All reviews meal plan our honeymoon dive shop west end apple tv dive staff full kitchen meal package romance package couples massage guest services grocery store private island dive sites main island the entire staff spent a week
Reviewed 25 March 2017

This is the best resort I've ever been to that caters to divers and non-divers with equal ability. Barefoot Cay is a top-notch luxury resort with fantastic hospitality than can only be matched by its excellent dive operation and beautiful diving. The resort is intimate and beautiful. Bungalows are secluded with a large patio and private beach. The beds are amazing and the air conditioner will freeze you out if you want it. We will break the resort down in detail below but you can't go wrong staying here whether you are a diver or not.

This is for divers and non-divers! I've been to dive resorts all over the world that were great trips but this is the only one I've found that truly caters to everyone, even my non-diving wife, who for the first time, had no complaints about nothing to do while I went diving in the morning.

Bungalow: They have literally thought of every little detail to give you what you would want if you were at home. A fully equipped kitchen, a cell phone to use on the island, a wonderful outdoor shower and plenty of room to store your luggage without it being a constant reminder that you will leave at some point. There is a detailed book that tells you everything you need to know about the property and the island itself. There is an Apple TV with its own Netflix account so you can watch movies and several shows at night after dinner. HDMI cable means that you can bring your laptop and watch on the TV if you desire. The Wifi is stable and fast enough (9-16 MBPS down) and supported google voice phone calls while streaming Netflix.

Staff: Everyone we met was beyond friendly and helpful. Josh picked us up from the airport with a smile and later in the week arranged a half day tour of the Island. Steph helped us with our many questions and helped my wife arrange special birthday plans for me. The restaurant staff was amazing. Carlos in the morning and Samare were always upbeat and willing to accommodate any request we had. The afternoon Carlos (there are two) and Mathew kept us entertained in the evenings. Everyone made great drinks!

Romance package: Gents, this is a must-do if you want your significant other to feel spoiled! It includes a private dinner where they turn your patio into a beautiful dinner setting, a couples massage on the palapa, which is a gazebo on the water, and a breakfast in bed. You get champagne on ice upon arrival and flowers in your room.

Food: Chef David has put together a wonderful menu. The ceviche was an everyday must nosh after diving. Some of our favorites were shrimp and grits (I'm a southerner so that wasn't easy to say), the egg sandwich is way better than it sounds, it is one of my favorites. They make their own bread! The tropical salad and the gazpacho can't be skipped. For dinner, the pesto shrimp with feta orzo is fabulous. We happened to meet Gary the GM at most meal times. Great guy, warm and friendly, and takes pride in the resort.

Dive operations: This was one of the most professional dive operations I've had the privilege of using. The only better one I've been with as a liveaboard. There is a manifest with the boats, the divers names, and whether or not you are diving nitrox. Tex was my captain most days and Christian is the coolest Instructor, letting you dive your profile while keeping you safe. He swims so slowly on purpose that you will see the neatest little creatures. He has a knack for finding King crabs and spotted morays as well. The reef is amazingly healthy with abundant life. Not many pelagics when I was here. Saw one eagle ray, a small nurse shark, and one turtle. Schooling Wrasses are abundant and the topography is interesting. There is ample opportunity to snorkel here since the reef is so close. the dive shop will outfit you for free, just turn in your gear at the end of the trip!

I thoroughly enjoyed this place and will come back as long as it stays the same!

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wejinator
Reviewed 22 March 2017

Once again a wonderful stay on Barefoot. We loved staying in the Cottage amazing views and a lovely space, great for families. Loved the addition of Sunday Funday. Thankful for Josh's recommendations on activities. As always great to see Stephanie! Thankful, so many of the wonderful people who make your stay special are still working at barefoot. Lastly, food on this visit was excellent.

Room tip: If there's a bad room option I've yet to find it.
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Natasha L
Reviewed 19 March 2017

This was our first time in Roatan, and our stay was perfect from Stephanie picking us up at the airport through to Josh dropping us off. We stayed in one of the "Panoramic Ocean View" lofts, over the dive shop. The room was bright and spacious, with a very comfortable bed and a huge patio/balcony overlooking the boat slips and channel to the ocean. (My only wish would have been for screens on the patio doors - we left them open during the day: the cross breezes through the room combined with the ceiling fans kept the room very comfortable, but at night we closed them to keep the biting insects out, while I would have preferred to leave the doors open for the breeze.) The room was equipped with a coffeemaker as well as a good size fridge, stove and glassware, dinnerware and cutlery for four. There is a good sized grocery store (Eldon's) in both French Harbour and on the main near Coxen Hole, easily accessible by taxi for those that want to make some of their own meals. The grocery store also had a good selection of beer and wine, making it one stop shopping.

Housekeeping was diligent, keeping the room sparkling every day - including a different animal made from towels on the corner of the bed every day. I liked coming back to see each day's new creation!

We did not take the meal plan, but ate most dinners in the restaurant as well as a couple of breakfasts and lunches. Food was always tasty - for most dinner items, portion sizes were huge. (We ended up splitting an appetizer and main most nights, and sometimes still had leftovers for our next day's lunch.) Meal plan would be the way to go if you planned to eat three meals a day while there: since we didn't, a la carte worked out well for us. All the staff in the restaurant/bar were great, friendly and willing to share their knowledge of the island.

On our last day, since I couldn't dive, I had the Aloe Wrap and the "a la Barefoot" massage at the on site spa. I chose the aloe wrap from the perspective that I expected to be somewhat burnt by our last full day - turned out I wasn't but after all the sun and salt water, it was still refreshing and my skin felt great.

All of the staff we met were friendly, helpful and fluently bilingual in English and Spanish. While I'm calling out Stephanie, Josh, Matthew and Cherish in particular, there were many others that were equally helpful and made our stay special.

I particularly liked the resort's commitment to the community, from the pre-arrival suggestion that school supplies and/or medications would be gratefully received and distributed to the local schools/clinics to the option for people to donate to either program via their bills.

Room tip: Don't think there's a bad one in the place!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank KerryLL
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Great place to eat lunch on Sunday, very good selection on menu, with good prices on local beers. And local entertainment while you enjoy food and beverage. Staff very attentive and location perfect, right on the water.

Reviewed 11 March 2017

Barefoot Cay is a class act, from start to finish. We stayed at Barefoot Cay for 14 nights. At the start of the trip I was in contact with Stephanie who was very helpful and answered a myriad of questions. She emailed me directly and dealt with all of our requests. The vacation was very restful and serene. Gary and Trish are better than excellent hosts. They catered to our every need. Nothing was too much for them to attend to. Check in was a breeze, the staff are kind and very friendly. The food was amazing, the service terrific. No detail was left out. We stayed in Zeni which is the most beautiful cottage right on the beach. The room was stocked with every utensil and appliance you could think of including high end body products from l'occitane. My husband is a diver and his comment about the dive shop was "best dive shop ever". From the dive master to the help in the shop, everything is very professional. We will definitely return to this resort again.
Thomas and Raulina
Ontario, Canada

Room tip: Ask for Zeni, the cottage on the beach
  • Trip type: Travelled with family