1,021 results
All reviewsfishstar resortwest endporkthree starguinea pigswhite faced monkeysfriendly monkeyshenry morganmain beachbuffet stylecoral reefnight lifewhole weekevery mealmarine lifelaid back
Reviewed 14 August 2017

This was our 4th trip to Roatan. We thought we would give this resort a go and try something a little different from West bay. This place is on its own island so how bad can it be, right? Well.... anything people have to say that is negative (about pretty much anything in life) I always take with a grain of salt as I believe that you can't please all the people all the time. So my wife and I went in with low expectations hoping to walk away smiling. We didn't. The resort itself needs a lot of money input to restore it to its former glory. The food at best was a 5 out of 10. Most of the staff were ok, but some were down right rude. The bar situation was a joke. Thankfully we were prepared and brought some duty free drink with us. The island itself is a beautiful place and quite different from most locations we have been to around the world. Now, normally I would take the time to write a lengthy review with all kinds of informative information. But this place is not worth my time. Back to west bay we go.

Room Tip: Try to get a room where unlike me you have 2 or 3 repairs to do. (thankfully Im handy and don't like to change rooms)
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Rob_69Trenton_Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2017

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort for 6 nights in July. After spending the 3 months leading up to our stay we read every review on Tripadvior and Google about Fantasy Island. As a small business owner I know how ridiculously critical people can be of a business that doesn't meet their insane expectations. Expectations need to be set appropriately for Fantasy Island. One month earlier I stayed at an all inclusive in Cancun, Mexico. After reading other peoples reviews of Fantasy Island I think most may expect an experience like those found in over developed resorts found in an over developed resort country.

As for the hotel itself, it is out dated. It needs some serious TLC. But this does not take away from how beautiful the resort is. First and most importantly the beach and snorkeling were spectacular. The beach was very quiet and clean. The snorkeling was great, just off the Gazebo I spotted an Eagle Ray just cruising around.

As for the room. We stayed in the 200 rooms close to the main lobby. The rooms were very spacious and very clean. My biggest qualm with my stay at this resort was there was NO hot water during our stay. I like my hot water showers after a long day running around Roatan. While this was major disappointment it did NOT ruin our stay. Think of a motel when it comes to the rooms, nothing fancy, but functional. The view from our balcony was really nice . Ocean view from almost all the rooms is what we heard.

The Food. The food was pretty good. I say this knowing that there are 7 billion people on this planet, all with different taste in food. It was set up buffet style and had a decent variety. In the end, we were not there for the food. There are several grocery stores close to the resort if you get desperate.

The hotel grounds we probably my favorite part. Sitting on it's own Island, the grounds are very jungle like and offer some great touches. My girlfriend spent a lot of time with the white faced Capuchin monkeys that live on the island. We nicknamed him Casper and he could be found most in the mornings hanging out where ever there is food.

The service. Alot of people complained about the service here. We never had any problems, even when our room wasn't ready we just hung out and had some drinks while we waited. Island time is real, and it carries over into how some people perceive service as being slow or non shallot. Just be patient and don't get upset, it doesn't help anyone to get angry o impatient.

In the end, this resort has a lot of potential, but if you like basic, quiet resort that has a great beach and location, you may want to consider Fantasy Island. But in the end, to each their OWN.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Rmmatt
Reviewed 10 August 2017

