All reviewspastryshore divingboat captaindive campdive mastersummer campbeach housenon diversper dayfishnight divingbrion jamesdining halldive staffserved buffet stylerinse tanksdive shop
Reviewed 27 May 2015

As always the people at CoCo View go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as can be. this was our 14th trip to CoCo View and will not be our last. our boat Captain Gringo and our Dive Master Bob made diving fun and safe as the sea was a little choppy so thanks for the moon hole in the center of the boat made it a lot easier to get back on board . food was great as was expected. I think most people who were new to CoCo View will be back. so if you want to dive give CoCo View a try. dive as much as your computer allows Hope to see everyone next March

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Allen M
Reviewed 26 May 2015

Reviews on TA should spell out the basis for the poster's prior experiences. I am a PADI Instructor, certified in 1969, been traveling all around the planet diving. I go to many places with the European dive press (magazines), and altho I go to many places for free, my wife and I always gladly pay for our annual trip to Coco View. Between us, after this last trip, we have spent a sum total 85 weeks there over some 50 trips since 1984. I have seen the diving world evolve, I have seen CCV just getting better and batter at what it focuses upon being: a dive resort.

CCV is a diving machine, front to back. Where else can you get 27 dives in a week on a schedule even this old man with a limp can keep up with? It starts at the airport which is your typical Central American mess. CCV has it covered, worked out, and Nora (who is the CCV rep there) will make your transfers (both ways) as painless as possible. You'll not have to touch your bags. Get on the a/c bus, go to the resort.

At CCV, I suggest you re-hydrate upon arrival and begin to dive the next morning. The resort orientation is a quick 40 minute introduction to what is available and how to get the most out of your stay. It is followed by an in-water tour orientation of the "Front Yard", the resort's shore dive. You'll learn the path through the shallow reef, where the intact and upright 140' tanker ship lies in 35-65fsw, the DC3 wreck, all the underwater landmarks. The dive boats are perfectly suited by design for local conditions. They are just this side of ADA handicapped accessible, as is the rest of the resort.

Here are some of the local wrecks: http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/library/My%20Lifes%20a%20Wreck?sort=3&page=1

Dive boats leave the dock at 08:30 and 14:00. They give you a moored dive, then after a SI, they will drop you off on CCV Wall or Newman's Wall so you can make a leisurely return to the shore dive exit. With this schedule, you're on shore by 11:40 in time for lunch, then nap until the 2:00 boat. After the afternoon drop off dive, you'll be coming ashore about 4:45, and you'll have plenty of free time before dinner at 6:20. We usually do our night dive at 8 p.m., sometimes another at 10:00 p.m. Sleep, Eat, Dive, Dive, Eat, Nap, Dive, Dive, Nap, Eat, Dive, Dive, repeat for the week.

This zone of diving is unique in the Caribbean. CCV sits amid a 9 mile stretch of shallow vertical sunlit walls that are a nursery for the rest of the Ocean. It is what I refer to as "advanced diving", not because of current, nothing like that- it requires good buoyancy and close-up observational skills in order to see "the good stuff". Like this: http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/library/Roatan%20South%20side%20CoCoView?sort=6&page=1

Here are some images that really tell the story: http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Adelman/library/CoCoView%20Explained%20in%20Pictures?sort=6&page=1

What you get here is what you want: a very consistent and reliable product. There are very few dive resorts remaining in the Caribbean, and on Roatan there are arguably three remaining from my criteria. Far and away, here at Coco View, you have the best choice... IF you wanted a dive vacation- not a vacation with some diving. Your call. But CCV is the place that all of the professional highly regarded published SCUBA photographers hang their hats... the ones that shoot for the SCUBA magazines, the ones that publish critter identification guides, the ones for naturalist magazines. They all dive out of Coco View.

You can get a lot more and better information about CCV by visiting http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/

Best there is in the Mar Caribe.

Room Tip: All rooms have their benefits, over the water is nice, but on-shore rooms have their draw as well.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
5  Thank WillGrovel4Upgrades
Reviewed 22 May 2015

The best of the best!!!!! I have been to cocoview twice and absolutely love it!!! The diving operation is absolutely amazing. The staff is very friendly, they really love their jobs! I will definitely return to cocoview many more times!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank AJ K
Reviewed 18 May 2015

Let me say the person from New Zealand must have stayed somewhere other than CoCo View. The staff are all very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay excellent. We stayed in Bungalow B and it was very comfortable (great for divers).

DM (Robert) and Captain (Gringo) rotate between DM and Captain every week to keep them fresh for diving.. smart move I think.. The concern and care by our boat crew was outstanding. Lockers for your gear are less than 50 feet from your assigned boat very cool.

We were assigned to CoCo #1 and enjoy the group of divers very much. Al and Linda became our close friends and they have been to CoCo View 14 times. So it was great to have their insights. We even got to dive "Mary's Place" twice during our week which is abnormal and special.

I guess if you want 4 to 5 dives a day there is no better place that I know of. The drop dives at CoCo's Wall, Newman's Wall, Prince Albert wreck and Front Yard shore dive make doing those multiple dive quite easy. We were accompanied by a free swimming Moray for about 20 minutes on "Calvin Crack" that was absolutely crazy fun watching him swim along underneath everyone.

