“Romantic getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ampleforth
Carr House Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Ampleforth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Romantic getaway”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

To me this is the perfect getaway. Seriously

Large bedrooms with four-poster beds and huge en-suites. So warm and cosy with two down duvets (I suspect the top one is an 'eider-down'?) and a multitude of pillows and cushions. The decor is funky/unusual in some rooms, but if I've have wanted bland I'd have stayed in a Travel Lodge..... Check out the pictures.

Rooms this well appointed are found in five star hotels, not guest-houses (I don't even own a DAB iPhone dock at home!.. Malton Brown cosmetics! Thank you very much). There's also a TV, Teas and Coffees, hairdryer etc etc. I was also impressed that there was any phone reception (in truth I was hoping to be completely unobtainable!) and to get WiFi was a major bonus.

I cannot fault our Hosts hospitality which is warm and patient. And the breakfast deserves the hype! Bacon, eggs, sausage, mushrooms, tomato, toast, homemade jams, cereal, yoghurt as standard; or any other requests if they can be filled including kippers.... or trifle

I can't imagine that anything would be too much bother for Anna as she went out of her way and followed us to give me my glasses back when I left them behind on leaving. This is 'above and beyond service'. And each time we have stayed we've received a little gift on leaving (the curd cakes were scrummy) which really does 'ice the cake'.

This is my second visit. I didn't review the first time as I didn't want 'the word to get out' and it be fully booked each time I wanted to come. That was selfish, sorry. This time we stayed for Valentines and we were the only ones there, which was great for us, not so good for the tourist industry...This place deserves to be busy.

This isn't a 'farm' but does have dogs and cats which is a great for me as I love them.

Now to answer some of the mean spirited reviews:
How can a breakfast be over-hyped? Please, if you weren't impressed then I feel sorry for you.
A set time for breakfast is common in guest houses, why didn't these people just ASK? Why put up a bad review?? It makes me so mad! This is not a major chain with a staff of a 100, its one person. Get a grip.
This is marketed as a farm, complaining about dogs barking is a bit off.
BTW Tripadvisor makes it difficult for a business to 'answer' negative feedback.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kazschofy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Anna responded very promptly to our phone message requesting accomodation. Full instructions were emailed to us to ensure a trouble free arrival at Carr Farm. On arrival, we were greeted by Anna, who escorted us to our warm well-presented accomodation. An explanation about the facilities was offered to enable us to relax and settle after our long drive. She quickly returned with fresh milk and a selection of home-baked treats for us to enjoy with our tea and coffee.
Anna was full of information and interesting stories about the surrounding areas, which she shared with us as we ate our delicious breakfast next morning. Then off for a day of exploring Yorkshire, Anna provided us with brochures, recommendations and suggestions to make our stay a success. Our second night was just as welcoming,followed by another big breakfast...too many choices! Our 2 night visit was very pleasant and we were even farewelled with more of Anna's home-cooked treats to send us on our travels. Thanks Anna and Jack for an enjoyable stay. Sue & Peter Melbourne, Australia.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Rooms were clean and comfortable with rather strange heraldic decor which was quirky and characterful. Our only gripe was with the breakfast which was appalling. The information provided in our room bigged it up as if we were to expect a banquet but the reality was far from it. The "full Yorkshire" consisted on poached virtually hard boiled egg, watery bacon and unpleasant sausage plus a large amount of mushrooms and uncooked tomato. The alternative was unseasoned microwaved scrambled egg. The butter actually tasted off and cereals were stale. Milk was provided for beverages only on the first day of our stay. Had the breakfast been half as good as it was made out to be we would have been satisfied but we left feeling very disgruntled and disappointed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank John S
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

My husband and I had a delightful 2 night stay in mid-December visiting old haunts. We were very impressed by the warm rooms and ample hot water. We enjoyed full english breakfast at 8.30am each morning which set us up for the day (Excellent!). My husband enjoyed long walks with Jack's Gundogs - as I am not a dog lover this was an extra special treat for him. We will be returning early in 2012 with friends who want to enjoy the countryside experience.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley N
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Anna makes you welcome from the start.The rooms are of the highest quality and the breakfast are typical Yorkshire.She will also cook evening meal if requested,but the local pubs serve very good food at reasonable price.well placed for walking and also not far from the coast and moors.All in all a very warm and excellent experiance.

Room Tip: All rooms of excellent quality