Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews mr prithvi meditation room top floor the owner meditation hall bonfire area visited kalpa french windows breathtaking views electric kettle snow capped mountains library books hospitality balcony beauty yeti
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 July 2021

I visited Grand Shamba La in September 2016 and vowed to come back.
I came back in 2021 and my first reaction was: I am back home. The place gives a sense of homecoming, such is the connect that I have with this place. That warm, cosy feeling of being absolutely welcome in a place thousands of KMS away from home.

Shamba La means a mystical abode and it truly lives up to its name. Stunning views of the Kinner Kailash range, apple orchards, picturesque beauty all around: what else can a mountain lover ask for?

The hotel has a wonderful library on the 5th floor with an attic where you can sit for hours looking at the Kinner Kailash range. (Do not MISS the sunrise!)

Besides the spectacular views of the Kinner Kailash, Hotel The Grand Shamba La, boasts of unmatched hospitality in this Kinnauri town of Kalpa.

While my first memory of the hotel is being welcomed with greetings of Tashi Delek and white silken scarves, I vividly remember my jaw-dropping in awe walking past apple trees. So when Prithvi, the owner of the hotel greeted me with a beaming smile, the kid in me blurted out in excitement, "Can I pluck apples in your orchard?"

And he was gracious enough to arrange an apple plucking visit for us with an apple plucking tutorial!

During my stay at the Grand Shamba La, I absolutely cannot choose what stayed with me the most.

The heartwarming hospitality of Prithvi and Ashok,  the bright smiles of the ever-helpful Ankit, Devender and the other staff, the serenity and calm of the mediation center, enveloped in tranquility, the cozy library, or the therapeutic views of Kinner Kailash from my room.

Or maybe it is the delightful food whipped up by the chefs or the generous servings of fresh apple juice.

They also have a Meditation centre: Yeti, where one can practice Yoga with placid views of orchards and peaks. And for those who wish to dine with a view, there is Cafe Little Tibet, offering Tibetan snacks, organic juices and herbal teas.
There is also a movie room where one can watch documentaries.

If this isn’t a mystical abode, I wonder what else is. A combination of the pleasures of modern luxuries and the hospitality of a homestay. I can't imagine staying anywhere else when I am in Kalpa.

Room tip: Take a room facing Kinner Kailash and preferably at the third or fourth floor!
Reviewed 12 May 2021 via mobile

So we were supposed to stay here for a day on our journey to Spiti but then fortunately or unfortunately it snowed on same night and we had to extend our stay from a night to two nights. When I say fortunately then there is a reason behind that. 1st one is that having witnessed 1st snowfall of the season in Kalpa was simply a blessing disguise and the 2nd reason was the hotel it self. Owner and the staff took care of ours in such a way which I can’t even explain in words. Room in which we were staying had mesmerising view of mount Kailash and the food which they served was basic but definitely delicious. We couldn’t have asked for more. Hence I would say, if you are in kalpa and like your bed to be comfy, food to be yum and services to be top notch, do stay at Shamba-la.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2021 via mobile

Recently stayed at The Grand Shamba-ka, Kalpa. Initially 1st impression once you enter is bit un-nerving. But once you settle, it’s comfortable & the views from the rooms are breathtaking (snow clad mountains right from your front room balcony). Hospitality was too good & Mr.Dev in charge & the staff looked after the guests needs & likes personally. We were served fantastic choice of hot breakfast & dinner that we would prefer. Met the owners who are very modest & humble. The stair climbing is bit hard but worth it once you see the views from the rooms. Top 5th floor has library with fantastic collection. The bar Yeti had a wide screen to watch movies, sports etc. Would definitely recommend this property in Kalpa. Look forward to re-visiting soon.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2021 via mobile

The best host and the greatest hospitality you can ever hope for. The front rooms have the best views of Kinner Kailash in all of Kalpa. Their library is fantastic, as are the meditation room and the entertainment room with a large projector and a great collection of movies and documentaries.
We went for our 30th anniversary for six days and the entire trip was phenomenal. We will cherish these memories all our life. The staff had arranged for a well thought of private, candle light dinner for the two of us.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2021 via mobile

The staff is amazing the host and the owner both are very humble and very hospitable . The best view from kalpa .
The bar
Library
And the bonfire area are amazing .
Devil the staff guy is always excited to host the guests.
Whenever in kalpa without a doubt opt for this one .
Recommended trip to chakka and peo market also .

Date of stay: February 2021