Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 October 2019

We stayed at the Ship and Bell whilst visiting relatives in the area. We received a warm welcome and the only surprise was that we needed to choose a time to have breakfast on the following morning but I suppose with only three rooms it does make sense. We were shown up to our room which was light, bright and airy. It is on a main road but there is secondary glazing which does help. The downside and this may be because of the road too was the thick layer of dust that covered everything in particular the model boats and other decorative elements. The curtains needed replacing as they do not fit the window, too short and there's a gap either side. Would I stay there again, yes!

Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed 23 July 2019

This is an ideal stop off location if you are on the A3 and need a break. Simply drop down into Horndean for food and drink. Welcoming staff and good beer. Only time for a snack so will keep it in mind for a subsequent visit.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2019 via mobile

This was our first visit for almost a year and we were pleasantly surprised. They have certainly upped their game in many respects by making some small changes, like introducing good quality tables cloths, proper napkins and fixing fairy lights around the fire surround. Subtle nuances but they can make such a difference. Another revaluation is the quality of the food. They have a limited menu but offer many pub classics. My wife ordered fish and chips whilst I went for the steak pie, chips and gravy. The food arrived without undue haste and both dishes were wholesome and delicious. And all the while there was a great atmosphere throughout the pub which was extremely busy, which perhaps is an indicator of how popular it has now become. I would also like to praise the young lady who served us. She was extremely polite, friendly and attentive, an absolute credit to the pub. Perhaps the only criticism is their inability to serve gin as described on their drinks menu. My wife ordered the Elephant gin which was supposed to include slices of oranges and black pepper corns, only it didn’t. The barman didn’t even apologise for the lack of ingredients and when I questioned him I’m not sure he even knew that they were meant to be added! It’s a small detail but these things can make a difference to the overall experience. That said, we will certainly be returning very soon. Especially as they serve up an excellent pint of London Pride!

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikeyportsmouth
Reviewed 6 April 2019 via mobile

Came with friends as we were staying in hotel nearby... Lovely waitresses, service great but food absolutely horrible if I could give a rating with a ‘-‘ I would - my 9 year old kids can cook better dinner!!! And here I was - promised I won’t complain but I left hungry as couldn’t ear absolutely any of the food I ordered
Avoid avoid avoid

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

Very good quality Sunday lunch
Portions sizes good and quality of meat good, staff service friendly
And the pub has had a makeover.
I would recommend attending their next live music days as well.
The sat and Sunday outside food and music weekend was really fantastic

Date of stay: April 2018