New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chartham
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“More than I expected.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

As a frequent business traveller around the UK I spend a lot of time in Hotels, for that reason I usually stick with the Premier Inn type, as at least I know what to expect. On this occasion my secretary booked me into the Howfield Manor Hotel for six nights. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious, the bathrooms were clean with good working showers. The staff are genuinely very helpful and friendly and the Restaurant offers a first class menu of French cuisine. Although only a couple of miles from the centre of Canterbury it feels very rural and peaceful and if like me you like to stretch your legs with an early evening walk or jog there is a path that runs virtually from the hotel along the river bank into the centre of Canterbury.

At the end of my stay it felt like I'd had a break, not a business trip!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Eugene L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Me and my husband got married on 30th June and as a present my parents booked us 2 nights bed and breakfast at the Howfield Manor. We arrived on the 2nd July and we were upgraded to the top suite. Four poster bed and decor was lovely. The ground the hotel were situated in were stunning, a lake to the eat and a small stream running along the border. We were welcomed and the gentleman carried our bags up into our room. That night we used their in house restuarant, and on Monday's it's resident only, which less busy therefore more initmate. We sat by the lit up well underneath glass flooring and had a delicious meal and shared a bottle of wine. Very romantic and we felt very treated. Had a perfect nights sleep and had a full english before we headed off into Canterbury for a day out. The Manor is perfectly situated for visiting Canterbury, Whitstable and Herne Bay - We visited all three! On the morning we left again had a lovely breakfast, all tastes and diets catered for and checked out.

What was so lovely about this hotel is every single member of staff seemed passionate about the hotel and worked really hard to make our stay enjoyable - nothing was too much trouble.

Would love to come back and stay, im sure for a future anniversary we would return for a short break.

Thankyou.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rachellouis
Masham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

This hotel has great potential and eager staff, but refurbishment is necessary to bring it up to modern standards

Room Tip: Not sure there is one
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

This is our second visit to the Howfield and it will not be our last. After a totally unforgettable and wonderful first visit in February which was booked at the last minute, my husband decided to take me back to this lovely cosy country hotel, along with my daughter and her fiancée to celebrate my 50th birthday. From the minute we arrived we were treated like respected and valued friends and this is something which will ensure we keep returning in the future. My family is not alone is in this view, as I spoke to another guest who was on his third visit, this time to celebrate a 70th birthday. He was especially appreciative of the wonderful food served in the restaurant and I can recommend it to anyone. It is worth a visit just for that reason, I have yet to find anywhere else that can beat them on price or food quality and I have been to many good restaurants over the years! If you are looking for a hotel that believes in the old values of customer service, friendliness and is not an anonymous and clinical chain, you will not be disappointed. It is quirky, cosy and customer focussed. I wish the Howfield continues success and looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank amandajayne1
Uppsala, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

We (my wife, 2 year daughter and myself) stayed 2 nights in june 2012. The overall feeling is of a nice little manor or cottage with splendid grounds and nice old rooms.
We had a lovely room high up in the building (nr 3?) with views in two directions and en-suite bath. All very nice with excellent space for the three of us. The free wifi in the hotel was not accessible in the room, perhaps the signal was too weak for the thick walls. In the lounge the wifi was accessible without problems. The hotel has a good location, free parking and close to Canterbury and the roads to Dover and Gatwick. The grounds are very well kept and the hotel even has it's own heli-pad on the lawn. For weddings this must be a great location!
The staff was nice but seemed a bit overwhelmed - they asked several times what we wanted to order and we had to wait quite a while for the food. On the other hand we were compensated with a nice drink to the coffee and felt happy with the outcome.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ToutSwede
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chartham
3.6 km away
Canterbury Hotel
#3 of 17 in Canterbury
4.2 km away
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments

Been to Howfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK