All reviews steve edwards fishing village fish eagles safari camp electric fence pontoon boat game drives bream great fun beautiful lake great food made us feel flora and fauna fantastic stay real highlight catfish his knowledge
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

My brother, sister in law, and another friend and myself had the pleasure of staying here while ministering in the nearby area. This was a fantastic place to stay.
Our hosts, steve and Wendi were incredible. They were knowledgeable of the area and our surroundings and the accommodations were much better than I ever anticipated. Meals were delicious and beds were very comfortable. They treated us as family, and I would definitely tell you this is a must see and stay.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2018

You don't go back time and again if you don't think that the place warrants it. We have known Steve and Wendy for many years, plus their 2 teenager children Graham and Robyn. We think this was our 7th visit, 6 over Xmas and New Year. The whole camp makes you really welcome with Alec behind the bar, Krynos looking after the eating area and Munya looking after the boats. We go for a week of 'chill-out' and fishing. You can do nothing, go on safari walks and also learn about Steve's rare dinosaur fossil finds of which he is extremely proud. A trip to the fishing village is a must for those who have never seen such a village. Food is excellent, served buffet style for brunch and dinner. Breakfast at 0530 for those who fish is toast, cereal, coffee, etc. Wendy ensured that my Type 2 Diabetes was well taken care of with regards to sugar and carb limitation. Snacks before evening dinner are always a treat with Kapenta, Crayfish, Potato Skins, fish goujons. If you catch fish you eat what you catch - how fresh is that. There are always many elephants to see from the island and if you are lucky there are lions. Plenty of crocs and hippos. The camp has just 8 tented rooms, No 1 nearest the bar and No 8 farthest away (for the young and fit!!!). Rooms are comfortable and well equipped with all amenities. Electricity in the evening is by generator so that you can charge your batteries.There are snakes but harmless Spotted Tree Snakes. Good birding there as well. Always a treat to go back. Try and link it with a camp in Hwange.

Room tip: All rooms face the prevailing wind.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeGrahamHermanus
Reviewed 3 January 2018

I tried in vain to avoid another tired traveler cliché, but Musango is an absolute gem, so please forgive it. We have sampled many, many safari lodges in our travels around Southern Africa and Musango truly is the one you’ve spent a long time searching for … idyllic location, every comfort, wild and romantic. I don’t want to copy and paste what every other reviewer has said, but I can’t help but echo the praise for the utterly charming, private rooms with sublime views of the lake, under the dappled shade of the woodland that has grown around the camp (thanks to the discrete electric fence); the kind of comfort food guaranteed to erode even the stiffest resolve; the eye-watering beauty of the Matusadonna and Steve and Wendy Edwards’ own corner of one of Africa’s heart-wrenchingly fragile pristine wilderness areas – to which they clearly go to heroic lengths to protect.

I have only one criticism and it seems petty in the context of this lost paradise, but still I gotta warn ya … communal dining. Why? I ask with tears in my eyes, why? It is the most peculiar quirk of the upmarket African safari lodge. Probably a legacy of colonial East Africa, but one that needs to die. Die. Nowhere else on earth to which I have traveled have I found myself obliged to eat all three meals each and every day with complete strangers. Forced to spend my precious, infinitely precious time with my family or good friends far away from the punishing demands of our lives making polite small talk with people I don’t know and don’t want to know – because I am an awful, anti-social individual beyond pretending I’m not. Oh the tedium and the strain of it all! Why is one never ever even offered a get-out? A nice tactful “We all scoff together here, but perhaps the two of you / your group of friends / your family with your young children would prefer to dine separately?” Then, awful, anti-social agoraphobes like myself could leap at the chance to escape the relentless socializing with complete strangers day after day, whilst the better caliber of traveler who enjoys meeting his or her fellow travel companions could demur. Anyway, to conclude my rant, I should qualify that very, very fortunately for us, the appallingly obnoxious individuals whom we met on our first day departed the following morning and the remaining guests were few and actually very fine company, however, I kept dwelling on the grim horror of the thought that had my dates been but a few days earlier, I would’ve found myself trapped in an agony of chit chat with this dreadful bore inflicted on me through no fault of my own.

Anyway, not to end on a sour note, we enjoyed our stay at Musango more than I can remember enjoying anywhere else in many, many years and plan to go back – with as many of our friends and family as I can persuade to visit this edge of eden.

Date of stay: December 2017
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

We had an incredible time in this paradise. For us what made it perfect was the incredible caring staff, particularly Graham who was so patient with my fascination with fishing. Steve was knowledgeable beyond belief. I will be returning!!! I felt so at peace being at Musango. Thank you for everything xx

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Wendy and Steve Edwards and their staff are so friendly and helpful, the ambience is lovely and relaxing. The chalets are gorgeous 'A' framed thatched cottages with open frontage (apart from insect screens!) and overlooking the shores of Lake Kariba. There is so much privacy, as the chalets are scattered amongst thick bush. Bushbuck roam the lawn and hippos snort and roar in the shallows of the lake, which one can hear lapping on the lake shore. Luckily there is an electric fence to keep the hippos and elephants out of the Lodge and chalets area, but the bushbuck and small animals can move around freely. A gorgeous bathroom is in the chalet too, supplied with luxurious toiletries, and there is plenty of wardrobe space for clothes etc. The food is delicious and served under the shade of a huge tree at lunch and dinner times. Fishing and game trips by boat or vehicle are available and photographic opportunities abound. We loved our time at Musango and will be back as soon as we can!! Thanks Wendy and Steve and staff, what an experience!

Date of stay: October 2017