My husband and I wanted a simple and relaxing snorkeling vacation. We spent 10 days at Fantasy Island in July. Check-in was fast and easy and one of the many friendly staff members showed us to our room. The room was basic, but very large with tiled floor, great a/c, large flat screen TV with many channels in English and Spanish, hair dryer in the bathroom, a safe, fridge and a nice balcony with a hammock. The room was cleaned daily by a very nice young man who made a different towel animal for us each day. Food was served buffet style with plenty of options. We enjoyed the meals and the wait staff were very helpful and friendly. Many drink options at the bar and the bartenders were wonderful, especially Wendy. The beach was beautiful and the snorkeling was incredible. We snorkeled for hours and hours every day. We saw an incredible amount of fish, sting rays, huge lobsters, squid, conch shells... I could go on and on about the snorkeling and I took hundreds of underwater videos. We booked an excursion right from the resort and our delightful tour guide, Charline, showed us all around Roatan. The staff at the resort are very friendly and work very hard. Renovations and upgrades were being made continuously. No, this is not an upscale or fancy resort and we knew this prior to booking. We had a fabulous, relaxing vacation and next time, we will stay longer.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sue D
Reviewed 5 August 2017

My husband and I purchased day passes for the resort ($100 for the two of us,excluding transportation from the port). The passes were all inclusive (lunch and drinks). I choose this resort due to beautiful photos of the beach and snorkeling from their gazebo. Upon our arrival we paid our fee in cash. The young receptionist said we needed wrist bands but she didn't have any. She said they would be brought to us on the beach. After 45 minutes of swimming I went to the bar for some drinks and was refused because I didn't have a wrist band. I returned to the front desk to ask for the bands. A different staff member was present and stated he had no record of our arrival or of our payment. I described the girl who took our money and the staff stated she had already left for the day. I requested to see the manager and ended up speaking with several young staff- none of whom appeared to be the manager. The whole situation was very shady. After explaining our situation to numerous young staff members they said it was "ok" to stay. I returned to the bar get a drink and received a rude "I'm not open yet". She agreed to provide us with some water. I again returned to the bar at "opening time" and asked for a pina colada. The bartender provided me with the drink and said there was a charge. I was stunned and, once again, explained our day pass and what it included. The bartender then stated only certain drinks are included in the day pass. The staff put out "snacks" by the bar which were a slice of cheese between pieces of white bread. By lunch time I was so disgusted by the confusion and hassle that I just went upstairs to the lunch buffet for some fruit. No surprise that more staff (many teenagers just hanging out) again questioned me (or interrogation is more like it) about my day pass. I gave up and went back to the beach. While the beach is beautiful, the facilities are very old, dirty and management/organization was non existent. There are many other options for resort day passes on Roatan.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank csacks2016
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Horrible "resort". Please whatever you do, do not stay at this hotel. You will regret it. My family and I came for a vacation and now we feel like we need another vacation from this vacation we had anticipated. There are so many things wrong with this "resort". To begin with the very first day we got here, my cousins son got injured in the pool. It was so bad he has to be taken to the hospital. Not to mention it seems like they literally dump gallons of Clorox in the pool so much that my brothers brand new swim suit was completely faded after one day.
Also upon arrival, there is no one to greet you and they also don't have anyone to take your luggage to your room. They didn't even have someone to show us the room. They asked the cleaning lady to show us the way.
If you are like us, having gone to multiple all inclusive resorts you have expectations, this "all inclusive resort" only provides you with 6 options of food and only 2 types of desserts. They were always late when serving the meals. They also limit you in drinks in this so called all inclusive resort. We were a group of 8 people. We had gone to get 6 drinks for everyone and kindly for one more and the bartender refused to give it to us.
Every employee at this resort has the same horrible attitude that makes you wonder who even owns this establishment. From the moment you enter the front gate it seems like the last time they cleaned up the place was years ago.
Excursions were also extremely difficult to book here. We had our hopes up on going to cayos cochinos and the lady there said they only go there on Tuesdays and Wednesday. Not to mention she said it would be $200 usd per person while the paper on the desk said $180.
Also the day before we left the roof started leaking in our room. When checking out the front desk didn't even bother to say thank you for coming or anything polite for that matter. Absolutely horrible. The list can go on and on. Please whatever you do, do not stay at this resort. Even if you have already booked your stay here, it would be better if you lose the money and go book your stay somewhere else. This place makes you wish you never even came to roatan.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family