Food was very good to excellent. Entertainment was great.. We are now affirmed CoCo Nuts and will return no doubt.

Room Tip: Get over the water Bungalow or Cabana you will love the fresh sea air.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Faiths
Reviewed 18 May 2015

My husband and I both enjoyed our stay at CoCo View. This was our first time on Roatan so we did not know what to expect. The start of the trip was a little iffy, which is why I only rate 4 out of 5. The airport was fairly easy, and the CoCo View shuttle was waiting, and clearly marked. We were the last people through the Customs line, and they waited for us. You have a 15-20min-ish ride to the boat dock, and then take a little boat trek, 3 min tops- to get to the resort. The iffy part was we really didn't know where we were going or what we were doing once we arrived. You arrive at the dive dock end, and walk into the resort. If you've never been there you are kind of following everyone else. We had filled out the paperwork early, but weren't sure where the office was. Everyone was kind of wandering around. Most people had been there before but people weren't really paying attention to help those that were a little lost. We meandered into the office finally, and they were a little bit short. They acted kind of annoyed that we hadn't went into the Clubhouse area first, but we had never been there and just didn't know. They just pointed and told us to go over "there." Well, over "there" was to fill out the paperwork that we had already done before we arrived. They could have asked if we filled out the paperwork, and it would have saved us some confusion. And of course, after travelling nerves can get frayed so I was just a little cranky as well. Once we got into the room, we went and ate lunch, luggage arrived shortly after lunch. It's nice that they bring it, you don't have to schlep your bags. I wished they just had the mandatory orientation on the first day, because it would have saved us a lot of confusion. YOu can pay to do the early orientation, we just waited until the Sunday option.
Honestly, after the first day's road bump, and we got into the routine we had a great time.
Diving: The diving was great. Not as colorful as we had hoped, but the sea fans are giant and beautiful, we saw turtles, cuttlefish, a couple of massive super cool Green Morays, Black Spotted Eels, large Groupers, Seahorses...I could go on and on. In response to some other reviews on what you can see, well, it's an ocean...not an aquarium. They have seen Killer Whales migrating from time to time, Hammerheads, Whale Sharks, Manta Rays, etc. We didn't see any of these, but it sure didn't ruin our experience! A group did see a Manta on the CoCo View Wall on a night dive. It's all part of the fun, of what you might or might not see. We did see a HUGE pod of dolphins that popped up on our way back to dock, and Marco turned the boat around so we could ride alongside of them. Truly great. The house reefs are great, with unlimited shore and night diving. The wreck doesn't have a whole lot of life on it, but our friends saw a HUGE Grouper on it, and a very inquisitive large Green Moray. The walls we went to were beautiful. I actually like the walls here a bit more than Cozumel. The color was not as good as Cozumel, but it was beautiful nonetheless. Favorite dive was Mary's Place aka Mary's Crack. Absolutely cool dive.
Our Dive Master Robert was PHENOMENAL. We actually had a rescue situation where a diver ran out as in guage pegged on our very first dive. He had to breathe on his buddy's octo. Robert was right there, and in control of the situation. He kept both divers calm, let the rest of us know what was doing via underwater signing, and he brought them to the surface slowly, where he then had to swim both of them back to the boat, which was not close. He was knowlegable, found a lot of great stuff for us, including 5 huge Seahorses across the week...just a wonderful guy. We can't wait to go back to see him again.
Boat Captains: We had a VERY rough weather week. The sun was always shining, but the wind was always blowing. HUGE waves, rough waters, but the captains maneuvered through them incredibly skillfully. Gringo was AWESOME.
Food: It was okay. VERY overcooked a lot of the time. But I never left feeling empty. I'm not on dive vacations to eat, I'm there to dive, so it really didn't bother me.
Accommodations: We were in the Cabanas and it was AWESOME! Unobstructed view as you are on the water. So peaceful, and private. When I wasn't eating, or diving I was in the hammock on the porch. I actually liked the rustic-ness of the room. I didn't go into the trip expecting 5 Star accomodations. This is a dive resort, and we were there to dive. And Roatan is a pretty rustic island. I think there are these higher end types of places on the island, so if it's what you're looking for, don't go to CoCo View. We had no complaints. Free WIFI was awesome, and a strong signal. we LOVED the CoCo View pets. They had about 4 doggies that I made a point to love each day, they were my little fosters while I was away from my puppies at home. They have two cute bunnies, and at night you can spot the little rock crabs, and hermit crabs scuttling about. Super cool. They have some iguanas roaming about the grounds as well, you just feel like you're truly in an untouched paradise. No beach, except a little one up by the beach houses. But they have places to lay out if it's your thing. Great snorkeling.
Nurse: SHE IS AMAZING! She helped both Justin and I with various issues. Her goal is to keep you healthy and diving. The last day the husband got sick, sinus infection, and she helped tremendously. The kitchen made him some chicken noodle soup especially for him, and delivered to the room. They truly took care of us.
Overall, a great dive vacation. Only thing I would change is allow everyone to do the orientation on Saturday so all of the confusion and questions can be answered right away. Everything else was great!

Room Tip: Cabanas were amazing!
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple