All reviewsmy husband and ilobstermontego baydoctor birdrick's cafered stripefood was wonderfulporridgesteel drum bandour honeymoonvery special placedown the roadgoatheart and soulwhole weekflower petalsrelaxing vacation
Reviewed 12 December 2014

March 11, 2009 .... A date to remember. We were married at Coral Cove. It's been over 10 years since our first visit and we keep coming back. We planned our special day on a lazy afternoon on the beach while we were already there. From the first time we arrived ... we fell in love with the Natural Beauty, the fishing village and farming communities but mostly the people. One of the very few resorts that gives back to the community it resides. Getting out and meeting the neighbors is encouraged. Bring in a local band and enjoy a private party. Enjoy snorkeling and a private fishing trip. You are Close to crazy night life by vehicle and yet remote where all you hear is the sound of the ocean at night to lull you to sleep. From the best home cooking you will ever experience to the welcome home atmosphere. For all the places we have experienced in Sweet Jamaica ... Coral Cove captured our hearts and remains our ultimate destination.

Room Tip: Visit their web site and talk with staff. They are very good at helping find the right fit. The more cross breeze and windows the better if you prefer not sleeping with air conditioning.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa G
Reviewed 9 December 2014

I was just at Coral Cove for a wedding I saw a negative review right before we let that made me concerned . We had Been to this resort in the past and I thought maybe things had changed ..I thought it was strange that the traveler had just now written the review but traveled in 2010 oh well must have just gotten to it.. Well the resort has only changed for the positive the food was excellent.. We did the Mayfield Falls I am 54 years old and it wasn't to physical..Bat cave is fun also..You can take a boat ride to Negril and watch people jump off the cliffs at Ricks Cafe the ride is awesome..The sunsets are amazing.The resort is very clean but do remember you are in a very small fishing village at the edge of the bush in Jamaica if you love a little safe adventure and don't want to feel like your at Disney or at a tourist trap destination you love this place it's not Sandals they don't serve the same food everyday and have some chick with a loud speaker doing exercises on the beach.. It's quite but they do play music and party at the bar if you wish or not ..As far as Bartering you are in Jamaica and that is there way it is much worse on seven mile beach in Negril or even worse in Montego Bay .The rates for rides and most tours are posted in the office so we would go there to see what it would cost and it was always that or very close monetarily ..As far as the review I read the more I thought about it and after I reading it again tonight I think that was put on there by another resort or something I just can't imagine I could remember in that much detail after four years..Also that person said he was there in 2010 it's like
he didn't want the resort to remember him because maybe he was never there just a thought .We love this pace and will return again..

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank hufferd
Reviewed 3 December 2014

My Fiancé (now Husband) and I had been interested in going away for our Wedding. Fortunately I have heard things about Coral Cove for years from many friends whom have stayed there. Without his knowledge I started communication with the Coral Cove staff to get information regarding the stay and what they offer. After I had looked everything over only then did I present it to him. He was pleasantly optimistic. So, we booked it! The staff at Coral cove is amazing. Rouchelle the wedding coordinator was fabulous about everything. Once we had booked our flight all we did was send them our itinerary so there would be someone to pick us up at the airport. We were greeted with a friendly smile and someone who knows what they are doing. Peter was a great driver and made sure we had our fill of stops to fill up on Red Stripe along the way. :) As soon as we arrived to Coral Cove we were greeted by everyone. Even Marla the best island dog ever was there! We arrived on Saturday but our wedding wasn't until Tuesday so we relaxed. The meals we amazing beyond words. I think we are both still full. The grounds are gorgeous with all of the stunning flowers and perfect sunsets. On our wedding day everyone worked so hard to make sure it was PERFECT and it was. More so than I could have imagined. The staff is not just staff. They have become friends and people we will never forget. Miss Elaine and Keisha prepared the most delicious meals. Donald and Yang made sure our every need was met and never let our glass get empty. Sammy and Duke for moving our bags and helping us with whatever we needed. Bunny for keeping the grounds beautiful every day. I could go on about everyone there for hours! If you like the hustle and bustle of the big city with all the wild nightlife and touristy shopping than this is not your place. However if you are looking for a low key relaxing beautiful place to spend your days fishing, taking bike rides, visiting Blue Hole, swimming or just laying in the hammock THIS IS IT!!! Thank you to everyone there whom made our stay amazing. WE WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: Love the ocean noise for the Tree Top!
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2014

I am getting ready for my 3rd trip to Coral Cove Resort. I have been to many islands, and this intimate resort is my favorite. I am returning with a large group of friends-most are first timers to Jamaica.
We were reading reviews to give them a good feel for the experience ahead. I love to travel but seldom write reviews.
I have traveled to the resort both through the mountain and around the coast. It is about the same time either way. The driver will give a great tour and they are happy to stop anywhere along the way. I really recommend the Border Jerk - which is about halfway on the mountain route. It is a great intro to the island culture, with great food and cold Red Stripe!

Rooms at Coral Cove are very comfortable and decorated beautifully! I love the staff and their service --very friendly and accommodating. The food was fantastic & very plentiful. (They also adhere to specific needs of the vegetarian!). The staff was always meeting our needs and provided plenty of snacks/extras throughout the day or night. They even set a private table right on the beach for us one night....we loved it. Coral Cove offers plenty of excursions for the adventurer and if you want peace and quiet...you will have it. For anyone wanting to get away from large crowds of pushy vacationers (at the huge resorts)....this is a GREAT place to be! Come enjoy the Caribbean at Coral Cove!

• Stayed: November 2014
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Coral Cove Jamaica –

We stayed five nights at Coral Cove to attend a wedding (Nov 10-15, 2010). The wedding was great and beautiful. Maybe I’m too Americanized; however, in our opinion as a guest, there are better alternatives for the amount paid (~$3.000 without any additional services).

Air Travel to/from MBJ:

We left out of DCA with a connection in MIA. The flight down and back was uneventful, which was great! (uneventful = no delays or any issues) (Roundtrip Airfare via American Airlines was $374.78 per person, added bonus was no baggage fees for first two checked bags!)

Drive from MBJ to Coral Cove and vice versa:

The trip from MBJ to Coral Cove seemed a bit longer than expected (~2hours); however, the driver (a Coral Cove employee) was very accommodating. He stopped at a market so we could purchase a six pack of Red Stripe (driver asked for $15, but I went in and bought it myself for $9…hrm…I still wonder if the driver would have giving back change). The drive took us across Jamaica which was nice and scenic! We went through allot towns that quickly reminded us that we were in a “developing” country (many houses half built). Drivers are more risky in Jamaica, so it was an exciting/memorable/thrilling/daunting drive in. Our driver appeared to be an experienced, so we did not worry too much. We were able to see true Jamaica
(Drive from MBJ to Coral Cove = $85 + $5 tip)

** Side note: Another person attending the wedding took a taxi not affiliated with Coral Cove and only paid $80 total (including tip) for the ride from MBJ.

We left early (4am-ish) for the trip back to the airport since our flight left at 8am. The night watchman was great and ensured we woke up on time. We were happy to leave. (Drive from Coral Cove to MBJ= $85 + $15 tip)

Arrival at Coral Cove and first night:

Unfortunately, our first day/night at Coral Cove left allot to be desired. After almost driving over some goats, we arrived at Coral Cove around ~3:30 PM. The entrance/driveway was unappealing. The hotel ambiance and atmosphere seemed dull and lifeless/empty. (Just a FYI, I like big resorts) We were greeted with a damp towel and some friendly faces. We were starving and dinner service was not until 6:30! We mentioned that we were extremely hungry to the front desk and asked for some food. The staff offered to take our bags to our room and told us that dinner was at 6:30. We again stressed that we were hungry and the staff took our bags to our room…..The staff seemed to ignore the fact that we were famished. We went to the room and grumbled because the place and staff were not up to expectations (again, maybe I’m too Americanized, but for the amount paid, I expected more). I then proceeded to go to the front desk and ask for a hamburger…..After some coaxing, they made a grilled cheese for us. More grumbling…..I then went to the bar. There was no one there to take my order (at this time I did not realize that I could go behind the bar and make my own drinks). Someone finally came and made drinks.

By dinner time, we were hungry! The main course dinner choices were goat meat or fish. I selected goat meat since I’m not a big fish fan. Again, maybe I’m too Americanized, but the goat meat was not a tasty option.

I then went to the bar after dinner service. While the bartender was making drinks a fat rat scurried across the bar. The bartender said “ah, that can’t be good”. ……..As much as I hate to admit it, I still drank after seeing the rat.

Later that night, I was irritated (which happens when I’m hungry and had a couple drinks) and complained. A staff member (I believe a manager) attempted to accommodate us when they found out we were not happy with the dinner service; however, he had to argue with the kitchen staff to make us some food. Yes, we heard it all - unappealing. We also heard that the kitchen staff had the supplies to make us a burger – need to add that they had supplies to make the burger all day – so why did we get a grilled cheese at first? Not sure…..We took the burger and went back to the room. At the room we grumbled more and seriously considered making reservations at another resort even if we would lose the money paid to Coral Cove. I was unable to connect to the wireless internet from the room to perform the necessary research. If we were not there for a wedding, we most likely would have gone to another resort the next morning. As I lay in bed trying to fall asleep, I saw a ~8 inch lizard crawling up the wall.

Accommodation/room: Starlight

Pros: private area for dining (but we never used it), bed was comfortable, warm water for showers (we heard some other rooms did not have warm/hot water)

Cons: No TV, no air conditioning, wireless internet did not work in the room, bathroom was too open and offered very little privacy, we saw a ~8 inch lizard crawling up the wall on the first night, we could “hear” the folks in Starbright who were just married the week before, keys to safe did not work – but we felt that our belongings were safe,

Rest of the trip:

Pros:
• Wedding was beautiful! Coral Cove does a really good job with the wedding.
• At times the food was great! For example, eggs mixed with cheese/peppers, jerked chicken, dinner at the wedding (Lobster Tail, Steak, Shrimp – but we did not get any wedding cake until the next day), pizza, soups (pumpkin),
• Great snorkeling in the water
• One of the bartenders was great and very accommodating!
• Weather was great!

Cons: (Again, remember I’m more of a big resort person)
• Automatically charged 20% more for the room for taxes and TIPS
• No pool or volley ball court
• At times, the food was disgusting. For example, eggs mixed with fish (I’m not a huge fish fan), goat….and no other alternative available…
• Requests seemed to go unfulfilled – Ask for a drink at dinner/lunch and you may get one ~25% of the time. More often than not, you will have to get your own beverages. Again, maybe I’m too Americanized, but if a server says they will get something, I expect them to get it.
• Someone requested iced tea and never got it. After tipping for something else, suddenly iced tea appeared. I thought tips were included.
• At times they did not bring out enough dinner/lunch plates and did not ensure every guest received food. If you were not there when they happened to bring food out…you may be out of luck….
• Service at the resort is Slow and everything seemed to begin 1/2 late (i.e. massage)..…..but I’ve read that this attribute might be inherent to Jamaican culture
• When filling my water at lunch a lizard came crawling out of the inside of the water jug…ug…
• Limited selection of food during lunch and dinner (usually only one fish and one meat available)…And if you wanted extra of something, at times you would get it and other times it seemed like a huge hassle…
• We had to bartend for ourselves most of the time. When we were creating our own drinks the bartender would sometimes come over and give us a weird look. Although, I didn’t see the rat again after the first night……
• Bartenders did not know how to make common drinks
• Found a bartender (not the one mentioned in the pros section) sleeping behind the bar. I accidentally woke him up while grabbing drinks for our group and again he gave me a weird look.
• Sunday must have been “fun day” for the staff. Someone from the kitchen area kept coming and grabbing as much beer as he could. He took it to the kitchen area. -- only reason I mention this is because he took the last of something I wanted.
• Beach and in the water was rocky – bring swimming sandals…
• Unlike big resorts, the excursions appear to be ad hoc. Which can be great since the boat driver will take you whereever you want for the most part….but the boat was really small and some of the waves were really big….Happy to be back alive……
• Maybe I’m paranoid, but the staff appeared to be talking negatively about me in a different language. Sounded like they stated that I’m too “American”.
• Atmosphere and environment did not make it feel like I was on vacation. I was looking forward to leaving and eating American food during our layover in Miami.

Tips:
• Take sandals / beach shoes
• Take bug spray (Staff can pick some up for you at a price)
• Don’t be afraid to barter for lower fees. I felt that I was being hustled allot at Ricks Café and when requesting services (i.e. boat rides) from Coral Cove. Different people would offer different prices for similar items or services.

Total Cost incurred for 2 people for five nights in Starlight: ~$2913.56 without additions

• Airfare: $374.78 * 2 = 749.56
• Ground Transportation to and from MBJ: Set price of $85 each way and tips totaling $20 = $190
• Accommodation: Starlight @ $394.80 per night * 5 nights = $1974 ($329+20% tax + gratuity)
• Addition: 2 Massages (One as a present): $60 each…120 + 12 tax + $20 tip = $152
• Addition: Boat Ride to Ricks Café / Negril: four people totaling $150 + $40 tip = 190/2 (split between us and another couple) = $80 + ~60 (food and drinks a Ricks) = $140

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family