“Worst Desk Service”

Hotel Senator Saskatoon
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My boyfriend and I came to saskatoon for his work course and his company was to book him a room here for two nights. We finally got to the city (we drove from Weyburn) around 1130pm, tired and wanting to just get some sleep as we both have to be up early in the morning. The staff we initially dealt with named Vicki I believe, was extremely rude and chewing her gum like a cow chewing cud. She was not helpful at all in finding the reservation and was dismissive when I asked if there was a washroom that I could use. Saying there was only one in the bar and walked away before she finished even responding. We then drove to the Sheraton just around the block asking if there was anyway they could help us find a possible reservation. They were awesome and very helpful phoning around for us. When they couldn't find anything we returned to the Senator as the lady we dealt with previously had finished her shift. The gentleman we dealt with then was less helpful than the woman and even more rude. Refusing to let us use a phone to call my boyfriends family so we had a place to stay for the night so we can call his work in the morning and figure it out. Since my cell was dead we figured we could just plug it in in the lobby so we could call around and the desk agent then proceeded to tell us that wasn't allowed and that we were stealing power from the hotel and that we needed to leave. When we said we were just making a phone call and would be out in a minute or so he threatened to call the police on us. I was extremely disappointed and angry at the service we received. It was extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. I work in the industry myself I understand it can be frustrating dealing with upset guests, however, we went in just asking if he could help us out in finding the reservation and he wouldn't even give my boyfriend a chance in giving names it could be under. He would start a name and the front desk would say no before he even got a chance to finish the name. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone at anytime. Not even if they were leaving the bar next door, extremely intoxicated, and needed a place to stay. This is completely unacceptable for staff to treat potential guests with such disrespect. I will be sending an email to the manager as well with a formal complaint to the service we received.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank KZahara
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

This group was not a great one to deal with. They assaulted my night auditor (threw a glass at his head, we have it on video). I have polled our staff on this incident, and my front desk agent recalls this much differently. These people came in at a time when the city was full. They couldn't remember reservation name (fishing to get a name and get a room under someone else's name does happen in the industry). They were quite rude and forward with our front desk agent. We don't have lobby washrooms so thats why this lady was referred into our pub for washrooms. As they came back from the Sheraton, they were standing at the front as were upset they couldn't get a room. As stated my front desk auditor did go and ask them to not charge there phone at the front entrance of the hotel. Bit of a judgement call there as we are in the hospitality industry and try to accommodate people whenever we can, we can't let someone who isn't a hotel guest (and they didn't endear themselves to my staff) charge phones at our front entrance. My night auditor was quite upset at the glass being thrown at him as well. I do understand it is frustrating when the city is full and there are no rooms to be had but staff should not be subjected to be being berated for it.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Calling itself a boutique hotel is a little bit misleading, but when the renovations are done, it will likely be one of Saskatoon's more unique hotel experiences.

I have to say the place was impeccably clean. It was obviously built a long time ago and retains all of those original features, but everything was clean and in good working order. There is a slight musty smell in the elevator and in one of the stairwells.

We didn't mind that the second floor renovations aren't quite done and the upstairs hallway looks a bit like a war zone. Its not the end of the world, its just the hallway. The room wasn't in the same state. However, the website says the renovations will be done by the end of March. They clearly aren't. I couldn't help but think it would be more professional of the hotel to make sure their guests know. It would shock many people.

One thing that was quite strange and felt like a huge deficit in hospitality, was that we had to call down to the front desk at 1 am because there was no heat in our room. Fearing it was part of the construction, we were told that oops sorry, the boiler wasn't on. It was a cool night in mid-April, you wouldn't expect to have to ask the hotel to turn on its boiler at 1 am so you can have heat in your room. Did no one else have heat either?? They did turn it on right away but it felt like a bizarre incident one would expect more from a motel than a historical downtown hotel that is aiming for a more classier level.

We enjoyed a nightcap in Winstons pub downstairs. Lively, good beer selection. It didn't really bother us, but a heads up that Friday night crowds/Winston's smoking section can be heard loud and clear, almost word for word in the rooms. At least ours.

Its clear that the hotel is putting great effort and likely expense into updating the rooms and the building. The rooms would benefit from having an overhead light. Two lamps are not quite enough to light the room, even though it is small.

The Senator is clearly aiming for a hotel experience that brings a bit of stateliness, a bit of history, but without all the frills of the Bessborough. They are almost there, but not quite yet. That being said I look forward to coming back once the renovations are done. The location is great, metered parking is mostly available, and its something a bit different from the usual chains.

Room Tip: Second floor still under construction as of April 20/12. Try for first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank poutine_colleen

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us at the Hotel Senator. We are just finishing our renovations on the second floor (one week to go!) and our new state of the art heat/cool system for the hotel will be done (as well as new 10ft ceiling height in the rooms). Our old boiler system unfortunately was heating the second floor in the conversion and the new night auditor didn't turn it on for you. My apologies and we hope to see you soon, safe travels!

Reviewed 11 March 2012

We were really impressed with the renovations they are doing at the Senator but it looked like a war zone, on our way to our room with no ceiling in the hallway with wires hanging. Also, because the ceiling was not finished, the light from the hallway shone through vents in our room, keeping us up. The location is excellent and the pub on the main floor is great. Still, we moved after two nights just to get some better quality sleep. Just make sure that their renos are finished before booking.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bridlewood
Reviewed 8 March 2012

i was really hesitant about staying at this hotel, but it was the only hotel available for the night we were staying in saskatoon, and unfortunately i am proven right about it

cons:
-the receptionist was really weird, it isn't so much that she was overtly rude, but i've got the feeling that she didn't like us very much, and she speaks in a very quiet voice that i can barely hear what she's saying
-when we asked about parking, she said in a very very quiet voice that there is a parking lot but it's basically full. i think it's unacceptable these days to have no parking for your paying guests. luckily we arrived at 5.30pm and the roadside parking is free from 6pm till 9.30am, and we weren't going to stay past that time in the morning anyway
-the hotel is in continuous constant renovation by the looks of it, we were in second floor and the hallway was dark, wiring showing everywhere, renovation equipment everywhere, there were two boxes of martha stewart's sink cabinets, which unfortunately wasn't installed in our own bathroom
- instead we got a really old bathroom with old plumbing and dodgy paint
- our room is supposedly already renovated, but the decor is really quite crap still, to be honest, the room's quite small, the door is banged up and cannot be locked!
- i'm also really sensitive about dust and smells, the 5 minutes i was in my room, my throat started to itch and hurt. it smells musty & dusty. actually it starts to smell dusty as soon as I entered the elevator from the lobby

pros:
- bedding was clean, so at least i can sleep
- wifi, which is standard for hotels these days anyway
- close to shops & restaurants as it is in downtown saskatoon

i don't think they should mislead by saying that they're a boutique hotel. to me that's totally misleading. especially with the photos of the rooms shown on their website, saying that they are already renovated, etc.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cdbunny
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Well, I am quite dismayed that you had such a terrible experience. As we were the last resort for you I'm glad you had a place to stay. As we state when checking in, we are under our last phase of renovating on the second floor for a state of the art heating and air conditioning environmentally green system. We have continually invested in our property and are on our last phase of renovations which will be done in 4 weeks. We offer discounts for stays on the second floor (rooms in a city thats full the price is under a 100 dollars). As you stated, you were on the second floor which all rooms that are in service have been freshly painted and ceiling raised 10 feet from 8 feet. The hallways are in a renovated state, not much we can do about that but make guests aware of it before they check in. There also was also plenty of parking for free on the Wed that you stayed but we had scheduled snow removal (as we got 10 inches of snow) from 7-9pm that night. As for the Boutique Hotel billing, we do consider ourselves a boutique hotel which we are a unique property with different size rooms and a very european feel and not like a cookie cut hotel experience. I wish you pleasant travels in the future and hope you find happiness at your next stay.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I attended a large conference in Saskatoon this week. Initially had the Delta Bessborough booked but since I couldn't get a flight out on Thursday due to the limited # available cancelled one night. Ended up getting a flight out Thursday but of course the room at the Delta was grabbed. I went on Tripadvisor, searched for availability and the Hotel Senator came up. Not only is this hotel closer to TCU Place, it is a gem! We are in room 218, which is a jacuzzi suite. It has a king bed in a nice sized bedroom, a small living room, full bath with the best water pressure I have seen in a shower in a long time, and a separate jacuzzi room. There are flat screen TV's in the bedroom and living room. Great towels, nice amenities and fluffy robes. Free wireless internet. Spotlessly clean, friendly staff and a very good restaurant (open 5 - 9), a wine bar with an excellent selection and a really good pub (I think they have over 40 beers on their list). The second floor is currently being renovated but it was not disruptive at all as the work stops before 5 pm. If you stay here before the renos are done be prepared for the hallway renos .. lots of wiring being replaced and the only lighting is quaint lamps on antique tables. The history and character of this hotel make it very appealing. Plus it is close to shopping and services. A cab to TCU Place is about $5.50 but it is also an easy walk. I'd definitely stay here again. Can't wait to see it when the renos are done.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is room service. The character of both the fine dining restaurant and the pub mad...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review, really appreciate it. We have put a lot of work into the hotel and major renovations are almost complete. We are constantly trying to improve our guest experience. Cheers and safe travels.