Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews fish lake dog sledding harness dogs snow lodge adventure trail huskies winter exertion copper
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We had an amazing experience at Sky High Wilderness, we stayed for 3 days and 4 nights at the Northern Cabin surrounded by the pristine wilderness which was absolutlely stunning! No need to go on a tour to see the Northern lights as it can be viewed from inside your cabin since the window faces North, all you need is good company and maybe an energy drink so you stay up the whole night to watch the sky! The surrounding area has amazing views and the property is right beside the Fish Lake where you can go ice fishing or snow mobiling.

The friendly hosts - Trudy and the crew are very accommodating and hospitable. They have great wildlife stories and stories about the Yukon Quest. Definitely a great time having dinner with them and sharing stories. For a small fee they are able to provide dinner if you request.

We also went dog sledding with the friendly and beautiful Alaskan huskies. You get a first hand experience as you have 1 sled per person. The ride was very enjoyable and the views again are stunning. What an experience it was and will definitely do this one again!

Trudy can also organise day tours for you eg she organised our tour to the Wildlife Preserve and ice fishing on Fish Lake- our tour guide was Joost from Nature Tours of Yukon -info@naturetoursyukon.com - he was very knowledgeable about the area and was a fantastic company and guide. I highly recommend him.

Can also go snow mobiling on Fish Lake and above the hills where you can see the magnificent Whitehorse!

I highly recommend going to Whitehorse and staying at Sky High Wilderness... our experience there is something we will always remember and was one of the highlights of our Canada trip. Although the airfare is quite dear, the time you spend there will be memorable...you will not regret going there. There is soooo much fun things to do and the people are soooo friendly!

Thanks Sky High for a wonderful experience

Theresa and Laurence
from Auckland, New Zealand

Room tip: Northern Cabin - faces north so you dont have to get out in the cold to watch the Northern lights... you can watch it from the comfort of you warm and rustic cabin. Just make sure you stay up the whole night to see the lights!
Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Theresa_Isabel_R
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thanks for the review - it was great to have you with us and we are happy that you enjoyed your adventure! It is our goal to make everyone's adventure happen for them and it is always rewarding to hear that we have succeeded. We hope your travels find you back in our part of the country one day!

Reviewed 20 March 2012

A fantastic place, some of the highlights of the trip (in no particular order) were meeting the dogs, sledding out on the frozen lake, the northern lights, staying at wall tent camp (although sitting on the loo at 2am and having one of the dogs called Gray peer round the wall is a little disconcerting), seeing all the bird life at wall tent camp, hiking over to Jackson lake with 2 elderly dogs at my heels, getting engaged, seeing the finish of the Yukon Quest 2012, the mushers banquet, the views, the calm serenity of being in the mountains, skidooing up Mount MacIntyre, laughing with the Guides, having a good laugh and chat with the hosts. Would I go back? In a heartbeat - I wish it could of lasted longer!!

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. It is always good to hear that we have accomplished our goal of making adventure happen! We would love to have you back, winter or summer!

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I had a full day dog sled tour with Sky High. With them I can have my own dog sled team. The view is just amazing! definitely a life time experience. We crossed the lake, climbed the mountain. Once you reach the top, what you can see makes all the efforts worthwhile. It's exciting, adventurous and breathtaking! See the pictures for yourself!

I'd also like to provide you some comparison between Sky High and Muktuk. While I went on the full day tour with Sky High, my friend went on a half day tour with Muktuk, which is the other company offers dog sled tour. With Muktuk, it's kind of their standard to have 2 people per sled ( according to my friend, there are 6 dogs). So one person sits inside, while the other person drive. With Sky High, it's always one person per sled (I had 5 dogs). That's why with Sky High, you can cover more ground and the experience is just so different. My friend told me with Muktuk's half day tour she was actually on the sled for one hour and half of which she was sitting inside and the other half driving. So I would definitely recommend Sky High to whoever is interested in dog sled tour in Whitehorse.

Date of stay: March 2012
Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank Clocca
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Spent 9 days with Sky High, 8 days on dog sledge, including three days camping away from the lodge and one day on snow machine. Was a wonderful and memorable experience. The lodge is located close to a lake. From there, you see only the mountains and the snow. No wifi, cell phone or electricity (don't forget to load the batteries of you camera)
People there are great.

Strongly recommend you try this as well.

Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thanks for the review! So glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Thanks for the reminder to everyone about our off the grid lifestyle - Sky High is the place to be to get away from all the trappings of the modern world.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Today was a definite highlight of my life and one I will not soon forget. Last week, we booked a pre-season dog sled ride at the Sky High Wilderness and Cabins. We didn't know what to expect, but were in for adventure. As soon as we arrived, someone greeted us and ushered us over to the toasty warm office where we were treated with sandwiches, coffee cake, snacks, coffee and juice. From there we visited with the 150+ dogs on site, harnessed our dogs and went for a brilliant 1.5 hr sled ride. What grabbed my attention was the friendliness, service and experience of the staff. There was 4 of us in the group, all 1st time sledders. One of our group members was not full body, and the staff was very accommodating in helping her become familiar with the sled. Along the trail, one of the owners was always nearby on a snowmobile in case we needed a hand. After arriving back at the dog shed, one of the managers went around with us, introduced us to various dogs and helped us take some group pictures. We ended the day listening to harrowing adventures of the Yukon quest by one of the senior mushers. An all round incredible day, thanks to Sky High!

Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank sparkychuck
Gary B, Owner at Sky High Wilderness Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Thanks so much for allowing us to share your adventure! we were very impressed with your group and the spirit of adventure that you brought to our tour. So glad it was a positive experience for everyone - please come again sometime!!