“Great coffee, terrible seating”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Citizen Cafe & bakery
Ranked #2 of 9 Bakeries in Saskatoon
Reviewed 11 June 2017

I've been to the Citizen a few times now and every time the coffee is exquisite and the food is fabulous. The seating is really bad. The main area is one large bench around the outside with tables and chairs facing, and a scatting of small tables and chairs in the centre. When you sit on the bench, you feel like you're in a high chair. The chairs are all those small, horrible metal chairs that numb your butt after ten minutes. Perhaps there is a method to their madness - lack of comfort means no one will stay for too long enjoying the coffee and free wifi? I last about an hour max. Yesterday I had my usual soy latte, and I ordered a breakfast-like panini. The coffee is really great - rich, full, delicious. The sandwiches come with a little bowl of kettle chips which are a nice touch. The panini was really good although it was squished a little bit flatter than I would like. In the past I've had their desserts, many of which of vegan or gluten free. Their vegan chocolate desserts are so yummy. The staff are usually pretty good although I have noticed a wee touch of "I'm doing you a favour" attitude on occasion. I chock it up to the fact that they are almost always super busy and most of them look like they are stressed-out university students. It certainly won't deter me from going there.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

I've been here on separate occasions for coffee, breakfast, and lunch. I love that they have an assortment of non-dairy milks, but the actual coffee beverages are average at best, and undrinkable at worst. This is too bad, as I'm huge fan of their vegan baked goods. And the cherry on top - I've never had a friendly customer service experience here, which completely turns me off. The girls all seem like they loathe you and would rather be anywhere else. I get it - I'm not a morning person either - but you could at least make a slight effort.

Reviewed 29 April 2017

One of the best cafe's in the city, offering great coffee and tea options, and delicious sandwiches and baking.

Reviewed 25 April 2017

I only stop in here when I am in town soon after they open. That way I have a good chance of buying one or two of their freshly baked muffins or biscuits. If I'm late they will likely be sold out, they go that fast.

Coffee and a muffin and I'm good to go. Their baked goods are so much better than big chain offerings.

Not a showy location, understated but delivers the goods every time. Very limited parking and limited hours but nice place on all counts.

Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

This place is in an extremely odd location but I was very surprised by it. The decor and atmosphere was inviting. The service was great. The selection of drinks and baking was amazing. I had a salted caramel latte with a chocolate chip pecan cookie and it did not disappoint!!