B&B Au Petit Roi
Hilton Quebec(Quebec City)
US$ 236
US$ 205
  • Restaurant
Auberge Place D'Armes(Quebec City)
US$ 201
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Sepia(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
US$ 161
US$ 148
Le Champlain Hotel(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
US$ 204
US$ 235
US$ 217
  • Pool
Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
US$ 130
US$ 606
US$ 342
HotelsClick
  • Restaurant
All reviewscrepesfirst floorminute walkyogurtold cityprivate bathroomother guestsfridge and microwaveenjoyed our staywalking distancea great stayhostsfrenchradiatorparkingcouchcharm
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We just returned from two nights at the charming Au Petit Roi, and were very happy with our experience. We stayed in the Royal Suite, which was comfortable and full of character. It was exactly as pictured in the photos on their website. The en suite bathroom was spacious and clean (as was the entire suite) and the bed was firm yet comfortable.

The B&B is perfectly located, just a short walk from Vieux Quebec. Close enough to walk anywhere you want to go within a few minutes, yet far enough away to be a peaceful respite after a day of walking and touring. There are tons of restaurants and interesting shops just a block away on Rue St. Jean.

The breakfasts were probably our least favorite part of our stay. No crepes or french toast while we were there, just very simple eggs with breads. The yogurt, fruit, and juice were delicious, though.

In all, a great value in a wonderful location!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Roxci623
Reviewed 22 September 2011

First off -The day before I left I sent a confirmation email confirming our arrival and received no reponse. When we got there, my husband and I stood at the front door for 3 minutes after ringing the bell wondering if any one was home - anddiscussing where else we could find a place with no notice. Finally, the hostess arrives -says very little-I asked if she got the email and she said yes and shows us to our room - Very quaint! But the bathroom door and trim were black with months of hand prints and the toilet smelled of old urine. Another guest had complained to me of lack of clean towels and bed not made each day. While I was brushing my teeth I noticed the sink had a crack all the way up to the top and the figurines on the counter were both broken.The breakfast was vegetarian all three days( my husband was not happy about this) and was exactly the same day one and day three out of our 3 day stay . No Imagination! and terrible coffee! However the location was good and it was quiet . although our host was very pleasant when we spoke to him -No helpful hints or suggestions as other reviewwers had mentioned - perhaps that was the old owner. They are cash only (still charge you the taxes and don't give receipts unless you ask).This has not soured me on B&B's but I now know what I Don't want !

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marie77777_11
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I joined my husband who was at a conference that happened to be scheduled at the same time of the Quebec City summer festival. We stayed at Au Petit Roi and had an amazing time in Quebec. The hosts were so kind, friendly, great hospitality, and gave great advice about restaurants and things to do in the area. One block from the B&B is Rue St. Jean which is filled with restaurants, cafes, grocery store, ice cream/gelato shops and takes you to all of the Old (Vieux) Quebec sites. We had a car but didn’t use it the entire time. We just paid for parking which was only $5 per day. In terms of the B&B itself, breakfast was included and consisted of crepes, French toast, or eggs along with bread, fruit and yogurt, tea/coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice every morning. On our last night they cooked a delicious homemade Moroccan meal (which was much better than the restaurant we went to on our first night). The rooms are clean, inviting, and the location is unbeatable. We stayed in a suite on the first floor with private bath, living room area, and dining table that we only used the night we had the Moroccan couscous. The rooms also have a fridge and microwave. We travel frequently and never write reviews but we definitely love this B&B and we can't wait to come back to Quebec.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank mcnmluv2travel
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My friend and I stayed for four nights. We had a shared bath and room in the back of the house on the third floor. The bed was very comfortable and the room was always nice and clean. The bath was always available when we needed it and the shower had lots of hot water and good pressure. The host was informative and very welcoming (in both French and English). The Breakfasts were amazing starting with yogurt and fruit with fresh squeezed juice and followed by eggs and bacon or crepes, with bagels and toast etc. There is also a shared fridge and microwave and toaster in case you want to eat something you found at the local shops. The B&B is a perfect location near lots of restaurants and shops that are used by more locals and a very short walk to the old city, and in the opposite direction to the museum and the plains of abraham. Its also very convenient to the free Cirque du Soleil. I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lauren G
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We really loved this b&b. We had the downstairs bedroom with the private bath. It was clean, spacious (living area next to the bedroom area) and quiet. The room included a coffee maker, fridge, small table, microwave, cups, saucers, wine glasses, and a remote controlled air conditioner in the bedroom area. Oh, and a small wide screen television. Kajima (I hope I spelled her name correctly) was delightful (she runs the place) and her husband Kalid (I hope I spelled his name correctly) was engaging as well. There are three or four other bedrooms upstairs, though we never saw them. The occupants, though, seemed happy when we met them at breakfast (Maine (tourists), San Francisco and Germany (in Quebec City for a scientific conference on brain mapping).

We parked the car ($5.00 an day) in the driveway and only moved it once when we went to see a waterfall north of Quebec.

The Location:
We found the location great. Down the hill to Rue St. Jean and turn right. A 10 minute walk takes you into the old city (Vieux Quebec) walls where everything happens; restaurants aplenty, street entertainers, shops, public art, buzz, etc.

The b&b is on the side of a very steep hill. Walking down is easy. Walking up? Well, let's say my wife and I were glad we are gym regulars! But if you leave the Roi and walk up a block, there is a flatter way around to the walled city, but it's less interesting. On St. Jean, we found convenience stores, a grocery, beer and wine shops, art galleries, nick-knack stores, restaurants, etc.

The Breakfast
It was tasty, though limited. Every breakfast started with a bowl of homemade yogurt with fruit. Additions, from day to day, were unstuffed crepes with chocolate drops on top (the only sweet topping is honey), a kind of French toast thing with apple chutney, and a fried egg on toast. There is no breakfast meat. The coffee is, thankfully, strong; no doubt a tribute to the owner's Moroccan heritage. There is also a lot of bread available. The breakfasts are fine and tasty (though my wife isn't a yogurt fan).

The Owners
Very nice and they'd do about anything for you.

This b&b was a very fair price for the value and when we get back to Quebec City, we'll plan far enough ahead of time to make sure we get the same room at the same place. Twas much better than a hotel room and it kind of felt like a home-away-from-home.

Room Tip: Call, e-mail, and plan ahead.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple