All reviews st martin within walking distance huge terrace dawn beach grand case fresh french pastries wonderful hosts gas grill beautiful bungalow each morning staying weeks orient beach short walk down the hill small grocery bakery items gated parking area week in march
Reviewed 12 January 2009

This place is a gem and GREAT value for money with a good atmosphere, clean, practical and pleasant. So much better than the big scale resort hotels we saw all over St. Maarten in our opinion. The property is quiet and has a nice little pool area, is close to the marina with good restaurants and has fantastic views. The management is very helpful and you can park your rental car behind a gated area in the front. It is also nicely located right on the border of the french and dutch side and close to good beaches. We like to kiteboard and le Galion beach just minutes away was perfect. We loved our stay except for one thing...

We got broken into our bungalow on the second night of our stay while we were out to dinner. We stayed in one of the bungalows on the lowest level, close to the path along the marina so it is easy for anybody to get up on the terrace. "They" found a pick axe on the nearby construction site and took the whole patio door out to enter. We found the pic below our terrace the next morning. We had the patio door locked and used the pin for extra security but obviously this did not deter the thiefs. I would advise to shut the outside metal doors as well when you leave the room as this will make a lot of noise to open and will hopefully draw attention and help them stay out.

Make sure you put your small valuables in the safe provided in your bungalow and take all other valuables with you when you leave the room. They took the tv, our sunglasses, videocamera, laptop, i-pod, dive computer, a bag, a lot of clothes, and the place was a big mess. Good thing they didn't pry open the safe as well.

We then spent the day waiting for the police who only came in the afternoon to take our statement and dust the place for fingerprints. We also did not want to leave our remaining things unattended in the room without a door. David did get it fixed at the end of the day.

Other than this incident, this place is wonderful and I can highly recommend it to everyone who is looking for a quiet, more intimate and relaxing atmosphere on the French side of St. Martin without breaking the bank. Our studio bungalow was meticuously decorated and had a cozy feeling to it with wooden beams and tasteful furnitures. The beds are comfortable. The fan and air condition work great. There is a flat screen tv with two USA, some french and dutch channels, The bathroom with shower is good. The kitchenette is perfectly outfitted with everything you need. Just go to Le Grand Marche supermarket for some provisions and you are all set. There was even a little coolbox and a parasol for the beach. You can order baguettes, pain au chocolat/raisins or croissants the day before at the reception and enjoy them the next morning while taking in the stunning views from your terrace. Our bungalow ( # 8) was in between two others but still felt private and it seems that they are all a little different with the lower level ones more updated. # 9 next to us looked great with a bedroom loft. They all come with comfortable patio furniture and a gas grill. Another great thing is the WIFI.

The area of Oyster Pond was our favorite on the island for accommodation. We do not care much for the Dutch side with its casinos and crowds and felt we made the right choice staying on the French side instead. Other good beaches were baie rouge and long bay.

We would definitely like to come again!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank happytravel2009
Reviewed 10 January 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Les Balcons D' Oyster Pond for 7 nights from Jan 2 through Jan 9. I found the hotel using TripAdvisor and reading the reviews and looking at the pictures, which were sparse. So I was taking a bit of chance on the place, but when I got there I was pleasantly surprised that it was EXACTLY what I'd seen in the photos and read about. We stayed in Poolside Bungalow No. 5 and it was very cute with a caribbean flair. The first thing you notice when you arrive is the beautiful, huge terrace that looks out over the marina. It's gorgeously furnished and my boyfriend nearly died when he saw the huge gas grill. When you enter the room there are two twin beds pushed together to make a large bed, a small but functional kitchen, a very cute and modern bathroom, and a small sitting area--all brightly colored and nicely decorated. There was a flat screen TV on the wall, free wireless internet, DVD movies, books and music CDs and a radio/CD payer in the room. Also there was lots of closet space and drawers. As for location, this place is on the French side of the island in a very quiet and remote section. It's not 'close' to anything except for a few beaches (Dawn Beach and an unnamed beach right near horse back riding). It's about 10 minutes from Phillipsburg, 20-30 minutes from Marigot market, 10 minutes from Galion Beach, 15 minutes from French Cul de Sac, 20-45 from the airport and the attractions near that area (casinos, restaurants, bars, etc.) depending on traffic which can be bad. This place is more suited for couples seeking a quiet vacation, not friends on spring break or looking to party. The only small complaints I had is that once the owners of the bungalow found out I had my small maltese dog with me they went and complained to management EVEN though I got permission to bring her from management. In the end there was nothing the owners could do but just knowing that they had a problem with it made me uncomfortable (plus, they live in a bungalow right near ours so I felt like they were spying on us.) In addition, the screen was broken which the owners had to replace while we were there, which increased the amount of times I had to see them and I got eaten alive by mosquitoes.
But these are small grievances and nothing that would keep me from returning. It's obvious that the owners truly care about the place though and they were very nice regardless of the dog miscommunication. I should also note that all the bungalows are different, so I can only vouch for No. 5.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ms_NikNik
Reviewed 8 January 2009

