“Fantasy Island has a great future, Renovations to this resort are very nice”

Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Reviewed 21 September 2017

We traveled to Fantasy Island Resort in July. Wonderful resort, beautiful beach and amazing tropical fish. The resort is going through a renovation, we had a renovated room, very nice furnishings, bright colors, we talked to several staff including the manager, Ivan, and they all said the renovations would be done by this December. The new front area has amazing murals which really pop out and catch your eye. Workers were working day and night. We snorkeled but did visit the Dive Shop to rent fins and we were impressed with the equipment they had and the dive boats, next time my husband will dive. We plan on returning in 2018, we really liked the resort, staff, food, accommodations, beach, ocean, and can't wait to see it when the renovations are complete. We were told they are building more rooms too. We will definitely be back, we expect to rate the property excellent when we return.

Room Tip: Every room has an Ocean View.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank K L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Beach is beautiful but that is the ONLY good thing. No hot water to shower. Stayed 2 nights an BOTH nights NO water at all in room. 3 of us staying in room and no water to flush toilet or wash hands. Staff could care less. Hotel is in dire need of repairs. Food was somewhat acceptable at best, low quality filler foods. Staff for the most part very indifferent and could care less about guests comfort. I did not expect luxury however even the basics were quite lacking. For the price charged I was very disappointed. I don't think it is asking for much to have a hot shower and available water 24 hours a day to flush toilet. Seems like owners are aware of issues but don't care as long as people keep spending their hard earned money to go there. Another family member made reservations for our stay. I would NOT have chosen this place. I am very easy to please however I do expect certain basics. I would NOT ever recommend this place as the owners do not even care to provide water for sanitation purposes. When staff told at 1 am that there was no water in my room they said maintenance staff not on duty and will come to work at 6:30 am. REALLY ?????? Second night same problem NO water and again told staff and was told same thing. Maintenence staff come at 6:30 am. I told them that it was unacceptable for guests to have to wait hours for water and to please call supervisor to get water issue attended to immediately for sanitation issues and that I paid a lot of money to come here and I expect water. Staff lied and said they called supervisor and maintenance would come right in to restore water. No one came and water never restored until 7 am. So again their guests simply do not matter. I do not know if they purposely turn water off at night to save money or system is in need of repairs. Either way they don't care. Refusing to address the problem is unacceptable and unfair to paying guests. Sliding glass doors in room broken, unable to open to go outside and enjoy the weather and view. Bathroom floor floods when shower used. Refrigerator in room not cold. Thankfully the air conditioning in room worked well. Very dated and basic room. No dresser so live out of suitcase. Common areas all in need of repairs. Rotten wood planks, pool in need of repairs, swim up bar closed in need of updating, WiFi only available in a small area in lobby and service signal is very weak constantly dropping WiFi service. Sad that people get taken advantage of. Again I do not recommend this place.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Debbie A
Reviewed 5 September 2017

For me this was a dismal hotel resort and a bit of a joke, but I can see how it might work for some. On the good side the surrounding water and reefs are beautiful and excellent snorkeling can be had just by walking over to the gazebo. There is also a nice swimming area and beach and the grounds are teaming with animals. The rooms and the food however and "institutional" at best. The staff is pleasant and somewhat indifferent. The whole place is run down and falling apart. There is no hot water and debris from either construction or demolition (hard to tell which) is abundant all over the grounds. Limited wi-fi is available in the lobby only. The buffet will keep you from starving and won't make you sick, but it is on par with what you might expect at a school cafeteria.
If a roof over your head, a full belly and a pretty nice bit of coast line are all you need, this will work. If you like things like hot water, fresh towels, attentive service, interesting or fresh food etc. then pass.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Napatac
Reviewed 14 August 2017

This was our 4th trip to Roatan. We thought we would give this resort a go and try something a little different from West bay. This place is on its own island so how bad can it be, right? Well.... anything people have to say that is negative (about pretty much anything in life) I always take with a grain of salt as I believe that you can't please all the people all the time. So my wife and I went in with low expectations hoping to walk away smiling. We didn't. The resort itself needs a lot of money input to restore it to its former glory. The food at best was a 5 out of 10. Most of the staff were ok, but some were down right rude. The bar situation was a joke. Thankfully we were prepared and brought some duty free drink with us. The island itself is a beautiful place and quite different from most locations we have been to around the world. Now, normally I would take the time to write a lengthy review with all kinds of informative information. But this place is not worth my time. Back to west bay we go.

Room Tip: Try to get a room where unlike me you have 2 or 3 repairs to do. (thankfully Im handy and don't...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Rob_69Trenton_Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2017

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort for 6 nights in July. After spending the 3 months leading up to our stay we read every review on Tripadvior and Google about Fantasy Island. As a small business owner I know how ridiculously critical people can be of a business that doesn't meet their insane expectations. Expectations need to be set appropriately for Fantasy Island. One month earlier I stayed at an all inclusive in Cancun, Mexico. After reading other peoples reviews of Fantasy Island I think most may expect an experience like those found in over developed resorts found in an over developed resort country.

As for the hotel itself, it is out dated. It needs some serious TLC. But this does not take away from how beautiful the resort is. First and most importantly the beach and snorkeling were spectacular. The beach was very quiet and clean. The snorkeling was great, just off the Gazebo I spotted an Eagle Ray just cruising around.

As for the room. We stayed in the 200 rooms close to the main lobby. The rooms were very spacious and very clean. My biggest qualm with my stay at this resort was there was NO hot water during our stay. I like my hot water showers after a long day running around Roatan. While this was major disappointment it did NOT ruin our stay. Think of a motel when it comes to the rooms, nothing fancy, but functional. The view from our balcony was really nice . Ocean view from almost all the rooms is what we heard.

The Food. The food was pretty good. I say this knowing that there are 7 billion people on this planet, all with different taste in food. It was set up buffet style and had a decent variety. In the end, we were not there for the food. There are several grocery stores close to the resort if you get desperate.

The hotel grounds we probably my favorite part. Sitting on it's own Island, the grounds are very jungle like and offer some great touches. My girlfriend spent a lot of time with the white faced Capuchin monkeys that live on the island. We nicknamed him Casper and he could be found most in the mornings hanging out where ever there is food.

The service. Alot of people complained about the service here. We never had any problems, even when our room wasn't ready we just hung out and had some drinks while we waited. Island time is real, and it carries over into how some people perceive service as being slow or non shallot. Just be patient and don't get upset, it doesn't help anyone to get angry o impatient.

In the end, this resort has a lot of potential, but if you like basic, quiet resort that has a great beach and location, you may want to consider Fantasy Island. But in the end, to each their OWN.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
19.3 km away
Henry Morgan Beach Resort
19.8 km away
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK