“Beautiful rooms but the food needs major improvement” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tilal Liwa Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Madinat Zayed
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Beautiful rooms but the food needs major improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Positives: The rooms are lovely and are more of a 5 star standard as opposed to 4. Check-in/out process was quick and efficient.

Negatives: We went hoping for a romantic getaway but that wasn't really the case - there were screaming children everywhere! We were woken up at 7.30am because of noisy children in the corridor. We could also clearly hear the children playing in the room next door.

My main issue however was with the food quality. There is one buffet restaurant and one bar/lounge but the food quality in general was pretty appalling. Food on the buffet was cold and tasteless, and the range offered was not very extensive.

They also seem to have a problem with flies - I don't know how they get in as no doors are left open but they really make eating quite uncomfortable.

I probably would not return - there are many other more outstanding resorts in the UAE to visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tilalliwahotel, General Manager at Tilal Liwa Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your stay with us. It was our pleasure having you as our guest.

We're so delighted with your kind note and treat your comments seriously as it is helps us improving our services where needed.

Tilal Liwa Hotel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

No complains regarding the hotel staff who were good & polite + quality & room space which was nice and wide. But there is no outlets, only one restaurant which serves poor food, small and crowded pool, no facilities or attractions. Even though the hotel is in the middle of the desert, it's hard to say that it's a desert hotel since there is no desert view and no desert activities at all. You can not even walk in the desert ... Since it's far away from the nearest town (which you can find a restaurant or attraction) it's like a high-end prison. Tolerable for one night stay if you find a good promotion. If you insist on trying this hotel, book a room on the ground floor with garden access.

Room Tip: book a room on the ground floor with garden access.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank timurthemimur

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

My wife and I went to the Tilal Liwa for a night. We had a coupon from Cobone for 50% off. We had a fantastic time at this property. We were welcomed graciously at the reception complete with a welcome drink, and our bags were transported to our room expeditiously. We inquired about any tours of the desert they may be offering. There was a camel riding tour offered by the hotel which we took and thoroughly enjoyed. There was a buffet dinner and belly dancing show which we did not opt for, as there was not a very large vegetarian selection on the line-up. Our room was very well kept, very clean and new-looking and had all the amenities we would expect. The buffet breakfast the following morning was a highlight! After this, we went bike riding around the area. The bike rentals was complementary by the hotel and were in good condition, complete with helmets. We asked for a late check-out, and didn't leave the hotel till 3pm. Tilal Liwa is a good spot to relax and escape the hussle bussels of city life. If you own a SUV, the surrounding desert is a perfect spot to take it off-roading. The only somewhat negative comment I have for the hotel is the lack of proper directions from the main road to the hotel. Better signage would certainly help first timers.

Room Tip: There are two levels to this hotel. Try getting a room on the higher level. Rooms on this level have...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RKhetia

Daejeon, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

I think people looking into this hotel will be definitely looking at Qasr Al Sarab which I have already been twice this year.
In my opinion, go to Qasr Al Sarab if you can afford it. The decor, the desert view and service are unmatched. If you want to visit Medinat Zayed and the western region and liwa oasis etc., I think Tilal Liwa is okay too.

I booked this place for the weekend of National holiday. I thought I'd just go there and relax.
I had originally thought about going there after seeing their ad in Timeout earlier this year, but a friend told me to go to Qasr Al Sarab instead and since this friend is working in travel business I took his advice.
But I thought I would go check out the place because I was pretty impressed by the sister Danat hotel located in Ruwais.

My first impression is that the place is pretty well kept and the decor is nice. But if compared to Qasr Al Sarab, the place is too small and doesn't have as much "Arabic vibe".

Since there is a camel race track close by, it would be nice to go there when the race is on. (There is a race coming up on 16th.) I think the hotel should post such info up so that more people (tourists or expats) would come.

I was given room 132, which was on the first floor with a direct access to the courtyard and pool area. But then there was no privacy in this room. Kids playing in the courtyard were on rollerblades and they kept banging on the door. They were making sharp turns just in front of the door and if they failed, they just crashed on the door. The room is right next to the stairs coming down from the restaurant and almost everybody could have a look into the room. There was someone who was even trying to enter the room thinking it would lead to a corridor or something. -O-

And after coming into the room, I was changing my clothes and I don't know for what reason, but the house keeping staff rang the door bell and before I could put on something and come to the door, the staff opened(!) the door.

After hearing kids playing outside for half an hour I decided I could not take it anymore and thinking it would be so noisey again in the next morning, I requested change of rooms.

Room change was very swift and staff were very cool about my request and I liked that. I was then shifted to second floor room with desert view, which was so much quieter. I thought I could relax and stay in bed until late. But then none of the windows would open.

Most of staff are very friendly and very eager to help except the restaurant staff. May be because it's understaffed, all the servers were too busy to make an eye contact with me when I wanted to ask for some coffee in the morning.

Unfortunately, something urgent happened at work and I had to return one day earlier. Even though it was in 2 pm (I thought I'd have to pay for the whole stay because it was a bit too late), the front desk staff was very kind and helped me to change the reservation so that I wouldn't have to pay for the day I didn't get to stay. That ruled out all the lacking services so far.

Overall, if compared with Qasr Al Sarab, the place is small and the desert view is not as pretty, but it's a nice cozy place where you can relax. The pool was temp controlled so I think it wouldn't be so cold in the winter months.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sookyoung1101

Salem, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

We have stayed with our family a night part of package deal.
Beautiful swimming pool
Room was clean
Fantastic breakfast buffet
Nice biking in night
Kite flying
Face painting for kids
Decent health club
Waiting to come back again

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

#9 of 29 in Abu Dhabi
Barracuda Beach Resort
Barracuda Beach Resort
#1 of 7 in Umm Al Quwain

Been to Tilal Liwa Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK