“Other then the location, nothing special”
Review of Le Champlain Hotel

Le Champlain Hotel
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Toronto, Canada
“Other then the location, nothing special”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at Hotel Champlain for two night as part of our month-long honeymoon. It is a decent hotel but not one I would recommend for a honeymoon.
There was a problem with our reservation upon arrival and it was not until we asked to speak to the manager that the problem was finally resolved. We found the staff polite but unfriendly. The room was very basic and not luxurious in anyway. The breakfast was basic. The location is the best thing the hotel has going for it as it is right in old town and and a close walk to everything. As I said there is nothing 'wrong' with this hotel, there is just nothing that makes it memorable or makes me want to return.

Room Tip: Pay extra money to have a view instead of staring at a brick wall.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Alexandre B, Guest Relations Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Bonjour.

Thank you for your comment. I'm sad to see that you didn't have a great stay with us.

As you said in the last lines, our standard room doesn't have a specific view and it's more a good room for people who just want to sleep and visit the city. Sometimes, when we have availabilities, we can make some upgrades for better rooms. Unfortunately, in July it's the high season in Quebec city. At that moment it's hard to make upgrades. For a next stay, if you prefer a more luxurious room, I will suggest to reserve a Junior Suite Room, with a king, bed, sitting area, fireplace and whirlpool in the room.

For the location, it's true that we have a big advantage. Everything is about five minutes walk.

I'm very sorry for the problem that you had in our hotel and feel free to contact us if you want to give us some constructive suggestion. We really want to improve our service.

Alexander
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Great location and friendly service. Rooms are spacious, clean, and quiet. Breakfast is plentiful with a nice variety. Would definitely stay here again. This is the end of our vacation and it is nice to spend it her at the Le Champlain Hotel.

Room Tip: You can take a dog here! Let them know!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Bonjour,

Thank you very much for your comment, it's appreciated.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the stay in our hotel. It's true that the rooms are more spacious than other places. We want that our guest feel comfortable.

For the breakfast, we try to make a rotation in our breakfast menu to have some variety. Like this, when you stay for a long time in the hotel, people can have something different.

Our goal, it's to make you feel at home. We look forward to welcoming you back.

San Diego CA
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We spent 3 days at Le Champlain earlier this month. The location was excellent and the room was very spacious- two queen size beds and room for a rollaway. Plus, there was a curtain to divide the room if desired, and a fireplace (which must be nice in winter but was definitely not needed in August). We enjoyed it very much. The staff were multilingual and very nice and helpful. Sadly the complimentary coffee/espresso machine seemed to be out of order about half the time- partly due to guests pushing buttons at random, I suspect (based on observation)! But it was a nice touch and I enjoyed several cups of tea.
The only aspect that I think could use improvement is the breakfasts. I can get sliced sandwich bread anywhere- so locally baked baguettes and croissants would have been very welcome. I was quite surprised not to see either of those. The raisin bread and watermelon were very good, but everything else was only fair.
Overall it was a very good accommodation, and could be excellent without too much more work.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Bonjour,

I want to thank you for your comment about our hotel. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the stay with us. You had a really good room (Suite room with two queen beds) which is very spacious and comfortable.

It's true that we have a really good espresso machine. Unfortunately, sometimes it may happen that the espresso machine is out-of-order. But we do everything to get it fixed as soon as possible.

The staff likes to welcome people in the hotel and they try to satisfy everyone as they can. They speak English and some are able to speak other languages.

For the breakfast, we considered your suggestion. Now, some days we have some croissants in our menu. We try to have a rotation of the daily menu to have something different for the people who stay for a few days. We try to improve it and all the suggestions are welcome.

I want to thank you again for your comments, it's truly appreciated. We hope to see you back in our establishment.

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Staying in Old Quebec is expensive - but I think worth it. This hotel is a moderate level hotel - it is is not a luxury hotel, but it is also not a poor hotel. The shared areas of the hotel (lobby, stairs, elevator) etc were clean and well maintained. The staff were professional and friendly. We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms in the hotel - yes you do look out onto a brick wall about a metre away, but that is not a surprise - for more money you could have a room with a better view. Inside the room was clean and of a decent size - the bathroom itself was very small though. The aircon worked well and we were comfortable in the room - I am sure being Quebec City the heating is very good too.
I have read on tripadvisor that the breakfast is 'barely passable' - I think that is written by someone who had too high expectations - the breakfast is satisfactory and I did notice that they had different items on the two days we stayed there. It wasn't the best breakfast that I have ever had, but it is not the worst either. The coffee maker which is in the lobby is pretty awesome - other people have said this and I think it is pretty correct. Since my stay I have been buying mocchacinos to try and recreate the moment - hasn't happened yet:)
Location wise it is good - but I think anywhere in the old city is good in that respect. Overall I would stay there again and I would recommend it to people going to Old Quebec - but remember it is not a luxury hotel. Actually the nice thing about this hotel is that like many of the hotels there i am sure - you get the feeling of staying in a small European hotel but without many of the inconveniences (small spaces etc). Also should note that hotel was quiet and I got excellent sleep there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Msgeocat
Alexandre B, Guest Relations Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you very much for your review, I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always try to satisfy our guests and when we receive reviews like yours, we feel that we have done our job well. It’s true, we are not a luxury hotel, but we strive to offer comfort, quality and cleanliness.

Thank you again for your comments, it is really appreciated. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next stay.

Portland, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 August 2012

You absolutely couldn't find a better location to visit Old Quebec City. It is on a quiet street but is 1/2 block from plenty of action. It is inside the walls of the old city - you are surrounded by history. We were greeted by very friendly staff and learned that we had been upgraded to a suite at no extra charge. The room was superb - very large, with small fireplace, large sitting area, DVD player and an awesome jacuzzi tub. The bathroom was small, but the shower was excellent. There was complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the lobby at all times. The only things I would complain about is the bed was pretty uncomfortable and breakfast was just barely passable. Also, we were quoted one parking rate, but was told the lot was full so we paid a slightly higher rate for valet parking. However, the rate was still less than I would expect to pay in the middle of a historic district. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and recommend it to others.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Alexandre B, Guest Relations Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you very much for your comments. We like to read the review of our guest and know that they enjoyed the experience in our hotel.

It’s true; at the Hotel Champlain you are located in the heart of the Old Quebec city. All the attractions, restaurants and shops are pretty close. I’m happy to know that you received a free upgrade. When it’s possible, we always try to make some little gift like this. It’s always a pleasure for us to welcome people in our establishment.

I’m really sorry that you found the bed uncomfortable. For a next stay, don’t hesitate to ask for a feather pillow tops, we have some available on request to make the mattress greatest for you. Also for the breakfast, you can contact us to tell us know how to make it better. We want to improve our service; we are always open to constructive comments. It’s true that we have a little parking place; it’s for that reason that we recommend to reserve it in advance. During the summer time; we decided to offer a valet service parking when our lot is full. The rate is different because we have to rent other parking place. The advantage it’s you don’t have to think about your car, we take it in charge.

We hope forward to see you again in our hotel. Like I said, we are always open to constructive comments. Like this, at your next visit at the Hotel Champlain, we will make your stay better.