All reviewspastryshore divingboat captaindive campdive mastersummer campbeach housenon diversper dayfishnight divingbrion jamesdining halldive staffserved buffet stylerinse tanksdive shop
Reviewed 4 June 2015

If scuba diving is your thing, this place is not to be missed. They like to think of themselves as a live aboard that happens to be on land and they're hitting the mark. There are 100 dive sites within a 30 minute boat ride and all of them are fantastic (or at least each one that I've been to). The highlights include the many ship wrecks nearby and especially CoCoView's own "front yard" that includes two walls, a shipwreck, and a DC-3 all diveable from shore.

The daily rhythm is typically to get on the boats at 8:30 for a trip to a dive site. After that dive and a sufficient surface interval, they'll drop you off at either of the walls or on top of the shipwreck for a dive with a shore exit right at the resort. One of the best aspects is the underwater navigation system of buoys, chains, and lines to assist in navigating: it's hard to get lost. Repeat the routine in the afternoon. 5 dives per day if you want them though most people average 3.75 or so.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Daneslennon
Reviewed 27 May 2015

As always the people at CoCo View go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as can be. this was our 14th trip to CoCo View and will not be our last. our boat Captain Gringo and our Dive Master Bob made diving fun and safe as the sea was a little choppy so thanks for the moon hole in the center of the boat made it a lot easier to get back on board . food was great as was expected. I think most people who were new to CoCo View will be back. so if you want to dive give CoCo View a try. dive as much as your computer allows Hope to see everyone next March

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Allen M
Reviewed 26 May 2015

Reviews on TA should spell out the basis for the poster's prior experiences. I am a PADI Instructor, certified in 1969, been traveling all around the planet diving. I go to many places with the European dive press (magazines), and altho I go to many places for free, my wife and I always gladly pay for our annual trip to Coco View. Between us, after this last trip, we have spent a sum total 85 weeks there over some 50 trips since 1984. I have seen the diving world evolve, I have seen CCV just getting better and batter at what it focuses upon being: a dive resort.

CCV is a diving machine, front to back. Where else can you get 27 dives in a week on a schedule even this old man with a limp can keep up with? It starts at the airport which is your typical Central American mess. CCV has it covered, worked out, and Nora (who is the CCV rep there) will make your transfers (both ways) as painless as possible. You'll not have to touch your bags. Get on the a/c bus, go to the resort.

At CCV, I suggest you re-hydrate upon arrival and begin to dive the next morning. The resort orientation is a quick 40 minute introduction to what is available and how to get the most out of your stay. It is followed by an in-water tour orientation of the "Front Yard", the resort's shore dive. You'll learn the path through the shallow reef, where the intact and upright 140' tanker ship lies in 35-65fsw, the DC3 wreck, all the underwater landmarks. The dive boats are perfectly suited by design for local conditions. They are just this side of ADA handicapped accessible, as is the rest of the resort.

Here are some of the local wrecks: http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/library/My%20Lifes%20a%20Wreck?sort=3&page=1

Dive boats leave the dock at 08:30 and 14:00. They give you a moored dive, then after a SI, they will drop you off on CCV Wall or Newman's Wall so you can make a leisurely return to the shore dive exit. With this schedule, you're on shore by 11:40 in time for lunch, then nap until the 2:00 boat. After the afternoon drop off dive, you'll be coming ashore about 4:45, and you'll have plenty of free time before dinner at 6:20. We usually do our night dive at 8 p.m., sometimes another at 10:00 p.m. Sleep, Eat, Dive, Dive, Eat, Nap, Dive, Dive, Nap, Eat, Dive, Dive, repeat for the week.

This zone of diving is unique in the Caribbean. CCV sits amid a 9 mile stretch of shallow vertical sunlit walls that are a nursery for the rest of the Ocean. It is what I refer to as "advanced diving", not because of current, nothing like that- it requires good buoyancy and close-up observational skills in order to see "the good stuff". Like this: http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/library/Roatan%20South%20side%20CoCoView?sort=6&page=1

Here are some images that really tell the story: http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/library/CoCoView%20Explained%20in%20Pictures?sort=6&page=1

What you get here is what you want: a very consistent and reliable product. There are very few dive resorts remaining in the Caribbean, and on Roatan there are arguably three remaining from my criteria. Far and away, here at Coco View, you have the best choice... IF you wanted a dive vacation- not a vacation with some diving. Your call. But CCV is the place that all of the professional highly regarded published SCUBA photographers hang their hats... the ones that shoot for the SCUBA magazines, the ones that publish critter identification guides, the ones for naturalist magazines. They all dive out of Coco View.

You can get a lot more and better information about CCV by visiting http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/

Best there is in the Mar Caribe.

Room Tip: All rooms have their benefits, over the water is nice, but on-shore rooms have their draw as well.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
5  Thank WillGrovel4Upgrades
Reviewed 22 May 2015

The best of the best!!!!! I have been to cocoview twice and absolutely love it!!! The diving operation is absolutely amazing. The staff is very friendly, they really love their jobs! I will definitely return to cocoview many more times!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank AJ K
Reviewed 18 May 2015

Let me say the person from New Zealand must have stayed somewhere other than CoCo View. The staff are all very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay excellent. We stayed in Bungalow B and it was very comfortable (great for divers).

DM (Robert) and Captain (Gringo) rotate between DM and Captain every week to keep them fresh for diving.. smart move I think.. The concern and care by our boat crew was outstanding. Lockers for your gear are less than 50 feet from your assigned boat very cool.

We were assigned to CoCo #1 and enjoy the group of divers very much. Al and Linda became our close friends and they have been to CoCo View 14 times. So it was great to have their insights. We even got to dive "Mary's Place" twice during our week which is abnormal and special.

I guess if you want 4 to 5 dives a day there is no better place that I know of. The drop dives at CoCo's Wall, Newman's Wall, Prince Albert wreck and Front Yard shore dive make doing those multiple dive quite easy. We were accompanied by a free swimming Moray for about 20 minutes on "Calvin Crack" that was absolutely crazy fun watching him swim along underneath everyone.

Food was very good to excellent. Entertainment was great.. We are now affirmed CoCo Nuts and will return no doubt.

Room Tip: Get over the water Bungalow or Cabana you will love the fresh sea air.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple