All reviews bubble bar ao yai beach good size place to stay main building cleaned daily per night tourists anton wifi island accommodation fridge waves motorbike surfing chill
Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

I absolutely loved my 5 days at Phayam Lodge, and genuinely didn't want to leave. I managed to score perfect cloudless skies during the first week of March, and my bungalow 30 metres from the beach let me enjoy the best of it.

The staff were great, the room was comfortable, well sized and clean, the mattress perfect for me and the air conditioning both needed and appreciated.

Also, their beachside bar is one of the best I've ever stumbled across. Small, comfortable and with friendly staff. Wonderful. (To be fair, Koh Phayam is that kind of place and amazing beach bars and restaurants abound.)

Sure, the internet connection is quite poor, but on a remote tropical beach, what do you expect??

It's many years since I've found a place where I've managed to relax so thoroughly and I really do hope to be back in a year or two.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

We just spent 3 days at phayam lodge. Whilst we were there we explored the whole island and we came to the conclusion that phayam lodge had the nicest bungalows and location. The bungalows are more expensive than most places, but they are also bigger, very clean and have a fridge and AC. The only let down was no hot water, but you get used to it! You are in walking distance to lots of restaurants, JJs was great food and reasonable.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2016

We stayed in the more spacious bungalows about 50 metres from the beach. The one closest to the the beach are a little bit smaller, but also very nice. There's A/C and electricity the whole day, and the wifi was also ok. The rooms are very nice and very clean.

There are also family bungalows situated a little further from the beach.

You can rent a scooter at a fair price from the lodge, and they also arrange boat tours, with fishing and snorkeling. The snorkelig tour was very nice!

Their price levels are a little high, considering it's in Thailand.

The best things about this place are the beautiful sunsets you can enjoy in the Bubble Bar, the very nice beach, clean and spacious bungalows and the very good service from Christer and Ing.

Room Tip: The family bungalows are situated about 100 metres from the beach, and the bungalows for couples are closer to the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at phayam lodge in the off season! The Bungalow was super nice and everything was really clean!! Krister and Ing were very lovely and welcoming :) They also have good surfboards for rent!! we would definitely stay there again!! highly recommended!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2016

We booked a few nights here for when we first arrived on the island, thinking we'd likely move somewhere cheaper once we got our heads around the island; as it happened we didn't want to leave. Luckily we didn't as I got sick (nothing to do with Phayam Lodge or the food, I must add) and the aircon was a total godsend. As was the kind service, and having the room cleaned daily, with water bottles added to our fridge each day.

Phayam Lodge is certainly at the pricier end for Phayam, but if you like things spotlessly clean and of a standard that would be considered high anywhere in the world then it will be worth it for you. We saw maybe one ant in the bungalow in the 10+ days we were there. We started off in a large 3 bed bungalow at the back (that's all that was available) which, although lovely, wasn't right for the 2 of us and I felt sad not being able to see the sea, but if you have a larger family it would be perfect. When we were going to move elsewhere I spotted the first little bungalow right by the beach and coudn't stay anywhere else; then we could fall asleep to the sound of the sea and play in the sand right outside, and the view and everything was perfect.

The food is good, breakfast is fantastic, juices lovely; but the Thai food not the best I've had on the island. Everyone who works there is very kind, incredibly helpful and the service is impeccable.

It would be good if wifi worked in the bungalows, but really who needs the Internet when you're in such a lovely place.

Feel a bit bad about giving Phayam Lodge only 4 stars - the only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is quite personal and probably more about me that the resort itself - it felt slightly lacking in a certain soulfulness - slightly TOO perfect and clean and a/c. I sometimes felt we could be anywhere in the world in a top resort and I wanted to feel more Thailand feelings.

The grounds around the bungalows could have been made a bit prettier too, with a bit more personality. Really I wish I could give it 4.5 stars, maybe 4.8 stars. It was very nearly perfect, and if you are squeamish about things like wildlife in your bathroom and like a comfortable a/c night's sleep then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: the bungalows at the front by the beach have the best views by far. occasionally wifi worked inours, at the end of the bed!
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family