“Birthday meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Another amazing meal could fault anything food amazing staff amazing love this place!!! Had fillet steak friends had skate said it was amazing good choice of wines as well

1  Thank Lisa D

Reviewed 19 April 2017

This restaurant appears to have been given some critical reviews but I can't understand why. We were visiting my sister who lives in the area and who has always enjoyed her meals at the Coach House, and I'm right behind her on that. The Coach House has an old fashioned atmosphere and we felt very welcome in the place, which is family run and where the staff obviously enjoy their work.

The service was very attentive but not obtrusive, and while others have mentioned that it might be a little too swift, I've no complaints on that front, particularly since my previous review of a restaurant a lot nearer home focused strongly on the fifty minutes it took to serve a burger.

There was a dish of very good, fat olives on the table and we were offered rolls and bread sticks from a basket. True, no one mentioned that these were not included in the cost of the food (if indeed that is the case). Maybe we were charged for the carafe of water too - but I don't think so.

We each ordered a different main course (no starters as my sister had warned us that portions were generous, and the sweet trolley was clearly visible) and we were served very quickly. I had entrecôte steak and the others had calf's liver (cooked perfectly) and veal. All of us pronounced the food marvellous and the portions were more than large enough for the two ladies. There was an extensive wine list and I floated the boat a little for a very good bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, which my wife and I shared, my sister being the driver! Sauté potatoes and vegetables were served with the main courses.

Our plates were cleared quickly after we finished and we were given a few minutes before being offered our choice from the sweet trolley. I was torn between the chocolate cake and the profiteroles, and the latter won. The waiter must have sensed my enthusiasm for them and piled my plate, but they were light enough not to sink me without trace. My sister enjoyed her poached pears in red wine sauce and my wife could not resist the lemon tart, a favourite of hers. All of us said yes to cream ...

My wife and I were impressed when our espresso coffees arrived in heated cups. It's little touches like these which make all the difference, and little touches abounded in this restaurant.

I have to admit that I didn't look through the bill item by item and I couldn't say for certain whether the stories of extras being piled on to the bill without being requested are correct. All I can say is that the number at the bottom didn't come as a surprise, and I would gladly pay the same again (roughly £50 per head including a good bottle of wine) for a meal of this quality with great service and in a cosy environment.

2  Thank IanfaeAiberdeen
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

From the moment my wife and I entered the restaurant we were greeted by a lovely waitress then taken to our seats and welcomed by a waiter who was very pleasant. The venue is quaint and full of character. The starters (grilled sardines and king prawns) mains (spaghetti carbonara and beef lasagne) and desserts (canolli) were divine and I felt like I was on holiday in Italy again. This restaurant is in a class above the rest. Highly recommend!

1  Thank medicalshirt
Reviewed 10 April 2017

We lived in Sidcup for years and frequented this restaurant very regularly.
We though it great. Service spot on, and friendly staff. Prices a little high though.
Then ten years ago we moved away, but came back from time to time if we had a celebration.
Then last week it was my husband's 75th Birthday. We decided to go back to the restaurant we had loved. There were just the two of us.
We hadn't been back for about five years, but what a shock!
I didn't recognise any of the staff except one.
Maybe the restaurant had changed hands in that time, we don't know.
The Maitre 'D' we can only describe as surly.
We were shown to our table and given the usual bread rolls and drinks.
Then a long wait for our starter order to be taken... 25 minutes.
Our booking was for 12.30, and about 12.45 more people came into the restaurant.
These were obviously regulars, as there was a lot of hand shaking and chat.
It seemed we were forgotten.
My husband had to leave his seat and ask for our starter to be taken.
The starter was good, but The main meal was -in our opinion not as good as we remembered. My Lemon sole was dry.
We saw the sweet trolley, and even this didn't have the variety it once had.
We abstained from the trolley and refused coffee. We were glad to leave.
What a sad end to a once exceptional restaurant.

6  Thank Lee J
Reviewed 29 March 2017

The food is lovely, comes out fast (almost a bit too fast tbh) and the ambience is good. The staff are friendly and service is good albeit a little pushy. One gets the sense they want to turn the tables over even if the restaurant is not full. I will go back again.