Pavones Yoga Center
Encanta La Vida(Cabo Matapalo)
US$ 249
US$ 124
Priceline
US$ 881
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
El Remanso Lodge(Osa Peninsula)
US$ 670
Travelocity
Iguana Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
US$ 150
Agua Dulce Beach Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$ 78
US$ 383
US$ 360
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
La Purruja Lodge(Golfito)(Great Value!)
US$ 38
La Chosa del Manglar Nature Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$ 45
US$ 44
Hotels.com
All reviewsmagical placea special placeher husbandlife changing experiencethe pacific oceankitchen stafffeeling confidentcosta ricatucked awaytrainingindiraprogramalexbodypracticeclassesstudents
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 March 2016

If you're thinking about heading to PYC, just go! It will be the best decision you make this decade. I was there for the 200 hours yoga teacher training this January. What a magical healing experience! The quality of teaching is very high and the whole course very skilfully curated. The location is incredible. Nestled up a hill on the edge of the jungle, most noise is simply bird song (and howler monkeys). Watch toucans and vultures fly by or little birds fluttering around the speakers during class. Sometimes whales could be seen passing by in the ocean. The accommodation was lovely and comfortable. Troops of monkeys would wander by the windows most days. Every meal I was overwhelmed gratitude for the beautiful, delicious food on offer and as a vegan, I was very well catered for.

The best part is the community that builds of beautiful, thoughtful, funny intelligent, kind souls. I've never felt so well nourished, psychically, mentally and emotionally.

(One more thing, if you're concerned that your yoga practice isn't developed enough to take on the teacher training, DON'T worry. If you can do headstands and crazy arm balances, you will have a ball and if you can't, you won't get any less out of the course).

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank yallypants
PavonesYogaCenter, Owner at Pavones Yoga Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2016

Thank you so much for the incredibly sweet review ... I'm especially grateful for your encouragement to those who may worry that their physical yoga practice isn't "developed enough." I receive so many emails from people voicing this particular concern... sad to think that someone would choose not to attend our yoga teacher training because of this fear. So I'm glad you addressed it :) We look forward to your next visit "home" to Pavones Yoga Center.

Reviewed 9 March 2016

I dont even know where to begin describing the love I have for this incredible place! Pavones Yoga Center is unlike anywhere I've ever been and it is the loving intention of its staff that set it apart. Indira & Alex have truly created an oasis for students/guests to reconnect with the earth, listen to the body and grow in ways you never saw coming! I completed the 200 Hr. Multidimensional Yoga Teacher Training with Indira and her supportive assistant staff (shout out to Jane, Caru, Brady & Stephanie I learned so much from each of you). This training has changed my life and I cannot recommend PYC more highly if you are thinking about taking your first teacher training and want to go full immersion style (DO IT). First of all, the property is absolutely stunning and I was so grateful for the opportunity to live in the jungle, surrounded by the beauty and song of its' various inhabitants. The yoga pavilion is the most gorgeous, sacred space I have ever practiced yoga; incredibly spacious, clean with panoramic views of the Pacific ocean below and the jungle behind. I fell in love with Pavones yoga center and the people there practicing yoga each morning as I gazed upon the ocean while vultures drifted in slow, sweeping circles among the clouds in the sky. My mind, body and soul have never known such peace and I am eternally grateful to Indira for creating this space.
In addition to the incredible atmosphere, the teaching and intention of the multidimensional YTT curriculum went so far above and beyond my expectations (I tried not to have any, but, human...) and encompassed the perfect variety of themes to explore for those in search of a solid foundation in yogic texts/traditions. What I loved about this training was that it wasn't solely about the postures or a specific way of teaching asana, rather, at PYC you are taught to find your own unique expression for teaching the postures, while gaining further insight of how and why the practice was developed based on the ancient texts from which it came.
Perhaps the most unique feature of this training is the eco-psychological factor, which teaches of love, unity and respect for the earth and all of it's creatures; an invaluable lesson for all in this digital day and age of social media and mass materialism. To that end, I appreciate that we were given ample time to simply BE in nature, with ourselves in silence to take in the vibrant energy of the jungle. For me, it felt like the grounds of PYC were constantly buzzing at the frequency of the countless lifeforms residing there. I also found the proximity to the Pacific to be a great comfort and source of joy on a daily basis! Nothing soothes me and rejuvenates me quite like the ocean and I was super grateful for the gorgeous beach in Pavones; a perfect piece of paradise.
Finally, and for many the most exciting part, of the PYC program is the FOOD prepared so thoughtfully by Alex and his gracious companions, Miriam, Juan Carlos and Inez. I'll start by saying the vegetarian aspect of this training is not something I was thrilled about. Curios, sure. Nervous, maybe. Skeptical for certain, but any and all doubts about the quality and deliciousness of the food I'd be eating at PYC were dissolved on Day 1. At home, I eat meat almost every day during at least one of my meals and I was a bit concerned I'd go through some sort of carnivorous withdrawal. However, this did not happen and I never once felt that my body was missing any essential protein or nutrients. I was consistently satiated (understatement) and stunned by my own endurance to practice yoga and get to the beach, sometimes twice a day. THANK YOU ALEX! I could go on and on about each dish and which I loved best, but I'll leave it to you to experience the mind-blowing flavors for yourself. Just know that your tastebuds will be delighted and your body nourished, so if you have any reservations about that, trust me, your in good hands (plus, i witnessed the willingness of the kitchen staff to modify dishes in order to meet the needs of trainees who had certain allergies & needed some extra TLC). I cannot say enough wonderful things about the people, environment and sense of community cultivated at PYC. It has stolen my heart and I cannot wait to visit again.
~ALL LOVE~

Stayed: January 2016
PavonesYogaCenter, Owner at Pavones Yoga Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2016

Wow, we're speechless (Alex and I both). I feel so blessed that you chose PYC as your yoga home and are out there embodying the nature-oriented aspect of the PYC program and sharing your yoga with the world. Thank you Rita... we too cannot wait for you to visit again! -- Indira & Alex

Reviewed 7 March 2016

I could not have hoped for anything more from a yoga teacher training than what I experienced at the PYC 200-hour training. The website clearly describes PYC’s mission stating: “By marrying time-honored yogic techniques with the latest science on mindfulness, physical and neural anatomy, and nutrition, our holistic approach delivers life-long skills to help graduates lead vibrant lives that are aligned with their deepest intentions while honoring the interconnected nature of all living systems.” Yup. This. I can’t say it better than that.

While as a student the range of my experience went from playful, to painful, to uncertain, to frustrating, to joyful, to cerebral, to visceral, and everything in between, the structure and environment helped me to observe all of it with much more curiosity and kindness than I have before. This was only possible through the systematic and intentional way that Indira designed and sequenced every detail of the program. Gosh, it was just so smart, so whole-hearted, and so real.

And then there was the joy of the constant symphony of the jungle and the little moments of magic that couldn’t be orchestrated– like when I found myself writing about Bhramari Pranayama (Bee Breath) and the only bee I saw the whole training came to keep me company. So sweet!

As for the logistics: the open air PYC yoga studio is heaven; the accommodations are lovely and comfortable; the food nourishes the body and soul (seriously, read the other reviews); the teachers are joyful and authentic and the support staff caring and dedicated; the students are eclectic and inspiring; the small town is sleepy and dreamy, and; the (daily if your body allows) trek up and down the hill/mountain to jump in the ocean is conquerable and worth it. I can't recommend PYC more highly.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank kthartyharr
PavonesYogaCenter, Owner at Pavones Yoga Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2016

Wow, Katie, you've left me speechless. Thank you for your whole-hearted and ongoing support of PYC through this review. These have such a huge impact on the health of our small community here in Pavones! I hope to see you again so soon. Enormous Day love, Indira

Reviewed 7 March 2016

The stunning location of the Pavones Yoga Centre is but the tip of the iceberg of the outstanding experience I enjoyed while participating in the 200 hour yoga teacher training program held in February, 2016. The yoga training program is second to none in its professionalism and its multi-dimensional approach to the practice of yoga. The people, including participants, instructors, chef and staff, come together as a community over the course of a month to assure a well-rounded experience in this jungle paradise.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Nora-the-explora

Thank you so much for your kind words and the lovely review. Nora-the-explora: we will await another visit from you in five years when you can claim the title of "oldest-but-youngest-at-heart-graduate-of-PYC" !

Reviewed 1 March 2016 via mobile

Paradoxically, I journeyed miles into the unknown to come home to myself. This is a magical place. Indira is an authentic and kind teacher for the 200 hour yoga teacher training (learning all aspects of yoga: physical emotional mental and spiritual). Alex, her partner, works in the kitchen making delicious meals everyday alongside a dear kitchen staff. Meals made openly in the same place we gather eat and talk; Water comes from the spring up the hill. Amazing views overlooking the ocean. Accommodations are comfortable, beautiful, simple and eco-conscious. Daily yoga studio views overlooking the ocean where Vultures & Hawks soar (so many birds!) Connection with nature is embedded within the training and living. This is a haven from daily life from which to restore and reconnect with the gentle rhythms of nature and practice. Located on top of a hill that gives the majestic views of ocean, jungle and sky; (makes one appreciate the small but relentless "hill" between the center and ocean/town becomes a teacher itself which and some cardio.) The town is charming with markets and restaurants (fresh fish caught that week). The oceans inviting temperature perfect for swimming and natural beautiful beaches. Some of my favorite time was spent in the Rio Clare rivers refreshing waters. (I was thankful to have brought water shoes for comfortable walking in waters w rocks!). This was my first time in Costa Rica and first retreat. Living with intention, connection, contemplation, and community for a month was truly restorative and healing. I am full of gratitude that my path for my yoga teacher training led me here and a welcoming sense of home. This experiential learning will stay with me. Namaste!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
PavonesYogaCenter, Owner at Pavones Yoga Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2016

We too are so grateful that your path led you to Pavones Yoga Center for your yoga teacher program! Each yoga teacher training month is so unique, and yet they all share the elements of community and intentionality that you describe so beautifully in your review. Thank you thank you thank you for your ability to describe so clearly what it is that we hope everyone will experience when they visit PYC. Hope to see you "home" again soon. with love, Indira