resort). We left the area quickly.

Unfortunately, we shared all of this with management and they apologized, claimed they would look into it and stopped responding.

We also booked spa appointments and lunch, add-on drinks (additional ~$425.00), which were very nice; however, due to the accommodations, we left as soon that part was over.

NOT WORTH IT! We spent a small fortune and missed the country and beach (with ocean).

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christy B
BarefootCayResort, Owner at Barefoot Cay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Christy- we are deeply sorry that your stay with us was not satisfactory. I would like to add a few points of clarity to your review, however.

While the area taxi services on the island are usually very courteous and reliable, we are not affiliated with the one that brought you to our property from the cruise ship docks. We have voiced our concern to the owner of that company so that they are aware of the poor service you received on your trip into our resort.

As for the beach and palapa/dock areas that are adjacent to the villas, they are completely private to the resort guests only and not open to the general community otherwise. However, we cannot reserve these for the exclusive use of any one guest. It would not be fair to the other guests who also want to enjoy their stay on the Cay by taking advantage of these amenities.

Finally, our private island resort sits immediately adjacent to the MesoAmerican Reef, one of the most pristine ecological environments in the western hemisphere. While it makes for unmatched diving and snorkeling experiences, we are sorry the natural environment was not conducive to your swimming expectations for the area. We do not have control over that aspect of the the natural environment around the resort, nor would we want to alter such a pristine and wonderful ecosystem that is so important to Roatan.

We also do not spray any toxic chemicals at our resort. We do spray an all-natural blend of citrus elements to reduce sand flies on the Cay- this is a standard practice found throughout Central America where sand flies are quite common. We pride ourselves in being a leader in sustainable hotel practices, and have been recognized as such as a recipient of TripAdvisor's prestigious Platinum Green Leader Award.

Again, we are very sorry that you had a less than expected visit to Roatan, but hope you will come back to give the island another try at some point.