“Nice place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Pescadero
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Cerritos surf colony is very nice. We got a great deal on 6 nights from a discount web site. For what we paid we were lucky it even existed! We had a studio villa beachfront, very nice furnishings and bathroom. Great view! The thatched roof is probably nice in warmer weather but we found it very cool at night. There is no where to put your clothes which can get annoying, no closet or dresser. But the fridge was a nice size, not as "mini" as I expected.perfect for some beer and sandwich fixings.
Restaurant is okay, seemed a little pricey but food very tasty, we had 2 dinners and breakfast that was very good. Had a couple drinks at the bar that were weak and expensive. The great thing is you don't have to buy your drinks or your food there. You can bring it from the grocery in Cabo.
The staff is nice, Ike set up surf lessons for husband and I that were great. Housekeeping was fantastic! They swept the patio and even saw the cleaning someone's flip flops, did the dishes, great job.
We were in #5 right next to the construction and I was very concerned about it. I was assured it would not start until 8am and would be done by 5 and it was. Even when it was going on it was not that loud, no power tools and only a few guys.
Pool was cold but the hot tubs were great. Go up to the hacienda for drinks and sit in their hot tub to watch the whales, perfect.
All in all a very nice experience and we will return. We purchases 2 vouchers!

Room Tip: Bring warm clothes if you go in february it was very cool. No loft in our unit so it wouldn't sl...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank lupyJ
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I had some trepidations about coming here after reading some of the reviews on this site, but my family all had a terrific time and we recommend the resort wholeheartedly. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit, and it was clean and beautiful. I loved the extensive Mexican tile work and the thatched roof. The nights were cool and perfect for sleeping with an extra blanket. The days were uniformly sunny and dry, with temperatures reaching perhaps 80 at the shore and a little higher inland. And since we were right on the beach, the sound of crashing waves was beautiful and relaxing.

The resort was simple but very nice. The pool is much bigger than I expected, and the depth was perfect for our 9 year old--he could stand on his tiptoes, but it challenged him to swim. The hot tubs were nice, and the ocean swimming was fantastic. We spent several days blissfully going from one to the other to the other. I did get caught in a bit of a rip tide early on, so you need to respect the ocean's power and watch the kids carefully, but the beach is sloped gently and we never really had a problem. Great body surfing and boogie boarding. I'm not into big boy surfing, but I watched a lot of it here and this would be a good place to learn.

The ocean life is truly remarkable. The whales are so plentiful and close to shore at this time of the year that the dogs were barking at them. OK, a bit of an overstatement, but there are lots of them and they are close. I brought binoculars and there was almost always some whale activity in sight. The views from the balcony of our unit were good, but from the Hacienda on the point they were spectacular. We went to a turtle release on a beach on the other side of Todos Santos one dusk, and the kids really got a kick out of watching the baby leatherbacks struggle into the surf for the first time. I went fishing one morning in a boat close to shore and we caught lots of bonitos which the restaurant made into delicious sashimi.

We didn't eat too much at the resort restaurant, but when we did it was very good. We bought a bunch of food and bottled water at Costco in Cabo before driving up and tried to limit eating out to one meal a day. With supplemental shopping at the fruit and veggie store in Todos Santos, it was easy. The kitchen was adequately stocked with utensils, pots and pans. So we wanted some adventure for our one meal a day, and we hit many of the open air restaurants in Todos Santos--we tended to avoid the more upscale places. The food was generally very good and we never got sick. Here's some mini-reviews while it's still fresh in my mind:

Miguel's - very good chili rellenos as advertised, and the best flan in town (no small feat)
Barajas Tacos - popular with locals, it had excellent carne asada, carnitas, and fixings
Ataxacon - not fancy, but excellent home-cooked food--try the enchiladas verde
Restaurant La Fuentes - charming host, but food was just OK except great chocolate cake
Fonda El Zaquan - slightly more upscale, good but not great seafood
Los Cerritos Beach Club (right up the beach) - OK food, but expensive and the resort's restaurant is much better
Marina's (Pescadora) - only three items on the menu the night we were there, all were good
El Zarape (La Paz) - excellent Mexican food in a quiet neighborhood

I had never been to Baja before, so i was floored by the landscape. The cacti and mountains are incredible, and I regret not doing an inland hike in the temperate weather. We were expecting scorpions the size of terriers based on the info in some guide books, but saw none. The roads were generally fine, although there is some construction on the Cabo road. When they finish it in the near future, expect very smooth travels, but it's OK as it is. The road to La Paz is excellent, and we took Highway 1 back down to the Cabo airport and the scenery was worth it, though the trip was longer than taking 19.

The staff was friendly and never snooty or fawning. They are doing a lot of construction, but we never heard anything and it didn't bother us one bit. There were some people at the resort and on the beach, but it was never crowded and we didn't get hustled by vendors. We never felt threatened or unsafe anywhere we went in Baja, and we got by fine despite poor Spanish skills.

If you are looking for extreme luxury or party central, then this place may not be for you. But if you are looking for a really nice place that can be a base for both fun adventures and good family veg-out time, then you can't do too much better than this. We all loved it, and thank you Cerritos Surf Colony for a great family vacation.

Room Tip: Beachfront 2 bedroom units are outstanding. I had #17 and it was very nice!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
24 Thank Tim B
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We arrived at SJD airport and rented a car for the trip to Cerritos. For a large, name brand selection of food/goods, shop in Cabo before making your way out to Cerritos. The trip took us approx. 45 minutes.
Yes the roads are a little rough in areas but it is because the major highway that runs from Cabo San Lucas to La Paz is being rebuilt. This will get better as the highway project finishes. Take care when driving and probably a good idea to plan on arriving to Cerritos during daylight. The turnoff from the highway can be easily missed so watch for the Cerritos Surf Colony signs/flags.

We arrived to find a picturesque beach community atmosphere. Where you are out of the touristy zone and in the heart of authentic Mexico. People were friendly and I always felt safe at Cerritos. It is a favorite spot for locals to visit and surf, but the beach is so expansive that it never feels busy and you can walk the beach for miles, uninterrupted. I found the water a bit cold during our February stay. We have visited this beach in October when the water is like a bath and the beach/sand is smoking hot. The evenings were cool in mid February and I did need a hoodie at night.

There are several units under construction still, however it didn't impact our stay. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 3 bath, ocean front unit. VILLA 18. It was tastefully decorated with cool chunky wood furnishings, granite counters in the kitchen, upgraded lighting and beautiful travertine tiling in the bathrooms. Each bedroom had a full bathroom with WALK IN Showers! We only used the Master bedroom room and the view was breathtaking. We laid in bed and with the curtains open, watched surfers to our right and blow holes from whales to our left. UNBELIEVABLE Off the Master bedroom was a balcony with a couple of chairs to sit during the day and chill. From the entrance downstairs, you could be on the beach in 2 minutes. The lawn was well maintained in front and there were sets of 4 stairs that took you to the beach. There was also hammocks and lounge chairs out front but I never had a chance to enjoy them... Next time.

We had the opportunity to look into a couple of the other units and there was no comparison to the decorating and finishing to VILLA 18.

Daily maid service was provided.

There is free WI FI around the pool/pool bar area. The pool is big with 2 large hot tubs, all beautifully finished with colorful Mexican tiles.There are several large pool area beds to lounge on and even a couple of the beds strategically situated at the edge of the lawn overlooking the beach.

At night the hot tub cooled off with recirculating pool water, so it was a little chilly if you stayed in it past 9:00pm.

We ate Nachos and Tacos at the pool restaurant/bar, even though we bought groceries and could have prepared all meals using our villa kitchen. The food was reasonably priced and very good. I would have liked to try the breakfast, however we chose to stay in bed and watch the waves.

The beach club restaurant is also less than 5 minute walk down the beach if you want other options. And with a vehicle there are many local favorite restaurants within 15 minutes.

Check out the free tour of the Hacienda on top of the hill. It is a hotel and truly amazing.

Also available is surfing rentals/lessons at the Surf shop down the beach.

Room Tip: Really you have to try to rent ocean front if you come here... The view is incredible.
8 Thank wks880
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We just spent a week at Cerritos Beach Surf Colony, and it was one of the best experiences of my life.
The accommodations were fantastic, the facilities were top notch. ayaou can sit in the hot tub, drink your margarita, eat some of the best nachos and watch the whales.
We would lay is bed in the morning watching the surfers to our right, and the whales jumping to our left.
It's a beutiful beach, and a 3 minute walk to the surf shop, where you can rent boards, or take surfing leasons.
I highly recomend villa 18, we were in several, and 18 is by far the nicest.
The friendly staff is always willing to take care of your needs, or tell you where the best resteraunts are or what sights to see in the area.
We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: 18 has many upgrades, and is by far the nicest.
1 Thank Scott G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I just came back from Cerritos Surf Colony. It was exactly what I had hoped it would be, though even more beautiful. I had read the other reviews and went prepared for some inconsistencies -- the uneven lawn, the cold weather, the erratic electricity and hot water. The lawn is now pristine and tended to daily. I wore an extra t-shirt at night and was fine. I didn't notice if the electricity went out. And showers were lovely and hot in the morning.

I arrived in SJD and drove up -- rented a car which was very cheap (not sure if it's priceline or Mexico). Glad I did, Todos Santos is up the road and magical beaches are everywhere, including one where local fishermen bring their haul, fresh out of the ocean filleted grouper for 40 pesos. Perfect. The villas are on a little bluff a bit above the sea, the views are terrific, the sea was warm, totally swimable. On the drive up from Cabo, I stopped at Mega -- a terrific supermarket and stocked up on food. I thought I would need to having read the reviews. I wished I had bought less because guests raved about the food.

I had a two bedroom two storey villa. The views were unbelievable. Ike extended an open invitation to the incredible hotel on the hill for drinks and whale watching. I took him up on it and ended up talking the evening away with some others staying at the hotel and at the villas. It's a super quiet place -- I only twice heard any noise related to construction: a saw that went for literally three minutes tops, and some hammering that sounded more like a sliversmith's hammer than a builder. It also didn't last long. The sound of the ocean pretty much drowns everything out.

All the guests are friendly, probably because they are so happy to be there. You will be denying yourself if you don't check this place out. I'm looking for the next time I can go. It's great if you're on your own, with friends, with your honey, and with your family and kids. The beach is ENDLESS. It's incredible. I'll post pictures in the morning. :)

Room Tip: villa 18. Perfect.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
0.5 km away
Sol Pacifico Cerritos
Sol Pacifico Cerritos
#1 of 9 in El Pescadero

Been to Cerritos Surf Town? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK