“Disappointing”

Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 24
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The beautiful Georgian Manor that is the Grove Ferry Inn, sitting on the banks of the Great Stour River is a Kentish haven. The historic Inn previous a Lavender Farm has been converted into 6 en suite bedrooms above a beautiful country pub. The pub boasts a boathouse available for weddings, parties, birthdays, anniversaries or funerals that has a terrace overlooking the river. During the summer months the garden is where you can soak up the sun, play table tennis, Foosball, French bowls or just sit, watch and grab a drink from the Garden Bar. In the Winter you can sit by an open fire on a cosy comfy sofa and enjoy the country surroundings with a glass of something hot or cold, but delicious. The menu features perfected British classics using locally sourced British and Artisan produce The Sunday roast is a speciality, not wanting to leave anybody out, the ‘Little Peoples’ menu is tried and tested to go down well with children of all ages. You can even treat your canine to cheeky
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Not surprised this was the only pub/restaurant within miles with empty tables on Easter Sunday. The roast lunch was dry, luke warm, served only with root vegetables (cauliflower cheese was extra! Why?) fish and chips also dry, luke warm, and mashed peas horrible. I did mention that food could have been warmer but that was laughed off. I didn't like to complain at the time as we were not paying and I didn't want to embarrass the person who was. Definitely not worth the £76. I will not return.

1  Thank petanet

Reviewed 3 April 2018

It must be twenty years at least since my wife and I last visited this pub and of course it has changed beyond all recognition especially on the inside. A warm greeting in any establishment is always very important to me and I was not disappointed when a lovely lady with a beaming smile showed us to our table.

No chance of sitting outside on the lovely decking area, which overlooks the The River Stour, as it was pouring with rain. This was not a problem as our table had a great view, not only of the river but gave us a chance to inspect the interior decoration, which was typical country pub style with chunky floor boards on show and the walls decked with dried hop clusters. The tables were nice and clean and a fresh candle was flickering away nicely giving a nice ambient flow all around.

We ordered a bottle of Merlot and browsed over the menu which was quite comprehensive with something for most tastes,we had to take a double look at the menu as the prices were missing the £ sign, once we realised this quirky emission we were soon ordering our food.

While my wife is a real vegetarien I am a part time Pescitarien which means I will eat fish occassionally. With this in mind I had the Cod and chips with mushy peas and my wife had the beetroot and red cabbage wellington. Our red wine was full bodied and extremely enjoyable and we were just getting ready to top our glasses up when our meals were presented to us.

My fish and chips certainly looked the part, nice portions of fish and plenty of chips and a pile of freshly pressed garden peas, which I actually preferred to conventional mushy peas, my wife was soon tucking into her dish and the uhmms were soon following, the pastry was excellent and the filling, while simple was very tasty, the sweet potato rosti and broccoli were the ideal accompaniment. My fish and chips were perfect in every way, fresh white fish in a light crispy batter and the chips were doubled cook, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, just how I how i like them.

Our meals were delicious, the wine really very good indeed and the service was faultless. The bill came in just under £42.00p, which taking in the surroundings and the quality of the food was good enough for us to decide that a return visit was imminent.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Arrived on a friday night and was immediately rushed through to an empty restaurant without even being offered a drink! The food was terrible...bland and very poor quality. unfortunately we left most of it...it really was that bad. We did comment on the poor standard of food, but the manager was far too interested in his laptop to even offer an apology! Massively overpriced, poor atmosphere and awful food. Will certainly not be returning, and will urge others not to bother!

6  Thank Austin550
Reviewed 3 March 2018

Arrived at 6ish on a Saturday night and wondered why there were only two others in the restaurant. Found out it’s very true if a place is empty there is a reason for it. The one bar staff was more concerned about his laptop than his guests. Waited ages for a meal that came cold which was unsurprising as the restaurant its self was freezing. The food was bland cold and limited. We left without staying for desert as didn’t want to wait another hour even though we were by this time the only customers. To receive a bill of over £80! For meal for two adult and two children. We all had one drink each obviously the kids was not alcoholic. It was over £20 for a burger! Of which was itemised and we had paid for the bacon cheese and mushroom separately which cost £2 each! £2 for a tiny mushroom ! And a slice of burger cheese! I have never been so dissatisfied and out raged that they could get away with it all. Avoid this pud at all costs unlesss you fancy eating rubbish food and then being totally ripped off for it!

6  Thank Becky S
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Lovely food vast improvement on previous visits super friendly staff well worth the money and sandwiches to die for