“Know what you are getting into...”

Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Reviewed 5 September 2017

For me this was a dismal hotel resort and a bit of a joke, but I can see how it might work for some. On the good side the surrounding water and reefs are beautiful and excellent snorkeling can be had just by walking over to the gazebo. There is also a nice swimming area and beach and the grounds are teaming with animals. The rooms and the food however and "institutional" at best. The staff is pleasant and somewhat indifferent. The whole place is run down and falling apart. There is no hot water and debris from either construction or demolition (hard to tell which) is abundant all over the grounds. Limited wi-fi is available in the lobby only. The buffet will keep you from starving and won't make you sick, but it is on par with what you might expect at a school cafeteria.
If a roof over your head, a full belly and a pretty nice bit of coast line are all you need, this will work. If you like things like hot water, fresh towels, attentive service, interesting or fresh food etc. then pass.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Napatac
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

This was our 4th trip to Roatan. We thought we would give this resort a go and try something a little different from West bay. This place is on its own island so how bad can it be, right? Well.... anything people have to say that is negative (about pretty much anything in life) I always take with a grain of salt as I believe that you can't please all the people all the time. So my wife and I went in with low expectations hoping to walk away smiling. We didn't. The resort itself needs a lot of money input to restore it to its former glory. The food at best was a 5 out of 10. Most of the staff were ok, but some were down right rude. The bar situation was a joke. Thankfully we were prepared and brought some duty free drink with us. The island itself is a beautiful place and quite different from most locations we have been to around the world. Now, normally I would take the time to write a lengthy review with all kinds of informative information. But this place is not worth my time. Back to west bay we go.

Room Tip: Try to get a room where unlike me you have 2 or 3 repairs to do. (thankfully Im handy and don't...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Rob_69Trenton_Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2017

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort for 6 nights in July. After spending the 3 months leading up to our stay we read every review on Tripadvior and Google about Fantasy Island. As a small business owner I know how ridiculously critical people can be of a business that doesn't meet their insane expectations. Expectations need to be set appropriately for Fantasy Island. One month earlier I stayed at an all inclusive in Cancun, Mexico. After reading other peoples reviews of Fantasy Island I think most may expect an experience like those found in over developed resorts found in an over developed resort country.

As for the hotel itself, it is out dated. It needs some serious TLC. But this does not take away from how beautiful the resort is. First and most importantly the beach and snorkeling were spectacular. The beach was very quiet and clean. The snorkeling was great, just off the Gazebo I spotted an Eagle Ray just cruising around.

As for the room. We stayed in the 200 rooms close to the main lobby. The rooms were very spacious and very clean. My biggest qualm with my stay at this resort was there was NO hot water during our stay. I like my hot water showers after a long day running around Roatan. While this was major disappointment it did NOT ruin our stay. Think of a motel when it comes to the rooms, nothing fancy, but functional. The view from our balcony was really nice . Ocean view from almost all the rooms is what we heard.

The Food. The food was pretty good. I say this knowing that there are 7 billion people on this planet, all with different taste in food. It was set up buffet style and had a decent variety. In the end, we were not there for the food. There are several grocery stores close to the resort if you get desperate.

The hotel grounds we probably my favorite part. Sitting on it's own Island, the grounds are very jungle like and offer some great touches. My girlfriend spent a lot of time with the white faced Capuchin monkeys that live on the island. We nicknamed him Casper and he could be found most in the mornings hanging out where ever there is food.

The service. Alot of people complained about the service here. We never had any problems, even when our room wasn't ready we just hung out and had some drinks while we waited. Island time is real, and it carries over into how some people perceive service as being slow or non shallot. Just be patient and don't get upset, it doesn't help anyone to get angry o impatient.

In the end, this resort has a lot of potential, but if you like basic, quiet resort that has a great beach and location, you may want to consider Fantasy Island. But in the end, to each their OWN.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Rmmatt
Reviewed 10 August 2017

My husband and I wanted a simple and relaxing snorkeling vacation. We spent 10 days at Fantasy Island in July. Check-in was fast and easy and one of the many friendly staff members showed us to our room. The room was basic, but very large with tiled floor, great a/c, large flat screen TV with many channels in English and Spanish, hair dryer in the bathroom, a safe, fridge and a nice balcony with a hammock. The room was cleaned daily by a very nice young man who made a different towel animal for us each day. Food was served buffet style with plenty of options. We enjoyed the meals and the wait staff were very helpful and friendly. Many drink options at the bar and the bartenders were wonderful, especially Wendy. The beach was beautiful and the snorkeling was incredible. We snorkeled for hours and hours every day. We saw an incredible amount of fish, sting rays, huge lobsters, squid, conch shells... I could go on and on about the snorkeling and I took hundreds of underwater videos. We booked an excursion right from the resort and our delightful tour guide, Charline, showed us all around Roatan. The staff at the resort are very friendly and work very hard. Renovations and upgrades were being made continuously. No, this is not an upscale or fancy resort and we knew this prior to booking. We had a fabulous, relaxing vacation and next time, we will stay longer.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sue D
Reviewed 5 August 2017

My husband and I purchased day passes for the resort ($100 for the two of us,excluding transportation from the port). The passes were all inclusive (lunch and drinks). I choose this resort due to beautiful photos of the beach and snorkeling from their gazebo. Upon our arrival we paid our fee in cash. The young receptionist said we needed wrist bands but she didn't have any. She said they would be brought to us on the beach. After 45 minutes of swimming I went to the bar for some drinks and was refused because I didn't have a wrist band. I returned to the front desk to ask for the bands. A different staff member was present and stated he had no record of our arrival or of our payment. I described the girl who took our money and the staff stated she had already left for the day. I requested to see the manager and ended up speaking with several young staff- none of whom appeared to be the manager. The whole situation was very shady. After explaining our situation to numerous young staff members they said it was "ok" to stay. I returned to the bar get a drink and received a rude "I'm not open yet". She agreed to provide us with some water. I again returned to the bar at "opening time" and asked for a pina colada. The bartender provided me with the drink and said there was a charge. I was stunned and, once again, explained our day pass and what it included. The bartender then stated only certain drinks are included in the day pass. The staff put out "snacks" by the bar which were a slice of cheese between pieces of white bread. By lunch time I was so disgusted by the confusion and hassle that I just went upstairs to the lunch buffet for some fruit. No surprise that more staff (many teenagers just hanging out) again questioned me (or interrogation is more like it) about my day pass. I gave up and went back to the beach. While the beach is beautiful, the facilities are very old, dirty and management/organization was non existent. There are many other options for resort day passes on Roatan.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
19.3 km away
Henry Morgan Beach Resort
19.8 km away
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK