“Disappointing”

Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 24
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to our homely little slice of Kent. The Grove Pantry Pub is an old Georgian manner sitting on The Great River Stour in the middle of the Stodmarsh Nature Reserve. The Georgian manner is now our very own pantry pub with pigs, goats, chickens, pheasants and quails all in our gardens and helping us to be proper country folk. Our menu is brought to you by our very own forager chef who trawls the countryside each season to bring you fresh ingredients. If our chickens are up to it the eggs on your full English will be freshly laid and collected that morning and if you cant quite polish the breakfast of don't worry Lily and Pickle our pigs will eat the left overs except for the bacon naturally. If you are naughty during your stay the team might rope you in to helping pick the fresh veg, herbs and fruit from our garden or feel free to volunteer and you might get a free slice of cake. But don't forget there is loads to be seeing and doing in the local area including boat trips chartered from the pub and pleasant walks around the nature reserve that boasts some very rare birds and beautiful panoramic views of the marsh and river. Don't expect a glitsy spanking hotel but expect loads of character, lovely old rooms with all the facilities you need to spend a weekend in the country with the added benefit of a short hop to the beach or Canterbury itself. The pub has it's very own pantry area where you can pick and choose items made by the team, we have open fires and stoves, plenty of comfy chairs, a menu to make your mouth water, ales racked up on the bar and some scrumptious wines. The rooms are big and airy in that typical Georgian fashion, each is individually styled and has it's own bathroom. All rooms have large sash windows overlooking either the river or across our front garden into the nature reserve. oooh! And with a bit of notice you can ring us to go out with the foraging chef for morning or afternoon call us direct to find out a little more.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Not surprised this was the only pub/restaurant within miles with empty tables on Easter Sunday. The roast lunch was dry, luke warm, served only with root vegetables (cauliflower cheese was extra! Why?) fish and chips also dry, luke warm, and mashed peas horrible. I did mention that food could have been warmer but that was laughed off. I didn't like to complain at the time as we were not paying and I didn't want to embarrass the person who was. Definitely not worth the £76. I will not return.

1  Thank petanet

Reviewed 3 April 2018

It must be twenty years at least since my wife and I last visited this pub and of course it has changed beyond all recognition especially on the inside. A warm greeting in any establishment is always very important to me and I was not disappointed when a lovely lady with a beaming smile showed us to our table.

No chance of sitting outside on the lovely decking area, which overlooks the The River Stour, as it was pouring with rain. This was not a problem as our table had a great view, not only of the river but gave us a chance to inspect the interior decoration, which was typical country pub style with chunky floor boards on show and the walls decked with dried hop clusters. The tables were nice and clean and a fresh candle was flickering away nicely giving a nice ambient flow all around.

We ordered a bottle of Merlot and browsed over the menu which was quite comprehensive with something for most tastes,we had to take a double look at the menu as the prices were missing the £ sign, once we realised this quirky emission we were soon ordering our food.

While my wife is a real vegetarien I am a part time Pescitarien which means I will eat fish occassionally. With this in mind I had the Cod and chips with mushy peas and my wife had the beetroot and red cabbage wellington. Our red wine was full bodied and extremely enjoyable and we were just getting ready to top our glasses up when our meals were presented to us.

My fish and chips certainly looked the part, nice portions of fish and plenty of chips and a pile of freshly pressed garden peas, which I actually preferred to conventional mushy peas, my wife was soon tucking into her dish and the uhmms were soon following, the pastry was excellent and the filling, while simple was very tasty, the sweet potato rosti and broccoli were the ideal accompaniment. My fish and chips were perfect in every way, fresh white fish in a light crispy batter and the chips were doubled cook, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, just how I how i like them.

Our meals were delicious, the wine really very good indeed and the service was faultless. The bill came in just under £42.00p, which taking in the surroundings and the quality of the food was good enough for us to decide that a return visit was imminent.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Arrived on a friday night and was immediately rushed through to an empty restaurant without even being offered a drink! The food was terrible...bland and very poor quality. unfortunately we left most of it...it really was that bad. We did comment on the poor standard of food, but the manager was far too interested in his laptop to even offer an apology! Massively overpriced, poor atmosphere and awful food. Will certainly not be returning, and will urge others not to bother!

6  Thank Tom C
Reviewed 3 March 2018

Arrived at 6ish on a Saturday night and wondered why there were only two others in the restaurant. Found out it’s very true if a place is empty there is a reason for it. The one bar staff was more concerned about his laptop than his guests. Waited ages for a meal that came cold which was unsurprising as the restaurant its self was freezing. The food was bland cold and limited. We left without staying for desert as didn’t want to wait another hour even though we were by this time the only customers. To receive a bill of over £80! For meal for two adult and two children. We all had one drink each obviously the kids was not alcoholic. It was over £20 for a burger! Of which was itemised and we had paid for the bacon cheese and mushroom separately which cost £2 each! £2 for a tiny mushroom ! And a slice of burger cheese! I have never been so dissatisfied and out raged that they could get away with it all. Avoid this pud at all costs unlesss you fancy eating rubbish food and then being totally ripped off for it!

6  Thank Becky S
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Lovely food vast improvement on previous visits super friendly staff well worth the money and sandwiches to die for