All reviews beer garden bird watchers wine list through secret escapes an enjoyable stay sea bass smoked fish coastal path the pub north norfolk booked a table both nights lovely location weekend break well worth a visit an evening meal a lovely stay
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

My partner and I were looking for lunch after a visit to the windmill and a trek down to the beach and back.

Looked okay from the outside. Inside, alarm bells should have rung. They store their ketchup sachets and cutlery inside on a table near the doors. It was pretty empty inside for a Saturday lunchtime and the reception, while not unwelcoming per se, was not friendly either.

Food prices were incredibly expensive. More than £15 for a vegetarian main... at lunchtime too. I am no cheapskate but this is excessive. And then there’s a 12.5% service charge of you aren’t careful.

I was not prepared to pay that much. So I opted for the vegetarian spring rolls with chilli sauce from the bar snacks menu. You only get three. £6.50. My partner had a cheese and tomato ciabatta with hand cut chips. £9.95. (The prices are round about these, maybe. Not quite exact).

I’ll be honest, the food was very tasty, hot and freshly cooked. The wait was quite reasonable too. But the cost can not be justified. Considering what the ingredients were, and they are pretty basic ones, it was just too expensive for what was on offer.

Especially if you had paid the service charge. We weren’t even asked if the food was okay.

The toilets, at first glimpse looked quite posh, but actually they are pretty grubby and not cleaned to what you would expect the standard to be if this venue lived up to the cost of its food.

There were no smiles from the staff and there was just no atmosphere.

We left disappointed and still hungry because though the food tasted good, it did not live up to the prices.

We did not pay the service charge... this is discretionary, but they don’t like knocking it off. But with a grim atmosphere and less than clean facilities and an already expensive menu, I don’t see what I’m paying for if I had paid it.

All in we paid over £25 for a coffee, large Diet Coke, ciabatta and chips and 3 spring rolls with a few leaves. Nothing about the service or venue meant this price was worth it.

A real shame because this could be a great place if they cleaned up their act.

5  Thank 226oliviab
Reviewed 24 March 2018

An old hotel, but nothing old about the quality of our room and the service provided by the manager.
Top quality room with excellent views across the marshland. Very comfortable large bed and great hot bath; room 4.
We ate in the restaurant and were very pleased with the quantity and quality of the food. The manager who also served our food and served at the bar could not be helpful enough and made our stay.

Room Tip: Room 4 larger and great views.
Reviewed 23 March 2018

Unfortunately for me and my husband we decided to go for a drink and meal at a local pub where we were staying. The bar server was incredibly rude to my husband and very unwelcoming, he asked if he was buying anything in a rude manner, when we went to sit down, since my father-in-law was buying a round of drinks for 6.

We decided not to bother with food, since the service was incredibly rude. Decor inside was very well-worn and could do with updating. The toilets stank of fish and needed a new lick of paint and a new lock. I would definetely not recommend this pub at all.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank SDReviewed
Reviewed 22 March 2018

We found this hotel on Groupon and were keen to stay here as we have holidayed in the area over the passed 12 years. The reviews seemed mixed but we have just returned from a wonderful 2 day get-away. We had a warm welcome and so did our dogs. Our room was 2 floors up and quite snug but had lovely views over the marshes across the road.
The coastal path is just over the road and provides fantastically good views of the bird-life in the area, Marsh Harriers wheeling around and a barn owl hunting! We saw a pair of Marsh Harriers from our room window.
The breakfasts were top-class with very good choice and served with a smile. Our deal included a really good afternoon tea served across the road in their pub garden on a sunny day in March. We could have eaten inside as the bar is dog-friendly.
We look forward to returning when they have another Groupon deal.

Room Tip: Room number 8 is 2 floors up but worth it for the views!
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Sadly in this day and age there are still establishments who don’t deserve to be there. 10 of my pals and I (aged between mid forties to sixties) every year descend on an area for walks pub lunches and a lot of fun. The George at Cley should have been called Hobsons as it seemed to be the only centrally located pub. (Ie no flipping choice)
Gentle reader may I humbly suggest that if you find yourself in Cley and come across the George KEEP WALKING. The guy obviously saw us coming and rubbed his hands together. The charges he made for 5 pints and 5 hot drinks came to nearly £5 per person.He even had the cheek to charge service. He was boorish rude and unwelcoming. The pub was tired cold and boring. Be warned.

Room Tip: I would not want to use this hotels loo.
4  Thank Charles_P_U177QK