Tree Top Eco-Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsban lunghot watermosquito netin townguy working thereplace is greatpeaceful placebig deckelephant trekminority villageswifi only worksno pressurerooms are lovelyprivate bungalowonly drawbackadjoining roomslocated close
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

The idea of the place is great,but it definitely needs a bit of a make over!Bungalows are very dark and rustic. Our hammock broke on my friend,just as well nothing happened! Wooden steps need fixing and i also dont appreciate it,if the guy working there is trying to sell me a totally overpriced tour,before i even ordered lunch! We decided to not stay there and looked for somewhere else...

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Such a beautiful place and the staff is very friendly and flexible! The only problem I had was that loud music came over the valley and made it difficult to sleep in the bungalow. December seems to the party season in the city, other times there probably isn't this much noise. It's still quieter here than in town! I rented a mountain bike from the guest house, great additional service. The only downside in the place is "Mr Happy" who tries to sell his tours and is not as polite and considerate as one would wish. The wifi only works in the common area, which is great so you don't get stuck online in your room :)

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

So, firstly the buildings are lovely, the area is set back and is very relaxing. Some of the the wooden boards could do with replacing on the walk ways though. The food was ok, nothing to shout about. We found nicer just up the road. The worst part for us was the very push tour guides that operate from here. We had dropped our bags in the bungalow and came back up for a drink and a bite to eat after the bus journey. The guy came over and would not take no for an answer, even when our food came he sat and pestered us. We eventually did a $60 tour seeing two very average waterfalls that we had to pay to get in too, the gem mine (a few holes in the ground with people digging) where we were semi pressured buy gems. Then finally the lake where we were dropped in the car park and asked how long we would be. Having no idea what it was like or what there was to do we said an hr and off our "guide" went. We basically paid $60 for a morning taxi service. We noted that all guests when first arriving are badgered about the tours. My advice. Look else where. Another couple of travelers we met had great guide who were very attention joined in with the swimming etc. Ours just pointed and waited in the car. No history of the places we saw or advice on what was safe or not.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

My friends and me stayed here for one night, not we want to leave early but we have no much time in Ratanakiri and we move to pakse (Lao). Everything acceptable, staffs lovely, helpful. Good Location just 10 minutes walk to town.

Thanks all staffs we will back soon.

Stayed: November 2017
Reviewed 14 November 2017

I was unfortunately ill when I stayed at Tree Top, but I have to say that this is a pretty good place to be ill at! The serene atmosphere and beautiful view made lounging about while recovering quite enjoyable. I stayed in a nice room up behind the common area for a reasonable price, as all freestanding bungalows were booked. The room was comfortable, clean and cozy. It came with an ensuite, floor to ceiling windows which offered a fantastic view, and a balcony where I could comfortably sit and do some work on my laptop. The room was regularly cleaned, came with towels and double blankets (much appreciated as it does get chilly), and equipped with a lockable cupboard and a wall fan. The only drawback of the room was its limited privacy, I could hear what was going on in the adjoining rooms and the balconies are all lined up next to each other with no means of separation. I found the staff to be friendly, attentive and very accommodating.

The onsite restaurant offers a decent variety of meals at an acceptable price-level. (There is another restaurant just a little further down the road which had nicer food and a more varied menu.)

On a less positive note: As I was ill I did not go on any of the advertised treks, but I can’t really say that I was tempted to book one through Tree Top – the options presented to me seemed to be more tailored to what the guide wanted to do than what I would want to do/see. The prices were not set and I had the impression that I could get better deals elsewhere in town.

Although this is not at all caused by Tree Top I have to mention the exceptionally bad bus journey to PP. I booked a “VIP” minibus through Tree Top, and as I understand it this bus does not operate under any company name (and therefore I cannot review the bus separately). The bus was seriously overloaded, the driver drove like a madman and blasted music all throughout the journey. The driver also stopped to have a snack/meal seemingly whenever he felt like it. I have been on many questionable bus rides all over Asia, but this was one of the worst ones, I’m not just being prissy.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay even though I was feeling poorly and I would certainly recommend this place – but I would not go on that bus again.

Room Tip: The bungalows offer more privacy than the rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo