“Great place to stay! Easy walk to the beach”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in El Pescadero
Villas de Cerritos Beach
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Spokane Valley, Washington
“Great place to stay! Easy walk to the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Excellent getaway! We stayed in a bungalow, which perfectly met our needs. They staff is awesome and extremely helpful. The small bar creates a great atmosphere. The walk to the beach was easy and the beach was great for sunsets and playing in the waves. A little hard to find, but well worth the effort.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Villas de Cerritos for a week. We didn't know what to expect, and after driving down the bumpy road to get to the condo, we were a little apprehensive. However, this place was perfect for us! We stayed in a condo, which was a little big for 2, but would be perfect for a family, or two couples. The kitchen had every cooking utensil that we needed, and purified water, so we made some meals in our room. Most other meals we had at the bar. Black Bear (the bartender at Tortugas Bar) makes great drinks, and is a great cook!
The beach was public, and very nice and clean. I took long walks on the beach and felt perfectly safe. We met a lot of locals, retirees, and surfers, who gave my husband tips on how to surf. There are places on the beach to rent surf boards, wet suits, and umbrellas and chairs.
The Villas are a great place to stay if you want a low key, laid back vacation. Juan Carlos (manager) was available for any questions we had, including a recommendation for a massage therapist. My husband and I had massages on the beach all week from Sophia, who is incredible!
We were on the second floor with a view of the beach and mountains from our balcony. We watched whales spout and breach the ocean surface every day, and were lulled to sleep every night by the sound of the waves.
This vacation was exactly what we needed!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PatriciaJ913
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

It's not often that high expectations for accommodations are exceeded, but that was definitely the case with the Villas de Cerritos Beach. After reading positive reviews on tripadvisor, our family of 2 adults and three children stayed four nights in January and we found the the ambience, facilities, decor and general aura of the place to be pitch-perfect. Not too over-the-top or too-in-your-face, but secure, mellow, and just downright rad. Having a jacquzzi is a great apres-surf touch that other hotels in warm climates could learn from. We rented a third floor villa, which was spacious and had a commanding view of the ocean. The end-of-the-day Teacate and Guac sessions on our balcony were sublime. Frickin' bueno.

Room Tip: rent a third floor villa if you can afford it!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BOB760
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

The bungalow was as advertised, basic but delightful, and only $60 per night plus tax. If you want to fully use the two-burner stove the bungalow comes with, ask for the pot and pan package when you get there (no extra charge) -- comes with silverware etc. If you want to reheat leftovers in that pan ask Lupita for a bit of oil, which she brought us without hesitation.

The road from Cabo is bad but not the worst I've seen, and I don't doubt those who say it will be in primo condition a year from now, under pressure to be completed for the G-20 convention. The dirt road off the highway is a bit daunting if you have a bad back. There's a better road a bit south but don't try to figure it out til you have made it there at least once because it (obviously) requires a jaunt to the north once you hit the beach.

The hot tub was hot (except one morning early). The place was not crowded (but we were there only Monday til Thursday). The folks that WERE there were wonderful to have conversations with.

Bravo to Juan Carlos (manager) and other staff Lupita (cleaning and providing everything we needed); bartender extraordinaire Oso Negro; and bartenders/waitresses Laura and Diane. I am ashamed I don't remember the name of the groundskeeper/pool cleaning guy but he did a great job and was clearly very intent on doing so. The pool was always clean. I didn't use it because the air was just not warm enough for me to swim, me being a non-swimmer in general.

The only two negatives (other than the expected bad road) are 1) septic/sewer smell that wafted occasionally -- smelled like a project underway, so hopefully cleared up soon.. and 2) the shower was very low-flow, which was surprising given the good flow in the bathroom and kitchen sinks. But it was strong enough and warm enough to wash the shampoo out of our hair, no problem.

The bed was firm and comfortable.

Cerritos Beach itself is great. Again, I am not a swimmer, and as time goes by I'm less willing to face waves, so, sadly, I did not go in to the water to enjoy the waves, but it looked gentle enough in for the folks who were just enjoying body surfing in the waves very close to shore. A very gradual drop off, it looked like. A bunch of surfers clearly enjoyed the waves further out.

Tips for venturing a few minutes outside the Villas/Tortugas Bar and the somewhat limited burger/quesadilla food menu there (which was very tasty though!) -- As our "leaving Cabo" splurge we had the "surf and turf for two" at Cerritos Surf Colony that was AMAZING. Huge amounts of delicious food that took us 24 hours to eat, in two sittings (reheated in our bungalow - ask Lupita for a little cup of oil to reheat in the pan). The best lobster I have every had in my life.

And for the best sunset ever accompanied by luscious drinks, venture up the stairs or roadway to the mansion on the hill (Hacienda Cerritos) where, if you are polite, they will invite you to order a drink at the sunset overlook. Very good, fresh orange margarita. Stupendous sunset view. Whale sightings. The few people who are around you very happy to be there as well.

Room Tip: If you want a view, you apparently need to get a condo room; the bungalows have no view but are lov...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mdugan
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

My only previous experience spending time in Mexico was at an all-inclusive
resort in Cancun. When I was there we were warned about safety and concerned
for the children at night and off resort. As well, I had a bad experience with
food.

Well! What a difference I found at Villas de Cerritos Beach! My 13 year old
son and I stayed in one of the bungalows. These are small but totally
functional. Bed was comfy. If we'd brought stuff to cook with (pots and pans)
we could have made all our food in the room since there's a great little bar
fridge and two propane burners and a great kitchen sink to clean up in.
Bathroom was clean and functional too and we even had a little "sitting area"
palapa outside the door to stay out of the sun. My son hooked up with some boys
who were staying in the condos and had a blast playing video games with them on
the flat screen tv in their room. The condos are really nice but almost twice
the price as the bungalows (but worth it!)

The food from the bar was excellent and if one was interested in
travelling farther afield there were several other restaurants close by...some
within walking distance. Oso Negro (the bartender / cook) makes fabulous
margaritas too and happy hour runs every day from 4-6 with two for one beers!
Some evenings were quite fun hanging around the bar chatting with locals and
tourists alike while my son chilled with his buddies in the hot tub (also
great!). Speaking of the hot tub, you could jump into the pool from its' raised
platform however BEWARE! the pool isn't heated and it's quite the shock to the
system!

The walk to the beach was short and enjoyable. The beach was fun and safe...in
fact the whole area was very safe! I walked the beach several evenings past
dark and never once feared for my safety in the slightest bit. My son ran free
too and never once did I worry about him or his safety.

The only thing I'd do different next time is make sure I rent a car. There's
lots to do in Pescadero and Todos del Santos but they're both just a bit too far
away to walk to. A bike rental place somewhere on the beach would be great
also but it was fun to walk around everywhere too.

My son said it was the best Christmas present ever and already has plans to get
me to take him again next year!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
0.8 km away
Cerritos Surf Town
Cerritos Surf Town
#3 of 4 in El Pescadero

Been to Villas de Cerritos Beach? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK