Review Highlights
A great time at the controls!

Very refreshing to do an experience that actually delivers what it promises. I had a one hour... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
chester k
London, United Kingdom
1 Hour flying lesson

What a great flying experience for myself and my young son with Ian. A very welcoming environment... read more

Reviewed 8 November 2018
thomasstoddart
London, United Kingdom

All reviews tiger moth open cockpit flying experience minute flight exhilarating experience pilot steve great fun weather conditions down to earth four seater grass runway makes you feel small amount taking photos control tower health and safety my partner
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

I have marked this down purely for the fact that these days are potentially a once in a lifetime and the opportunities for picture taking are poor. Yes you can take them around the plane on boarding, then that's it. No take off or landing. Also a gopro fixed to the aircraft to record your flight would be good. Did enjoy the flight but technological improvements could enhance the overall experience. The "picnic area" needs attention if you send people there to wait.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

I was bought a flight as a present and an excellent present it was. The open cockpit added an extra dimension no unlike a motorbike with the wind in your face that you just don't get from being enclosed. We flew as far as Bongor Regis and I had the chance to manage the basic controls (harder than you think and takes a lot of concentration). All in all excellent except my pilot who was fine in the air was a bit of a grumpy person immediately before and after the flight. Everyone doing this hasn't a clue what to do so be a bit more patient.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Had the pleasure of going up and taking control of a light aircraft with perry air. From the moment I get there the staff made me feel welcome and relaxed. My pilot Steve was an absolute legend. He was funny, informative and made the experience even better. Recommend perry air and it's staff. Superb.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Had an awesome time flying the Tiger Moth with Ian Perry out of Shoreham fantastic time enjoyed every minute of it
The instructors and staff were friendly, helpful and fun

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I was given a gift voucher for a 60 minute flight in Perry Air's Tiger Moth (G-AMNN) last year. I called them in September with the intention of booking the flight for spring this year, after a quick phone call I was politely asked to ring back in February time this year to make the booking, which I did and got a flight booked without issue for the end of April. I was advised to call on the morning of the flight to confirm everything was still good to go, primarily weather conditions. I did this and unfortunately the flight had to be cancelled due to poor weather at Shoreham, this is perfectly understandable, safety has to come first and waiting for better weather means a better experience anyways. I discussed rebooking with them at this time and they were happy to allow me to take a few days to figure out a new date that would work for me, this was useful since I had family that wished to come and watch who I needed to discuss with. I then called back and rebooked for the 10th of June (day of writing this review)
Once again I call up and check, this time I'm told everything looks great, so I drive to the airfield and meet up with family. We then go inside and I get booked in. I then wait for the instructor to return from the flight he is currently on (I arrived around an hour early for the flight)
Once the instructor arrived he came over, greeted us and introduced himself, he was polite and friendly for the whole time we were there, and seemed to have a genuine love for aviation. He asked what I wanted to do/where I wanted to go during the flight and asked if I had any previous flying experience, which I do, a small amount of time in grob tutors with the air cadets, after a brief discussion we decided we just fly around and see the local sights. He then walked us to the hangar where I was issued a flying jacket (the old WW2 style ones) that really helped keep me warm during the flight (when your in an open cockpit aircraft flying at speed it can get a bit windy) and issued my family members high visibility jackets so they could come out and take some photos before we got going. He also introduced us to 2 other gentlemen, again who were very polite and friendly, who would be looking after my family members while they were airside taking photos and would be helping prepare the aircraft (the Tiger Moth relies on hand propping, so you need at least 1 person on the ground to get her started)
The instructor then walked us to the aircraft, an aircraft which just looked absolutely amazing and in great condition. He then gave me a chance to have photos taken around the aircraft while he was performing his walk around checks.
Once this was done my instructor showed me how to get into the aircraft and where I could put my hands and feet while climbing into the seat. (Yes, you do need to climb onto the wing and over the cockpit wall, then step into the seat, but it's pretty easy, they provide a step to assist you getting onto the wing, and once the "door" is opened the cockpit wall you need to step over is pretty low)
Once I was sat in the seat my instructor helped me strap in, and how to release the straps if I needed to, the then handed me a leather flying helmet (again WW2 style) and headset.
My instructor then got himself comfortable in the back seat and, with the help of the gentlemen outside the aircraft got the engine started.
We then began taxiing to the runway and during this time he briefed me on the controls and how he would hand the controls to me and take them from me as required. He then allowed me to have a go at taxiing the aircraft myself. We then arrived at the runway, at which point my instructor took over again to get the aircraft in the air, we then climbed and got clear of the airspace around the airfield. He then asked me to follow through on the controls, i.e. gently hold the controls so I could feel what he was doing, but not to apply any resistance to his inputs, this allowed him to demonstrate the effects of the inputs and the size of inputs required. He then let me take over flying with the stick only to begin with, while he dealt with the rudder. After I'd done this for a short while he took control back and demonstrated the rudder, the then gave me control of the rudder only to let me get a feel for that. Once I was happy with both individually he asked me to fly both with the rudder and stick. This approach worked well as it meant there was less to work out in one go, it takes a fair bit of multi-tasking to keep the wings level, keep the nose on the horizon and make the right rudder inputs, but by letting me get a feel for each individual it helped make it easier to get the hang of.
He then allowed me to do the majority of the flying from this point onwards, just telling me which ways to turn and what to fly towards, providing advice and tips as needed. As we flew around he took us to some nice sights in the local area and allowed me to get good views of these. All the time during the flight he made sure I was happy and comfortable, which I most definitely was! We then began returning to the field, and during this return my instructor took over for a short while to perform a steeper diving turn and gain speed, this was really enjoyable and we then went into lower level flight over the water running roughly parallel with the beach, it was great to experience flying this low. He then gave me the controls back and allowed me to continue following the beach at this lower level.
We then climbed up to join the circuit as we arrived back at the airfield, he then took the controls back shortly before landing and preformed a nice, smooth landing, I say smooth, smooth considering it's a light aircraft landing on a relatively bumpy grass runway. Once we'd taxied back in I was helped out of the aircraft and given the opportunity to help wipe down the aircraft if I wanted, as a bit of an aircraft enthusiast this offer very much appealed. That done I went back to the main reception area where I was handed a certificate for the flight. This concluded my time with Perry Air.
In conclusion I would say I had an absolutely wonderful and unforgettable experience, and would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in flying!! Honestly, words cannot do justice to how amazing the experience was, and I should say I'd definitely love to go back and fly with them again!

1  Thank thomas1284