See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 December 2015

Crappy, dirty, unsafe!

It's a rundown "hotel" with even worse service. Lots of mosquitoes and other insects - ants everywhere - on the bed, the bathroom tiles, sink, practicaaly everywhere! Termites have obviously feasted on the old old furniture.

I don't want to remember anymore the nightmare I had to go through staying at this hotel. One night is more than anyone can bear!

Stay somewhere else please! Calling the local Tourism Office, please inspect this hotel and if you can't have it close down, then at least warn guests to stay there at their own risk - do your job please!

Room Tip: stay away!
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank Leah A
Reviewed 16 October 2015 via mobile

The rooms were big and spacious but more cleaning and a few upgrades or repairs will most definitely benefit the place and the travelers. The room looked clean but the strong smell of chemicals probably to keep ants and bugs away really stuffed the room. Getting a decent shower was also a challenge. I'm normally used to basic and laid back accommodation but this one took a little more effort to pull together a 2-night stay. Despite all that, the semi-discomfort was compensated by how attentive, kind and helpful the staff and management were. Food was also decent and the location was sort of at the center so it was pretty convenient to go around. I got an advise that for almost the same price it would be more worthwhile to stay at nearby beach resorts to better enjoy the rest of the island.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank VicHVill
Reviewed 20 December 2014

I spent a month in the philippines and this is the worst place I stayed the entire time. Its reasonable priced but its simply dirty. They clearly don't maintain the place. I had booked their cheapest room cause it was affordable and I really don't expect much but beyond a basic bed and simple cleanliness. I arrived late in the evening and was very hungry so asked for a recommendation which they suggested the buttered chicken. When it came I realized all it was was a couple very crappy pieces of chicken dunked in the fryer and served up. It was horrible and yet the price was double anything i've paid elsewhere. Not a good start.

Next I asked for wifi pw which they provided but even though it showed me as connected I could never get on.

Next I wanted to explore the town and went to lock my room but it wouldn't lock. After an hour of them trying to figure it out it was a no go and the manager finally said because of all the problems they would upgrade to a better room. I thought great, good for the manager to do this. She showed me the room and at first impression it looked great, big, high ceilings, tv, ac, big washroom perfect. So moved my stuff and settled. It was only upon lying down that I noticed all the mold and grime on the ceiling and walls. Ok it was only a couple nights I can survive. Later I took a shower and I was standing in 3 inches of water cause the drain didn't work. I just figured I'd put up with it and simply enjoy the island.

Next day I went on an island hopping trip and met some great new friends. When I came back I was approached and told the upgrade was only good for the first night and I'd have to pay full price this night. I was like no way I'm paying for a sub par room at those rates so I packed up my things late in the evening and got outta there as fast as I could. Crossed to Iloilo on the boat in the dark and found a much more affordable and way cleaner hotel Llords I believe its called. I was soo happy to have a clean place as thats all I really needed.

So word or advice don't stay at the Shriven at any level room as they simply don't clean the place, the food is way overpriced, and they don't deserve your business. Place clearly was nice back in the day but that day has long since passed.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank christravel179
Reviewed 23 February 2014

As far as I know, there are only 2 options if you are looking for accommodation in the central area of Jordan, Guimaras and one of them is Shirven. In this context, I won't be making hard judgments on the hotel or better yet, I'll just list down the facts:

Positives

Room and bath are spacious
No mosquito or cockroach repellant smell
Seems to be gradually renovating the rooms - bathroom looks relatively new
Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Negatives

Most of the bed sheets are stained
Fixtures such as closet and TV stand are also stained
Better cleaning is needed

The hotel could clearly use some renovation. The owners seem to have made the rooms their DIY project, the result is not bad but the rooms need to be more aesthetically pleasing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank WomanWander
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed here during the Mango Festival in one of the cottages outside. Since it was nearest to the road the traffic was quite loud, but they had no space in the hotel for us. The room was basic and did get cleaned on our second day, which we weren’t expecting. It was close to the festival, and suited our needs well.

Room Tip: Cottages outside are noisy
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple