“Amazing Night away ”

The Newport Restaurant with Rooms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Newport Restaurant with Rooms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 65
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The Newport in Newport on Tay is a must for the lovers of great food great views great rooms and great company. The 4 themed rooms are well appointed and so comfortable. The food is outstanding. The tasting menus offer fish meat and vegetarian options with matching wine flights. The small plates are ideal for sharing and the breakfasts are delicious with home cured salmon home made sausages and homemade bread. The fresh mushrooms are foraged so fast and different. Can't fault it.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Where on earth can I start with this one !!!! Never mind Mrs B's birthday I was that excited about going to the restaurant of the winner of Masterchef !!!! (JAMIE SCOTT) I almost wet myself.

Arrived on Sunday 18th March at 12 o'clock.

We were taken up to the top floor and sat beside the window looking over the Tay . Stunning views .

I have taken some foto's of the outstanding food as my words fail me I don't have the words to describe the stunning food that we received.

It was a champagne lunch we had at £35 pp amazing value.

I have not stopped talking about it for the last 2 weeks and I have told everyone I could to get a table booked !!!
What a great atmosphere service was impeccable we were so well looked after by the staff. Didn't need to ask for anything as the staff were always one step ahead. AMAZING SERVICE! !!! Can't be faulted.

It was my wife that spotted it ............... No salt . No pepper .

Not that it was needed . My gosh everything was seasoned to perfection !!!!! I MEAN PERFECTION !!!

Another thing look out for small details be it the lights in the WC just take in every detail of the place .

Of course spotlessly clean and everything was shinning .

I am going to say dessert........ get the sticky toffee soufflé I wish I had the words to describe to you how good it was !!!

We weren't rushed we were made to feel so welcome and relaxed we left at 4pm such an amazing experience! !!!! If I could give it 10 stars I would !!! Mrs B had a ball but I think I had such a good time you think it was my birthday treat !!
Great vue for money to boot !!!

Last thing made Mrs B's managed to see Jamie through the kitchen window.

MADE HER BIRTHDAY! !!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were invited out by family members to celebrate our Ruby Wedding Anniversary and did so in style (after we shed the walking boots we needed to get there in the snow drifts!) The previous reviewer clearly had the same tasting menu as we did and we shared her very positive feelings. Unlike one of the reviewers we enjoyed the gaps between courses when we had good chat - we felt the gaps added to the uniqueness of each course. We felt the staff had the right balance between attentiveness and letting us have some time and privacy. Each course was carefully crafted and we can still remember them all a few weeks after the event. It would be hard to choose any favourites - the St Andrews Ale bread was remarkable; the winter salad exceptional and the blood orange marmalade concoction with white chocolate very more-ish. Like auroraskyline none of us was overly keen on the addition of olive flavour to the last (and otherwise superb) chocolate dish - but it didn't in any way spoil what was a memorable meal. I think perhaps we were all a little less excited by the main courses than all of the others - but it was a close call.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We booked a last-minute meal with my other half's family for Mother's Day. They managed to seat 10 of us with only booking that morning - great start!

We had the 6-course tasting menu (which was more like a 9-course - no complaints!) and it was really lovely. From what I understand, the tasting menu changes slightly day-to-day depending on the produce they have and the season. The menu we sampled is not the one currently on the website, but it was brilliant nonetheless.

The first course of the menu beings with 4 small tastings which could be a course in its own right in my opinion. The menu we sampled began with beremeal, turnip & curry before a St. Andrew's cheddar doughnut & winter truffle (literally cheese in a doughnut!), a crab taco and and ox cheek & celeriac bowl. All 4 courses were lovely and, needless to say, quite filling on their own!

The following course was a winter salad with fermented and raw vegetables which was very refreshing. Third course was scallops with kohlrabi, fennel & a green sauce which was also very refreshing. I'm not usually one who would order scallops, but it was cooked beautifully. For the fourth course, there was a choice between duck and pork. The pork dish came with shoulder of pork and also pork cheek, both of which were melt-in-the-mouth, albeit a bit salty for my taste. Still a lovely dish.

The fifth course was the first of the sweet dishes. We had the most gorgeous blood orange marmalade - a small sphere of ice cream(??) and a marmalade centre. I could've eaten a whole bowl of those and be quite happy! The last and final course was the second sweet dish - a 70% dark chocolate with olive oil and almond. This one, I was not overly keen on. It came with an olive oil sorbet which tasted more like garlic, which was really off-putting for me personally. I didn't feel it went well with the dark chocolate or the almond. I happily ate around the sorbet though, as the rest of the dish was pleasant.

There is also the option to order a cheese board or a cheese toastie between the fourth course (duck/pork in our case) and the first of the sweet dishes. We were all struggling by the fourth course, so we passed on both cheese board and cheese toastie!

A lot of work went in to creating and producing the dishes on the tasting menu and it is quite obvious. This is the first tasting menu I have ever tried in a restaurant and I'd happily try another after this experience. I wasn't overly sure that to expect, but was pleasantly surprised albeit beyond full!

I'd definitely recommend The Newport to anyone who asks. Just be wary that the restaurant is accessible either through the bar or round the back, down the stairs through the glass doors - we got lost trying to find out way in to the building! I'm not sure how accessible this would be with a wheelchair, but I imagine staff would do everything they can to accommodate, as they were fantastic on our visit where there were also two young children under 5.

1  Thank auroraskyline
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We had our table cancelled due to the bad weather on Thursday but luckily managed to book another table for Saturday for my husband, mother in law and myself. It was the tasting menu and as always the food was amazing! This is our favourite restaurant to go to for either couples night or night with family. The food is always great. The thought that goes into each and every single dish is unreal. My favourite was the crab taco in the appetizer. But every dish was amazing. Only thing I would say is that it took a long time for some of the dishes to come out, our table was booked at 645 and we never left until 1030. But they are so welcoming, my mother in law isn't able to use stairs very easily and we were able to get seated at the tables in the same level and staff are very attentive. Would always give this place a 5 star because you can never be disappointed with the food that gets served to you. Definetly recommend.