“Thursday Lunch”

Ranked #7 of 21 Restaurants in Topsham
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My husband and I stopped here for lunch - we were early (just after midday) and there was nobody else in the restaurant at that time (it did fill up a bit within half an hour).
We waited about half an hour for our food. The waiting staff were very pleasant.
I had the plaice which was good although a bit on the small side and my husband had the fishcakes - also good but wasn't expecting 4 small bon bon type fishcakes served on a "marble type cheese board"! However it was no trouble when he asked for a plate instead. It was all OK but nothing to be bowled over by. Nice outside eating area if the weather is good.

1  Thank AnnieLB21

Reviewed 29 March 2018

My daughter and I had just 40 minutes for lunch so popped in for a two course fixed price lunch. I had steak frites and cheesecake which was fine for me but might be disappointing if you wanted a decent sized portion. My daughter had a crab mayo baguette which she loved.
Very empty so no atmosphere. Service was friendly and really quick too.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Visited on a Tuesday so, it was quiet. Good service, tasty food. Had mussels as a starter and Halibut for main. Great location.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Let me start with the positives. My rib-eye steak was as good as it gets and my fellow guests were pleased but not bowled over with their dishes. Judging by the positive reviews of this place we must have picked an off night because the service was truly appalling. Barely a welcome, waited 40 minutes for service (the restaurant wasn't overly busy), an hour before the first course arrived and two hours before we had desserts and coffee. Before we were finished they stared moving tables for the filling days service. Meanwhile the background music would have been more fitting to a rave than a restaurant. The young staff were very nice and helpful when we saw them but they appear to have received minimal training and looked somewhat unsure of themselves. Apart from the cooking this place is very amateurish and confusing. On leaving no one said thank you or goodnight and we were left trying to find our own coats. Who is running this place? The following day we had lunch at the Saluation Restuarant in Topsham. Note to manager, please go there and you will see how it should be done!

Karine C, Owner at L'Estuaire Bistro Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Dear rnf565

Thank you for your feeback, good or bad we are always pleased to hear from our customers to progress within the industry.

I would like to apologise for the lack of service you mentioned and the wait.
Your table was booked for 19.30 but you only came in at 20.30pm.
Restaurant do have a system to try to accommodate a number of customers within every hour.
On this night, we were busy and had a table of 8,6, 5, and 4 waiting to be served before you as they turn up in time of their bookings.

I would like to apologise again if no one seems in charge and did not mention anything to you and your party.

I hope to see you again at l’Estuaire

Many thanks
Karine

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Even though the restaurant was not very busy, being a Thursday evening on a fairly cold night, the welcome and ambience were good. We had reserved a table, but infact got to choose - only (half way through our meal) to see a cosy round table complete with tablecloth and trimmings with "reserved" on it, which must have been ours! The waiter was extremely friendly and helpful. The menu was varied and reasonably priced. The portions are quite large, so bear in mind if ordering a starter. My seafood risotto was lovely and creamy, as was the seafood linguine. The men both had belly of pork, which was tasty. All was well until the panne cotte arrived for one of our party. We could all smell a rather unpleasant odour, which on closer inspection turned out to be the shortbread biscuits, which were rancid!! A real let down and disappointment to what was a good evening.