My girlfriend and I had a short 5 day stay in St. Martin over the New Year's holiday. We stayed at Les Balcons and I could not have been more happy with the place.

We flew into SXM in the afternoon, but because of bridge traffic, we didn't make it to Les Balcons until just after dusk. I only had a general idea of where it was, but found the place in a jiffy. Carine was in the office waiting for us.

We completed the reservation and she handed over the keys and the security gate key fob and she escorted us to our villa. We stayed in #17, a beautiful one room with a large terrace patio overlooking oyster pond. As soon as she opened the door I was happy. Simply and tastefully decorated. She gave us a quick once over the place showing us the fully stocked kitchenette, where the room safe was, and explained their security features.

For those of you worried about crime, don't be. There's a room safe, the door had a single deadbolt with a top and bottom of the door lock that was set with a quick twist of a knob. The patio doors had 4 measures in place that would deter the most aggressive of thief. Again though, the area gave no impression that you should have anything to fear.

We took full advantage of the kitchenette. We grilled out on the terrace using their gas grill one night. Each morning we had coffee or tea on the terrace. To be honest, we spent most of our time on the terrace when we were there. You could see off to the east over Babbitt (sp?) Point and out through the bay opening to St. Barts.

The little surprises were nice, too. I forgot an electrical converter, but there was one in the room. There was also a pair of binoculars on the shelf we used as well. Simple things, but those small details were pleasant.

We spent most of our time in and around Orient Beach, but to get anywhere, and we went everywhere (zoo, Marigot, the Cul de Sac, the Butterfly Farm, Phillipsburg, etc) the drive was no more than 10 minutes.

We stayed during the beginning of peak season and during the holiday season and it was very affordable. I'm a student, not wealth by any means, if that gives you any idea. And you don't feel boxed in with neighboring rooms to your left, right, above, and below you. The staff helped us set reservations for activities, gave advice and directions, and left us alone after that. No pesky housekeeping knocking at 8:00 a.m.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at this. This was our first time and we'll be back there, guaranteed!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank j_shan79
Reviewed 2 November 2008

We were there October 3-15 2008.
Nice apartment, nice staff. Little problems were solved soon. Safe place. We stayed in Unit # 7 (with loft). The adjacent units are getting a larger balcony. Equipment was OK.
It is located at Oyster Pound, the eastern part of the island, in the french part, close to the dutch border. Restaurants and supermarket are nearby.
Philipburg, Orient Bay, Grand Case and Marigot are easy to reach by car.
We´re coming back 2009.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Haribo55
Reviewed 10 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Les Balcones for 3 nights 7/5-7/8 in bungalow #5. It was simply beautiful. It literally felt like a home away from home with a view of the wonderful Marina and Oyster Pond homes and other hotels.
The bungalow had an amazing porch that was perfect. Had a set of tables, lounge chairs, couches, lights and a fan - an outdoor living room. The actual indoor bungalow was to die for. Decorated wonderfully. The whole place looks like it was recently renovated. The bathroom looked directly out of Ikea-simply amazing. It felt like you were home when staying in this place. The pool is directly next to the unit and no one used it so it was practically like having a private pool for ur own disposal. Another great thing is that you can order breakfast each day for the following morning and they are delievered fresh to the main office. The only drawback for us was that we were used to the Maho & Simpson Bay areas, so the lack of things to do was ever present. It is definitly peaceful and a wonderful, relaxing experience.

I would return.