“Best property in Kalpa and adjoining areas”
Review of The Monk-Kalpa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalpa
The Monk-Kalpa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kalpa
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“Best property in Kalpa and adjoining areas”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I am an avid traveler and a trekker, I had been visiting Kinnur since 1996 and have done some really tough treks in this region including Kinner Kailash parikarma .In the past I have stayed in circuit house with proper permissions but during my last visits to the region with my family I didn’t got the permission to stay in Circuit house.
Since I was on my own vehicle I got the chance to find the best hotel for me and my family(with kids) though there was one more family with me along with kids.
First thing make sure to not to stay in Recong Peo since it is not a proper tourist town, that more like Delhi suburb. In Kalpa there are around 20 Hotels for every type of Budget, I visited each one and most of them were like Apartments having dingy rooms with stereotypes Balconies with no privacy. There were no play areas for kids. My kind of holiday is whenever you come out of your room you should put your feet in grass or lawn instead of gallery and smell fresh air instead of Kitchen or anything else.
Three hotels stands out among all ,Hotel Rakpa, Kinner Villa and Monk. Rakpa have a big lawn , good parking space and helpful Manager (Sharma jee) but negative point are Bad rooms, substandard food . Kinner Villa is bit expensive and Monk seems to be best.
Monk is the ultimate property , what I like about Monk is its beautiful location with awesome view, All the cottages and tents are located inside beautifully landscaped garden with wide variety of flowers. The lawn is full of wild peach, wild apricot , Chilgoze and Devdar tress. The service and food is extremely good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Prashant B
GSNegi, Guest Relations Manager at The Monk-Kalpa, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Sir We are humbled by your comments and look forward for your next visit and hope you will explore more of Himachal with us by way of Safari trips and Trekking trips or combination. Thanx once again for appreciating our efforts.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We reached Kalpa at noon and found the board to Monk. I had read about it on Tripadvisor so we went straight there. They had space available so we booked a tent for couple of nights.

The place has some amazing views of Kinner Kailash range and you can see the snow covered peaks right from your tent. The tents were pretty nice and big with lot of space.

The service and food was amazing. We also tried the herbal tea and fresh golden apple juice; thanks to the caretaker Rawat. We did not go anywhere and just relaxed at the resort for the 2 days that we were there.

Only disappointment were the toilets which did not have a washbasin and were very basic.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ajit S
Bangalore
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Great location ! Great view! Even though the road trip was bumpy and long, Kalpa was breathtakingly beautiful. We stayed in The Monk for 2 days. We loved everything about it. We were exploring Himachal and we fell in love with Kalpa. We stayed in the tents. What was more pleasing was the hospitality and the people.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mamatha D
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed at the tent camps in Kalpa. Amazing location, amazing people, food and service. All this at amazing budget. Far away from the chaos of any city is this camp site in Kalpa. I can visit this again and again and make it my base to see all the amazing places around. The stay was so great that I felt that I was staying at a friends place. Surely waiting to visit again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank parampreetdhanoa
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We were travelling kinnaur visiting monasteries ; stayed at The Monk for three days. The location offers excellent view of Kinner kailash,with just some orchards in between, the mountains seem so close as if you could pick up some snow by stretching your arm.
Pleasant stay made more memorable with unparalleled hospitality by the care taker Naveen. Good vegetarian cook, very affectionate. prompt and caring. He even called as back home to check whether we enjoyed our stay.
They also have a property at Nako, which did not start for the season when we were there (May 2012).
Highly recommended, on grounds of personal care and hospitality.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank RangaSaiCVS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpa
12.9 km away
28.6 km away
Hotel Ekant
Hotel Ekant
#1 of 13 in Chail

Been to The Monk-Kalpa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK