“Warm hospitality, small rooms”
Review of B&B l'Abat-Jour

B&B l'Abat-Jour
Ranked #96 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Our family of three stayed here for three nights in a relatively small room. The hosts were gracious, even though I could've done without the political commentaries. A big downside is their supposed non-acceptance of credit cards. They did take mine, after the host drove me around in his cab to three ATMs to withdraw cash without success.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank onbalance

Reviewed 31 July 2009

My wife and I and our daughters (13 and 10 years) spent six nights at L'abat-jour and enjoyed our stay a great deal. My only regret is that we didn't stay a seventh night to see whether they would serve us yet another unique breakfast! Each morning, it was something different, and delicious--pancakes, omelets, French toast; warm bread with homemade jam, and more.

Our host and hostess, Ahmed and Salouha, were a delight to meet, full of suggestions for things to see. They endured the fractured French that I used as often as I could, even though we could have done just as well in English. I looked forward each evening to a warm welcome home.

We had looked for a B&B in the old city, so I was initially worried that L'abat-jour's location would be inconvienient. But the #800 bus stop is just 2 minutes' walk away, and it brought us to the Gare du Palais in the eastern part of the lower city in 10 minutes. We had dinner the first night at the local Italian restaurant just across from the bus stop, but getting back and forth was so easy that we had no qualms about staying late for dinner in the old city. L'abat-jour is in a quiet street (the construction that another reviewer mentioned must be finished), easy to reach from the east, maybe 15 minues from the Montmorency Falls.

We stayed in a two-room suite--a bedroom plus a dining room/kitchen--that suited us well. There was enough room, and enough kitchen equipment, for us to cook dinner, which we did about half the time.

If we find a way to return to Quebec, L'abat-jour will be at the top of our list.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank AstroSilverSpring
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I found the Abat-jour B&B by accident. A friend and I traveled to Québec in May of 2008 and our planned hotel fell through. We were referred to Abat-jour by someone working at a Tourist Center. Our experience that first time with hosts Ahmed and Salouha el-Ghandouri was so wonderful and so positive that I have since come to believe that it was fate that directed us there.

I decided for my 40th birthday that I wanted to return to Québec for a weekend, this time with my wife and four children ages 10 to 14. We stayed again at Abat-jour, this time in their two-room suite which includes a kitchenette.

Ahmed and Salouha are the consummate hosts. Ahmed told me (in English as much as he could, in French where he needed to fill in the blanks) that the two of them began this "new life" after all of their own children had grown and gone. They run such a wonderful establishment, serve such a wonderful breakfast, go so far out of their ways to accommodate their guests in all things, that it is hard to believe they have not been innkeepers their entire lives.

My family arrived mid-afternoon and they were there to enthusiastically greet us-- genuinely pleased to see me again after my first visit there in the spring. They showed us to our room and immediately offered afternoon coffee and tea for my wife and me, and brought hot chocolate for the kids. Served on a silver tray in nice china, the hot drinks came with shortbread cookies, homemade by Salouha. We cooked our dinner in the room that night, a huge cost savings to a family of six out travelling.

My wife's first comment on the room was, "this is so cute!" and after poking around a bit, her next was "this is SO clean!!" The room wasn't huge but was plenty for our needs.

Breakfast at Abat-jour is one of the high points, after the hospitality of its hosts. Nearly everything on the table--including the strawberry jam-- was made from scratch. With coffee, tea and more hot chocolate, we were started with an absolutely amazing fruit smoothie-type drink. Next came Salouha's homemade sesame bagels with jam and butter. Then came homemade crêpes, with five or six different spreads to enjoy them with. The second day breakfast featured homemade yogurt, a delicious omelette with fresh tomatoes and an exotic but savory batch of breakfast rolls, still warm from the oven. A far better spread than we could have found in a restaurant locally-- and included in the cost of the stay?!? Hard to believe.

Friendly conversation around the table with other guests--there are always guests there, it seems-- was another pleasant aspect to the experience. Some were from Montréal, some from the states, some from even further afield, traveling on a mix of business or pleasure. Those I spoke to on both my first and second trips had all stayed at Abat-jour at least twice before.

Saturday night we explored the Old City and got hopelessly lost on our way back. We called Ahmet and he guided us expertly back to the Abat-jour (it turns out that at one point in his life, he was a cabbie in Québec; who better to give directions??). Never have I been so happy to see lights on in the windows... to walk in to a warm greeting from our hosts... to be received by a warm room with all the beds made, turned down and ready to receive my family. For the three days we were in Canada, Abat-jour was home for certain.

Abat-jour is a hidden jewel-- modest in presentation but clean, comfortable, homey and friendly to the greatest degree. It is located literally ten minutes from the Old City-- an easy drive in. It is no more than that from Abat-jour to Montmorency Falls, another must-see.

We are already making plans to return, hopefully this spring. This is a wonderful B&B, which I would recommend to anyone. It is nice to have friends in Québec!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We went to Quebec city for our 20th anniversary. It was the 400 anniversary celebration for the province. We were warmly welcomed by Ahmed and his wife. Spoke english and was able to communicate effectively. Found that Abat Jour was easy acess to Old Quebe, 1/2 block from bus line and a bike trail several blocks away which both led directly into the city. We enjoyed ridding our bikes to town which allowed us to navagate in this expansive area . Neighborhood at B & B was safe and close to local restaurants and groceries in which we took advantage (especially natural food store-organic or french terminology =biologique). Small refrigerator was available to use. They were very helpful with directions and information. Took more time than most would be patient. Home made breakfast and dietary requests accomodated. Was a clean establishment. Only drawbacks were to share hallway bath but no problems with that, and no tv in our room, but we were to busy to miss it all that much. Were able to come in late with key to house. Value high with reasonable rates at the time of year and free parking available. Morning conversation with other guests was very delightful and interesting. Would definitely return and recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 22 October 2008

A very welcoming atmosphere with a friendly and helpful host who served an extremely tasty breakfast which was a different one every morning. Thank you! We enjoyed our stay! :-)

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)