“Superb staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chartham
Essex
“Superb staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We have just returned from a long weekend stay and feel we must share our wonderful experience. From the moment we arrived on Friday until we left, the staff were superb. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was done with a smile. The hotel itself is lovely,has so much character and is very comfortable. The restaurant and food again faultless. I would return here without hesitation and send congratulations to the staff.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank catbelle57
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
dover
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

What an excellent venue for a wedding. The staff were absolutely amazing and the venue was amazing. I cannot fault any part of a most enjoyable stay at Howfield Manor.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank carol s
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I have only just been informed about this site, but I was so blown away by the food on New Years Eve, it is still in the forefront of my mind. Exceptional food, cracking service and an amazing, clean room. Very, very impressed and will definitely be returning. Whether it be a grand function or a cosy dinner with friends, this is a must visit! Could possibly have a more extensive wine list, but that is me being picky. Mr Sharma is a scholar and a gentlemen who excelled at making my stay, sensational!! A big thank you to all the staff but a special mention for the chef and Mr. Sharma.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neil_Welshy
Barcelona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. The building is fantastic, very well maintained and apparently left in its original status preserving some old elements.
Although seeming a bit overworked and stressed during our stay, the staff was very friendly and courteous. The English breakfast is complete and well prepared, we didn't dine in the restaurant so cannot judge on the rest of the food. The salad that was ordered on room service was good.
The room we were in (room 17) could use some renovation but was still in an acceptable condition.
BUT, please do not expect a luxurious suit and a 5* restaurant.
The service is simple and not anywhere close to what one can observe in "professionally" managed hotels. It's good for a short stay to explore Canterbury and surroundings but it's not a luxurious retreat as such.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LexiBarcelona
David S, General Manager at Howfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Firstly, thank you for taking time to review Howfield Manor and your positive comments. I would just like to respond to a couple of your points for the benefit of other tripadvisor users. We are not a 5 star Hotel, but a 3 Star Hotel as graded by Visit Britain and this is reflected in our prices, which for the service we offer are extremely completive for the Canterbury area. I am sorry you were disappointed not to get a Suite, but we neither market or indeed have any suites, the hotels in the area that do will charge well over double the amount that you paid during your stay.
On behalf of every member of my team, who take their roles as hosts very seriously, I would like to stress that of all the criteria that we our judged by on various sites, it is their friendliness and commitment to our guests that receives the highest score. I am a little disappointed that you commented on their service, but did not dine in the restaurant on either night you stayed. The staff our professionally trained, however, our policy is to allow them as hosts to express their personalities. So while they may not be trained to follow a strict impersonal formula, they always smile and are warm and welcoming, and more importantly they follow the simple maxim that when it comes to guests “nothing is ever too much trouble” , from an early check in to carrying a guests bags to their car

David Sharma
Whitstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

We started by having had our wonderful wedding here at Howfield Manor back in April 2011. From the outset of our plans to the morning after the wedding our requests were thoroughly catered for. "Eva" was particularly helpful and offered lots of support and guidance in preparation for our wedding. She and her staff were always on hand to assist whenever and whatever was required. Splendid staff throughout, each of them more than happy to ensure you are happy. We certainly felt like valued visitors and that we were not just another customer and another number in the door. This is a wonderful venue for any wedding and I'm sure would certainly fulfill the role of any corporate event also. Our wedding food was lovely, the rooms were clean, comfy and very traditional british, each one being unique to the others. Accompanied by lovely Manor House grounds and outdoor decked patio area it was certainly a wonderful setting for wedding photos, with the Manor House itself featuring also.

More recently...

My wife and I returned to Howfield recently, April 2012 to celebrate our 1st wedding annviersary since our reception there the year perviously. I am pleased to say that "Eva" is still maintaining the high levels of service we experienced at our wedding, and happy to assist wherever she can with any requirements you may have, as do the other staff such as "Reme" (sorry if this isn't spelt right!) one of the licensees. For our anniversary we returned to enjoy and evening meal, one night stay and breakfast. Now, I have always been more of a quantity rather than qaulity person when it comes to food, so when it came to our evening meal and I chose the "Pork tenderloin" for my main meal, I was at first a little concerned at the size of the portion when I saw it on my plate. However, I needn't have been concerned, firstly it was actually deceptively large cuts of Pork and secondly it was probably the tastiest meat/meal I have ever had. Packed for a such brilliant flavour, I was almost embarassed to admit to my Wife that I was actually full up, just enough room for a chocolate and hazelnut pudding which rounded of our evening meal perfectly. After a short rest we had considered going for a walk along the nearby river and local countryside and fields, but poor weather favoured a quick stroll around the grounds, reminiscing about our wedding instead. A pleasant stay yet again.

A quick word about the location. THis hotel is situated away from the busy hustle and bustle of the City of Canterbury, yet close enough for easy visits to the City if you wish. It has good access to the main roads to Canterbury onto the A2 should you want to go further afield. Being local to the area I can recommend its location as being central to Canterbury, the coastal towns and Ashford also. The only thing about Howfield that I find strange is how little known it is, yet I don't know why.

I would definately recommend this as both an event venue, a weekend break away or as an overnight stop.

Well done Howfield and we look forward to visiting again and a quick thankyou to David for accomodating us.
P.S Don't forget to explore the Hotel itself, with some lovely tucked away lounge rooms and bars etc.

BC

Room Tip: As mentioned, each room is unique. My best advice is to call the Hotel to ask for better located ro...