“Great food and atmosphere, Slow service”
Review of Malt Shovel

Malt Shovel
Ranked #39 of 158 Restaurants in Uxbridge
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 18
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Malt Shovel pub restaurant is a beautiful 19th century listed building, which used to welcome guests working and travelling on the country's waterways. Now our canal side location provides an ideal place to relax and unwind in a town famous for its former resident, George Orwell, whilst enjoying our Real Ale.
Reviewed 22 October 2014

The Malt Shovel is great for an after work drink, or dinner date- Though never go if you are in a rush, the food is great, always good quality and lots of it; but it is very slow at coming out. We went on wednesday lunch time and waited 45 minutes in between starter and main, luckily we didn't have to get back to work. The food is great though, I can't recommend the chocolate brownie enough- the best I've ever had. Defiantly worth going for a causal dinner or simply for drinks and pudding.

Date of visit: October 2014

Reviewed 12 October 2014

We have been coming here every 5 to 6 weeks for many year. Came on Saturday lunch time and food and service was good. Desert was excellent according to my daughter and her partner. Never have had anything other than very good meals.

Date of visit: October 2014
Reviewed 5 October 2014 via mobile

We ordered a starter of Salted Beef. As you can see from the attached photo there was a huge lump of gristle /fat to a small port of salted beef.
We asked the waiter to either replace the gristle with more salted beef or provide a discount for that particular starter. Not once was an an apology offered for the served starter. The waiter then informed us that they would not replace the starter in full, just the equal amount of salted beef to the gristle. I hadn't asked for a full starter, but the attitude of the waiter was simply unacceptable.
To their word, a replacement was given to the equal size of the gristle, with a bit of greenery on top - see attached image. Unbelievable.
We didn't order mains.
To top it off when we went to pay the bill, the manager asked us how our food was. I mentioned the gristle on our starters and my answer was completely ignored.
Seriously avoid at all costs.

2  Thank Denise S
Reviewed 14 September 2014

Visited this saturday for lunch,the restuarant had only two tables occupied so we thought it would ok. On asking for a table the waiter just pointed to the top area and said help your self and walked off. We then sat down and waited a further 10 minutes before he returned with no hello ,how are you, how can i help just are you ready to order!..I ordered the beef and ale pie and my partner a steak to which the waiter said fine shrugged walked off and returned again just before he got to the kitchen asking how the steak was to be cooked, after a 35 minute wait considering the place was empty the steak turned up over cooked and with a hamburger and chips for me sending this back i was informed their was a mix up of the tickets and a wrong order made, considering we were one of only two tables and the other table had ordered fish and chips ????I found this a bit odd,Fair play to them thay did offer to cook the pie for me but by this time my partner had gotten through half her meal so i politely refused and they offered to remove both meals from the bill although i had not had eaten anything. Very dissapointing service which seems to be quite a regular thing from reading the reviews i had to go to the bar to ask for the bill and then again to pay as the waiter didnt come any where near us from then on.Would definetly be very wary before visiting again....

Date of visit: September 2014
2  Thank 69modster
Reviewed 12 September 2014

We've eaten here many times over the years, but it seems that gradually the standard has dropped. My last couple of meals were pretty poor but last night we decided to give it one last chance. Our drinks order was taken, but the barman seemed more interested in chatting with one of the waiters than actually doing any work. In the end my husband had to go up to the bar to chase them up. Our food was luke warm/cold, just horrible. I had to go up to the bar to request the bill, 10 minutes later, still no bill so had to go up again to chase. There was a large group of staff, sitting and drinking, apparently off duty, but the on duty staff were having a "great laugh and joke" with them rather than looking after the customers. My husband commented that it seemed like a rudderless ship - and upon asking the waiter where the manager was we were told that the new manager was due to start in a couple of weeks and the stand in manager was not present - it showed. Will not be eating here again.

Date of visit: September 2014