See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three days in February. It is a beautifully designed ecolodge with very nice safari tents..very comfortable beds and a bathroom in an attractive tent. The pool is great but the piece de resistance is the food. The owners are French and the husband does the cooking. He formerly owned a restaurant south of Paris. This compound is high in the rural hills overlooking the sea. It is gorgeous to eat your meals overlooking the coastline. The only drawback is the long pot holed road leading up to Villa Belia but it is well worth the drive.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This happy eco lodge was quite a surprise for me and my family, we where looking for a different weekend out of the city. It was raining most of the time, with kids is not a priority to be out in the sun. My 2 y/o kid loved the pool. We paid for a breakfast and dinner package, and it was amazing. The breakfast was weak for the price but is a French petit-dej, but the dinner was worth it. The owners made us feel really comfortable.
Saturday afternoon, with rain, we order massages…they have two bed cabin, and lovely Benita and Rosa, made my day with this extremely good massage. Don't go with out trying it .
And in top of it, the view where marvelous, and for me with the rain was even much better. Be aware of the season you choose to go, I think that summer in the tends are not that comfortable (even thought the beds where!!!!) the heat was coming through the tends as the day got hotter.
enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Am28
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We were a bit sick of the standard beach orientation of everything Dominican, so discovering Villa Belia was a delight. Quiet, beautiful views, clean cool breezes, wonderful food, and incredibly hospitable hosts. Nestled in a valley at the top of a hill at the end of a rather long, dirt road (which we're told will soon be paved), you feel like you're in another world. Everything is very clean and well maintained, partly because its all newly built, but of top quality. Bottom line is you should visit, and you will love it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Although the Dominican Republic is a getaway for Americans like my partner and me, by the end of our week, we needed a little getaway from the DR itself-- or at least driving around its roads. We booked a room at Villa Belia at the very last moment, and Thierry (the proprietor and chef) answered my emails very promptly and courteously-- he even offered to pick us up in Rio San Juan.

When we finally found our way through the little village, Villa Belia blew away our expectations. It was immaculately clean, for one, and beautifully planned. Each "room" is in fact a tent-- complete with a concrete foundation, a beautiful bathroom with indoor plumbing, and a plush queen bed. It was simple but it was more than enough. The sounds of the lowing cows in the morning were an extra bonus.

But let me tell you about the real draw--and in a place where the Caribbean ocean is just a few miles away, this is a feat-- the FOOD. Thierry and Julie were accommodating with my dietary restrictions, first of all, but the presentation, price, and taste of the food were all among the best I've ever had. Delicate polenta cakes topped with braided fresh dorado (aka mahi-mahi, I think) for lunch, or homemade profiteroles for dessert, or fresh-baked baguette with a trio of homemade jellies for breakfast-- I couldn't have asked for more, but eating al fresco atop a ridge from which we could view the ocean came free with every meal!

When we got the final bill, we ended up paying about 250 USD for two nights, four meals, and four glasses of wine. Julie speaks some Spanish and some English-- you can get by if you have a little of each, and you'll be great if you remember a bit of French from high school! Their little family is very charming, too.

Villa Belia surpasses expectations in every way. One word to the wise-- Rio San Juan is going to undergo very significant development in the next few months and few years... so go visit now!

Room Tip: Certain tents have smaller kid-sized tents for the rugrats.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Well, we discovered another incredible hidden place here on the North Coast of the Dominican Republic! If you follow the signs, you might give up! Be patient, it's only about 3-4 km from the main highway, #5. It's a little tough, but well worth the little ride. CAUTION: if you are in a little car with 4 people & 4 clyinders, it probably won't make it up the last 2-300 meters. It's at least a 45 degree hill I think.
Julie & Thierry & their 4 kids are a lovely young family from France.
The accomodations are unique in the Dominican. The property is so tidy & clean, if I still smoked, (quit 4 weeks ago, aaaarrrrggg) I seriously would put the butt in my pocket!!.
The food is just like any 5 star restaurant - absolutely incredible.
Julie (waitress) & Thierry (chef) are a very friendly couple that don't speak English.
That was not a problem, my fiance and her adopted French Hermana took care of that!
The views are fantastic!
A perfect place for a young couple to honeymoon!
In short, I am impressed!
We shall return!
Tom Duncan, Canadian & mostly Dominican now!
Oh, I forgot, there is a secret road, mostly paved, if you can find it!

Room Tip: Tip- Just go there! The tiny resort is brand new, less than 1 year young! Lots of pictures on their website of the resort & surrounding area.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends