“Unique Tastes”

Ayden Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ayden Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 693 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went to this restaurant armed with a gift card and the reviews that said the servings were small so we decided to order two snacks, two starters and two meals for two of us. The waitress, Chelsea was great and said we would be stuffed and the plates came one at a time so we could enjoy each one. Plan to order house wine cause the bottles start at $50. The deep fried prawns came first and were done to perfection with a garlic aioli sauce. There were 9 of them and we thought there would be no problem getting through everything until we got the charcuterie board next. It had a nice selection of meats and pickled veges made by the restaurant and was served with a container of toasted baguette crackers. It was very unique. I liked the pastrami style tongue the best. Next came the saute'd mushroom dish that wasn't that big. I didn't like it at first, but after a few bites it really did tickle the pallet and we ate it all up. Then came the scallops. There were three large scallops that were cooked beautifully on a bed of assorted ingredients. Again, not a large dish.
My husband ordered the Diefenbaker fish. The amount of food was quite small. There were a few fillets on a bed of mushrooms & misc. It was not remarkable. I ordered the chicken which was just like Chester Fried. It came with homemade pork/beans, cornbread&butter, jicama & onions with a dipping sauce. There was quite a bit on that wood platter. Yes, we powered through all the food like troopers but we were stuffed.
We had a table off to the side of the open kitchen so we didn't see anything cooked but found that the noise level was acceptable and we could hear each other well.
It's called casual dining and we felt comfortable there in our jeans, but dressing up a little more would fit in well too.
This was a unique restaurant to try for our first time there, but I doubt that we would be back because it is a bit pricey. I would recommend everyone to put it on their bucket list to try this restaurant just because of the unique tastes, local content and great plating.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I was back in Saskatoon for a reunion with some old high school friends. Two of us arrived a bit early before our other party members. The Thai chicken wings were tasteful but a bit small. The mushrooms were decent as well. Our server was friendly enough and attentive, particularly after the other members of our party arrived. Two of us had the Beef, which was not all that terribly inspiring or worth the $45 for the entree size. The restaurant was packed and busy by the time we left mid-evening. Overall, it was reasonably good food but at a price point higher than I felt it deserved.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We went for our anniversary super, maybe I am old fashion but as soon as I looked at the menu I found it very expensive $12 for 5 oz of wine and nothing jumped out at me or my husband as wow this sounds so delicious. We ended up ordering an appetizer which was nothing special. Also we made a reservation and they put us at a small table for two squeezed in between to other tables.

1  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 5 October 2017

Took 5 friends to Ayden for dinner early Oct.

All were very pleased with the cocktails and taste/presentation of the food.

Unfortunately, I found myself apologising for the incredibly s l o w service (an hr to place order for mains as we were waiting for specials) and small portion size (all of us were still hungry after 3 courses).

I was also disappointed with the wine menu - unbalanced in red 'euro' varietals and port.

Will try their sister restaurants before giving Ayden another shot.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We went to Ayden for a birthday celebration and were unimpressed with the service and the quality of the food. The "snack" selections were what you would find in most bars (Thai chicken wings - average, battered shrimp - average, the scallops - good and "Kennebec Fries" - they are just fries - not special at all). My wife and I had a very bland trout that left us both flat. The birthday boy liked the pasta. Two of our guests had the deep fried chicken one of which was not cooked. When we showed it to the waiter he apologized and asked if we wanted it replaced, to which we responded no. He said he would take it off the bill. A short time later another staff member came over to quite aggressively explain to us that because they used non-GMO chicken it was possible to get a blood vessel and that the chicken was cooked. We have eaten chicken before and know the difference between a blood vessel and under cooked chicken. By the way, what the heck does non-GMO have to do with it - we felt like we were being sold a line of non-genetically modified bull feces. He then told us he would have the kitchen fire up a couple more pieces of chicken (which we had previously said no to) and when the bill came, we were charged for both chicken meals (no one ever came back to tell us that it would not be taken off the bill). The original attentive waiter then ducked for cover as he anticipated his tip melting away - by communicating with us he could have salvaged the service portion - but he did not do so - I still gave him 10% (usually leave between 15-20%) and now I kind of regret doing so. I worked fine dining for a number of years and have enjoyed some of the finest restaurants in the world and I must say Ayden is definitely not one of them. We will not be returning.

3  Thank Jeff D