See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 June 2016

This is a family run hotel and provides a relaxing and enjoyable stay close to beautiful beaches and vineyards. The rooms are situated in a peaceful spot away from the road and the dinners both nights were delicious. The rooms are comfortable and clean with all that you need. All the family are very kind and welcoming.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2016

Since my last review of L'Arberet, I have stayed here twice more. Nothing has happened to make me change my mind that this hotel is great value. It is clean and comfortable, and the staff are friendly, and the food in the restaurant is absolutely fabulous.

I have eaten in quite a few of the local restaurants, and Restaurant L'Arberet is head and shoulders above all of them. For reasons that don't need explaining, I ate here five times with my brother (who lives in the area) during my seven-night visit. The restaurant does not open on Fridays and Sundays, otherwise it would have been a clean sweep. The hotel was not busy this early in the season, so Chef was able to give us more personal attention and make suggestions for the menu and even offer specials for subsequent nights based on what produce he had sourced. He also offered excellent, reasonably-priced wine suggestions to go with our meals.

I won't repeat what I said in my previous review about the hotel. Please check it for more about the accommodation and facilities.

There are one or two things I would like to see like a small fridge in the room, and aircon (or at least a fan) for the warmer weather. In early April on this trip, aircon was not needed as the weather was not warm, so it was good that the heating in the room did work very well.

L'Arberet is a great place. I will stay here again.

Room tip: Ask about a shower instead of a bath
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2015

The hotel isn't well sign-posted from the town, but apart from that, all was really good.
The rooms set back from the road (as in their photo) are a bit like motel rooms, but good. They were clean, spacious and the bathroom/shower were good.
The breakfast was good but the evening meal was excellent and really good value. The 3 course menu du terroir (which also had a small soup, and there was a small canape with our apperatife) was less than 23 euros and of a really good quality. We stayed for two nights, once we had eaten on the first night we decided to eat again on the second and ate differently for both meals - so not a limited choice.

Room tip: There are rooms in the older building near the road. If offered one, the road isn't busy.
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2015

This was my second stay at L'Arberet. My previous one was about two years ago; this visit did nothing to reduce my opinion of the hotel.

The layout of the hotel is such that the rooms are separated from the main building, which contains the bar and restaurant. A few rooms are just across the patio, where there are tables for drinks or dinner when the weather permits—we ate outside twice out of seven nights, but I'm sure that will rapidly become more frequent as the season progresses. Most of the rooms are a short walk across a side road. There's an area for parking. It can get busy, but I've never seen it too full that I had to park outside. The carpark and paths are composed of that white stony grit that is common in that part of France—be prepared for a little dust.

The gardens are well-kept and there are lots of plants and flowers that interested my two cousins who were travelling with me. There is a swimming pool tucked away somewhere, but I never used it so cannot comment further.

The rooms themselves are a reasonable size. All the rooms I've seen have a double-bed, but it's a good size, and comfortable. The decoration and furnishing is a bit basic, but it does the job. There are bedside tables, a corner space with a shelf and a rail with hangers. There is a "desk shelf" that gives plenty of tabletop area. There's a kettle and some fixings for hot drinks. A small TV is fixed high in one corner. I never switched it on. There is in-room wifi, which is just about adequate. It was OK for email and browsing, but any sizeable files would take a while to download, which was occasionally problematic as the connection went through phases when it dropped frequently. (There is another wifi network in the dining room that is much faster.) There is no aircon, which was fine for this visit, but my previous stay was in late July and the heat was a bit uncomfortable. Also missing is a fridge, which would be my number one suggestion to improve the accommodation.

The bathroom is large, and feels empty the way the fixtures are placed. Mine was set up as a wet room (last time I had a bath) with the shower in one corner and the loo in another; in between is a double washbasin. The floor tiling was a bit off; so water that missed the white shower tiles ran off to the other end of the room where there was no drain. One evening I turned on the shower and stepped back to the main room; the water pressure twisted the shower to shoot water towards the loo. It was a few days before this really dried out (no windows), so I placed the bathmat at the entrance to the bathroom to avoid treading the wet too far. Water pressure is very good and the hot water is VERY hot; so washing the dust off was no trouble.

The bedroom and bathroom were kept very clean, and while the supply of towels was not generous (one medium, one small and the bathmat) they were replaced every day. I'm sure additional towels would have been supplied, if I had requested them.

All things considered, the accommodation offers excellent value for money. There is not much in the way of frills, but what is provided is more than adequate.

Breakfast is about €8 and offers a pastry and a croissant at the table, and your choice of fruit, cheese and ham, hard-boiled eggs, OJ, tea and coffee. Simple, but sufficient and a fair price.

Now we come to dinner. In my view, this is the jewel in the crown for L'Arberet. The food is fantastic. The menu is à la carte with éntrees from about 7-14 euros, and main dishes from about 16-24 euros. The menu changed slightly during our stay and offered a free dessert with a starter and main course. (This might have always been the case, and I had not spotted the message before.) Some of the highlights were soupe de poisson (thick and rich and spicy), wild prawns (warm in some kind of lemony/spicy sauce), escalope de foie (panfried with a raisin bread stick and perfect to add a glass of Sauternes). There were several meat offerings including a cȏte de boeuf for two, an entrecôte and pork t-bone. Most popular among my companions was the mille feuilées de filet de boeuf (two pieces of fillet steak with foie gras in the middle—a repeat order for my companions). There were also three fish options: the hake very good and the local sea-bass. We did not have one bad course the entire week. My standout dish of the entire trip was a starter: Sauté de Chipirons (squid). I am guessing that Chef fried some slices of chorizo to add a little spiciness and then added the squid for not very long. It was the most delicious squid dish that I can ever remember eating. There is quite a good wine list with some very respectable claret, if you've a mind to splurge, and Chef was happy to offer wine suggestions, if asked.

The accommodation at Hȏtel L'Arbaret may be two-star, but the cuisine at Restaurant L'Arbaret most certainly is not.

We found all the staff at L'Arbaret friendly and helpful. Comments about surliness in other reviews are not borne out by our experience.

I and my companions are all more than happy to stay at L'Arbaret again.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank RogerC001
Reviewed 8 June 2015 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights - accommodation was comfortable, clean and quite
The food is the restaurant was all well prepared, tasty and of good value - the chef is a hidden gem
Good location giving access to beaches and vineyards
A short walk takes you into vendays for usual amenties

Date of stay: June 2015