Donnington Manor Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
7 Hotel Diner(Halstead)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewscar parklovely hotelone night staywalk in showercomfortable roomsan upgradeplenty of parkinggreat showercomfortable stayan evening mealstaff were attentiveexecutive roombeansbaconfamily weddingfriesfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked an overnight stay to celebrate my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary, the staff were excellent, couldn't do enough to help,very professional and friendly.
The recent refurbishment was beautifully done creating a warm and welcoming ambience.
The food in the Italalian restaurant was totally delicious, overall a fabulous stay and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rayandJanetAllder
Mohammed A, Manager at Donnington Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Rayand

I am delighted to hear you chose to stay at Donnington Manor Hotel for your wife's birthday, it is a pleasure to hear you were warmly greeted on arrival and enjoyed the food.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best regard and many thanks
Mohammad a

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Not sure where to start. We visited this hotel when it was a Best Western and booked out rooms for my daughter's wedding on Saturday 31st March. The wedding (thank goodness) was at Westerham Golf Club and that could not have gone better. The hotel is no longer a Best Western but independently owned which now explains the appaling service and despite several calls to Mohammed no response to my complaints. I am pleased to see other guests are now commenting about their awful experience so I really hope no one books to stay here and they suffer financially as a result as nothing esle seems to be getting through to them and really they don't care.

- on arrival Saturday at 11.30 there was a long queue of wedding guests waiting to check in and previous guests trying to check out. The lovely receptionist was doing her best to cope and despite managers seeing what was going on she was offered no help and I even asked one to help and just got a very rude response.
- despite booking our room a 18 months ago they had no record of this but thankfully there was a room for us available, which as parents of the bride was very lucky!
- guests had been told there rooms would be available from 12 noon but they were not ready and the reception manager (who eventually turned up to help the junior receptionist) did not really care. So we had guests changing in the toilets and the car park.
- when we got back from the wedding around mid-night we witnessed the guests from the last review complaining about people being in their room and again treated really badly (see last review it is all true).
- the luggage room where most of the guests luggage was stored was unlocked and unmanned so anyone could have helped themselves to our posessions and again the reception did not care.
- one guest was booked into a room next to the boiler and was kept awake until 3 in the morning by the loud noises coming from the boiler and eventually they came up to see what was causing the noise and turned out the boiler was broken.
- breakfast was something out of Faulty Towers and the staff not only had no clue how to organise or serve they were very rude with it. No-one taking room numbers or seating guests; cold selection and juices not replinshed until requested and then really slowly, you had to cook your own toast using cheap white bread which was still frozen and one toaster between all the guests; the cooked breakast was extremely mean in portion size and cold; many of us waited over an hour for cooked breakfast and the staff really did not care about the wait and were even rude about it; guests were asked to wait in the bar area to be seated for breakfast when the restaurant was full but then not called in and others went in front of them.
- booking was chaotic before and after the wedding with several incidents of them trying to overcharge guests. It transpired that we had originally booked for the Friday and Saturday evening but I cancelled the Friday night two months previously but they cancelled the Saturday instead which is why they could not find our booking on the Saturday morning.
- I have spoken to Mohammed who promised to investigate and ring me back but has not done so and I don't think he will because they are an independent hotel and he does not have to answer to a larger organisation.

My advice to any young people working there is to get yourself a new job fast as you do not want to be associated with this hotel and the bad management; and my advice to any potential guests please do not book here.

We, the Bride and Groom are very embrassed that our wedding guests who stayed here had to endure this awful hotel and we apologise for recommending it as a place to stay but thank goodness we did not have the wedding here.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank David B
Mohammed A, General Manager at Donnington Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Mr David Bryan,

I am contacting you in regards to the feedback that we received from your wife, Mrs Amanda Bryan. I would appreciate if you would share my correspondence with your wife.

Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to read that your stay did not go well at Donnington Manor Hotel.

Please be assured that we have noted all your comments and please be informed that guaranteed check in time in our hotel is at 2pm. Please be rest assured that we did try our best to turn around the rooms and get them ready for you and your guests as early and as quick as possible. Please note that reservations you had did not have an early check in request nor estimated time of arrival specified.

In regards to the storage room concern you had, I would like to inform you that there is CCTV camera in front of the door operating 24 hours, as well as, the door has a lock. Please be informed that the door were kept unlocked during the check in of your party as it was easier to access for a quicker service. Hence, after check ins were completed the luggage room is operated by the reception team.

I was very disappointed to see the feedback about the room cleanliness, as we have very high cleanliness standards and always inspect the room twice prior check in in order to meet guest’s expectation. I am confident that we could rectify the cleanliness issue if it would be addressed directly to the hotel management at the time while you were in the Hotel.

Please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during breakfast service. We always strive to give our best and accommodate the guest’s needs to the best of our ability. Even though we serve breakfast until 10:30am, and the whole wedding party arrived at 10am together, we tried our best to refresh the buffet and clean the tables to accommodate your group. The groom was very happy with the breakfast and complimented us, even though he had sat down twice for breakfast.

Mr. Bryan, seems like you fell short in communicating estimated time of arrival and specific requests you had with the hotel, however still had expectations. I trust we did our best in accommodating your requests on the spot. Food and Beverage manager tried to assist you upon arrival and his help has been rejected. However, you addressed him as a Mediterranean guy which to him felt personal.
I do hope that we can welcome you back soon and please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can personally oversee any future reservations for you.

Best Regards and Many thanks

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Wow. What can I say. An absolute shambles from beginning to end.

Checked into the hotel for a wedding this weekend and my husband managed to check us in early and dropped his car keys into our bedroom, which wasn't made up yet - perfectly understandable.

We returned back to the hotel around 1am, and our room key didn't work. Went down to reception... he suggested maybe we had left the key next to a phone and so it wouldn't work (?) an utterly bizarre reaction, but we were given a new key nonetheless.

Went back to our room. Let ourselves in, only to find another couple, obviously horrified, in our room. We quickly grabbed our keys and left. Went back down to reception, pretty shocked, and demanded to know how this had happened. The gentleman behind the desk was horrified and desperately tried to work out what had happened.

After much faffing, we were given another room, headed there. It STANK of smoke. Someone had clearly been smoking in the room. Another delight was the used dental floss in the shower. Lovely.

In the morning, we headed to breakfast, which we were told we needed to wait in the foyer for as they were very busy. Eventually after 15 minutes we tried again - there were plenty of free tables but the place was total chaos. In the end we found ourselves a table, sat down, went to the buffet, which was completely barren. No bread, butter, or juice left. This was eventually replenished and we ordered two full english breakfasts with fried eggs. 25 minutes later - still not food. 35 minutes later and several promises of food, nada. After 45 minutes it arrived with poached eggs. The whole thing was so shambolic that we honestly couldn't be bothered to send it back.

On check out, we requested a refund, which to be honest, was the minimum I think they could do for us considering the whole hideous experience. It was denied - and we were told the operations manager would call us back at the latest by today (3 days after we checked out). No phone call.

I should also point out that when we complained about breakfast, we were told (this is verbatim) "When the hotel is full we cannot provide good service". I've stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and I have never, ever, heard such a pathetic excuse.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jesswood88

Dear Jesswood88,

Please be assured that we have noted all your comments, and to be informed that hotel policies check in time is after 14.00. Please be rest assured that we did try our best to turn around the rooms and get them ready for you and your guests as quickly as possible. For your group to arrive at 10.00am and demanded to be checked in early, knowing that all hotels have check in time policies but we did our best to accommodate you all. Please note that reservations you had did not have an early check in request nor estimated time of arrival specified.

Regarding your concern about guest coming into your room, we have contacted you directly on this matter.

Jesswood88, seems like you fell short in communicating estimated time of arrival and specific requests you had with the hotel, however still had expectations. I trust we did our best in accommodating your requests on the spot. Food and Beverage manager tried to assist you upon arrival and his help has been rejected. However, group organizer addressed him as a Mediterranean guy which to him felt personal.

Best regards and many thanks

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for one night this weekend as attended a wedding locally. Although an okay stay, I feel it was very overpriced. Met with a chaotic check in - only one person on main reception and offered no where to leave bag
as room wasn’t ready. Rooms okay, bit cold and noisy air con. Breakfast poor and very slow service. For a 4 star hotel expected a lot more, probably wouldn’t stay again.

Stayed: April 2018
4  Thank Heather A
Soumita B, Manager at Donnington Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear HeatherA

Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent experience. I can assure you this was not intentional.

I have contacted you directly to discuss your experience. Please do contact us directly in order to discuss your experience in further detail. We would welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed here overnight whilst doing part of The North Downs walk. When we arrived we were all incredibly muddy and exceptionally cold. The receptionist was very helpful and got us towels to wipe our hands and faces.
When we got to our room, our bed hadn’t been made up!!! I had to go to the reception to get them to come up, we were given another room. Apologies were made.

The room was very comfy. King sized bed. Tea and coffee etc. Good quality hair drier. The shower was powerful with gallons of hot water. Tv on the wall, not used by us.

Most of us had booked breakfast. This was slightly disappointing. We all had the full English breakfast.
Our food came fairly quickly, the poached egg was good, the sausage wasn’t very nice, not sure if the mushrooms were fresh. I’ve had much better breakfasts in a cafe. No toast was bought with the breakfast. It was self service, one 4 slice toaster, so you either had no toast or a cold breakfast!
I would have thought that marmalade, jam etc would have been in the table too. When I asked for marmalade, they said they didn’t do it.
I had tea which was fine, but apparently the coffee was not good.
For the price of the breakfast, it was disappointing £13.95 if booked on the day, booked with b&b its £10.
Don’t let my review of the breakfast put you off the hotel.
We had a very comfortable nights sleep.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Dear Annecurran2017,

I am delighted we have won you over!

I will be discussing your concerns with our Food & Beverage department and you should see an improvement on your next stay.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Best regards and many thanks