All reviews kapeng barako steep road beach front roller coaster dining hall bring your own balsa kayak slides adventure veggies seekers escapade jocelyn jeepney unli dessert
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Going there is an adventure itself. Make sure that you made reservations so that the resort can send its jeepney shuttles to pick you up from the town (which is a good 8km away). The road to the resort is narrow. Trips at night should be avoided like the plague.

The place is big, enough to host a good number of people. Parking and security are taken cared of. The room that we had was cool and I liked the fact that there's no TV. Internet is spotty so you're pretty much forced to be offline. Not a problem if you want to get away from it all for a weekend.

Food? We were in a big group and food was buffet style for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I loved the veggies - these didn't have meat in them and still tasty, you could taste the butter in the buttered vegetables. If you're vegetarian, not sure if they will customize the food since I'm not sure if they have ala carte menu.

There's snacks to buy from them and they're pretty stocked so it should tide you over for a day or two. Make sure you buy everything you need before you get here.

Towels not provided so bring your own. Soap and shampoo and conditioner available.

All in all it was a pretty relaxing trip. Will be happy to come back.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yvette B
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We thought it is the best place to spend my husband's birthday and our 7th wedding anniversary. So we booked 3d/2n accomodation (May 26-28).
Since we don't have a car, we went there riding a tricycle. But we ended up to an accident because of the very steep road. Thank God we're still alive.
I think it would be better if the resort will have its own shuttle/service to accommodate those guests who doesn't have their own car. Just to be safe. To make sure that the guest will arrive safely, because the 8 kilometer journey is not a joke.
Hopefully the owner will consider this option.
We're still considering to come back because we never had a chance to experience the beach.
I want to thank the resort staff who look after our kids when we were in the hospital and even refunded our deposit.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Jhen Q
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Been in this place together with my family and friends and as I've mentioned in the subject - you must be prepared for a road trip.

The roads going to this place are really scary as it's full of dangerous curves and car engines screaming for help due to it's altitude. The moment you enter their "baranggay", I'm sure you will feel the road intesity with full of drive up and drive down (as if you are in a roller coaster)

Anyways about the place, cleanliness and maintenance is commendable. The staff are very courteous and organized. We were offered a juice upon our arrival which was a nice touch. There's also an unlimited "kapeng barako" (local coffee) which was nice too.

Now, talking about the place, i must say that the view is fair enough (see photos) and I can't complain for the price that we paid. The water is clear though the sands are not that pleasing. There's a "balsa" (man- made floater) which you can bring to the middle of the ocean and eat/drink there. For me, that was the best part.
There's also a pool but I must say that the water were not so pleasing though there are slides for my kids and young ones.

Travellers Tip: Do not go there at night. You might end up to a detour straight to Ocean nowhere

Stayed: July 2017
1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed 29 May 2017

As the title suggests, La Thalia is a great place to spend your summer escapade, but in order to get there, you need to be up to the challenge. The 8-kilometer challenge! You literally need to climb UP an entire mountain with your car, and climb down that same mountain to get to the resort. And as almost all other reviews would caution, it is not for the inexperienced drivers. My overall assessment of La Thalia below:

Pros:
- Hands down one of the BEST in terms of hospitality and friendliness of the caretakers (kudos to Mam Jocelyn and team!)
- Crystal clear waters, clean beach
- Lots of activities to do (kayak, speedboat, snorkeling, jet ski, etc.)
- Rooms are cozy, especially beach front rooms
- food is delicious, especially the desserts (plus unli kapeng barako)
- There are no cooking areas, so if you are staying overnight, meals are inclusive and are served at the cafeteria or dining hall.
- Kids will love the pools with slides
- Bring marshmallows. They can set-up a Bonfire for you :)

Cons:
- Did i mention the 8-km challenge? lol
- Small aircons for the big rooms, so it takes a bit of time to cool the whole room
- getting a stable globe mobile phone signal is a bit of a challenge
- on our 2nd day, waves were a bit strong hence the water got a bit murky and dirty

additional note: on our 1st day, everything was perfect, we had the resort to ourselves, peaceful and quite, pristine beach and waters. on the 2nd day, there were 100+ people, it became a beach party, loud and noisy.

In my reviews, if i have nothing to list in CONS, only then does it warrant 5 stars. But for la thalia, i give it 4 stars, very good. I would definitely come back, but maybe time it to when there are not too many other reservations/bookings.

Room Tip: indian rooms for beach front
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Thalia B, Manager at La Thalia Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2017

Thank you for your review Sir Jake.. We really value your comments.. I would recommend the month of December - April as the best month to stay with us.. We are already in the Habagat season where everything we do in beach depends on the weather/beach condition.. We promise to give you the same or the best service once again on your return.. :)

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

We went to this resort for a day's swimming. It is a looong drive up and down a narrow, mostly cemented road. The place is okay, lots of space for parking. They have several huts with a table and benches. Cost is P300 per person, though, and not per hut. Unlimited free coffee and water, and a welcome drink - very sweet iced tea.

The pool was average; they have a nice, long curving slide. Otherwise, nothing much. The sea was very clear, great for swimming. However, the beach was very pebbly, with some bigger stones in the water. They have jet-skis for rent.

We went on a Thursday and had the whole beach to ourselves!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family