“Good Value”
Review of Le Champlain Hotel

Le Champlain Hotel
Ranked #16 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 29 April 2012

On our very first visit to Quebec City we stayed 3 nights at the Champlain Vieux. The place is rated at 3-stars and that is reasonable. The location is great, very close to all the action in the old town. Parking is tight, and needs to be RSVP’d ahead of time, costs $19 per night including tax.

At check-in the receptionist was a bit rough around the edges and had a bit of an attitude. The place was super clean and the room was a very good size. The bathroom was big and very clean.

The hotel was quiet and bed very comfortable. Breakfast was included for us. It was a basic breakfast (one type of cereal, vanilla yougurt, scrambled eggs, beans, 2 types of cheese,
peanut butter/jam, and 5-6 types of bread, tea/coffee/orange juice).

This 3-star hotel is of very good value. Good location, quiet, & clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hammer85
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments! Please make sure that customer service is really important for us... It's why we will do a follow-up with our front desk staff regarding your comments.

Of couse, we never like to hear that our front desk staff is rude. It's why I feel really concerned about it.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Marc-André

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

"Welcome back Mr & Mrs Lapadula, it's very nice to see you again"...well, what else can I say with a greeting like this from Michelle, Isabelle, Mark, Claude from the owner and staff....WOW!!

The breakfast was delicious, as usual, and what should be hot was...and cold was cold. This is a big thanks to Claude and his staff.....Merci.....

The lobby was impeccable clean as was our room. We are very pleased with the quality of service and a very proud staff member who will help you in any way they can...Merci

We will see you again in Dec and again, thank you for making our stay relaxing and enjoyable

R&V Lapadula USA

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice....
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Mrs. Lapadula!!!

Thank you for your loyalty, it's always good to see you back at the Champlain. We look forward to see again in December!

All the employees remember your name and they are all excited when they know you are coming back.

Your husband and are two real sweethearts, you are now part of the family!

I will say hi from you to everybody, they will be more than happy to have news from you!

À bientôt,

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Our first impression was very positive. We had a reservation for a Superior Room view on the city for four days. We arrive at night, and during the check-in process the person of the front desk told us that due to a lack of rooms, they assign a Junior Suite for us at no additional charge (two levels up). That room was really nice and comfortable, with a king bed, a leaving room area with a nice sofa, a big LCD, fireplace, a small refrigerator and an incredible jacuzzi inside the room. The bathroom was nice and very modern.

Like a ping pong of sensations, after that very nice free upgrade, we noticed at the first use that the toilet was blocked, not very good when you arrive after a six hour drive at night. The people of the front desk rapidly solved the problem but the problem existed at the moment of our arrival.

On the next morning, we noticed that the unique elevator did not worked. OK, stairs for two floors. The very big news was that we never had the possibility to enjoy the service of that elevator during our entire stay, i.e. three days without elevator (including our check-out with our baggage). Nobody or any signal indicated when that circumstance would be solved.

This is the best. We parked our car in the parking of the hotel (for an additional CAD 19 per day). As the rules of the hotel says, the check-out has to be at 11.00AM. We checked-out at 11.00AM. We put our luggage in our car. When I tryied to exit the parking, a group of workers were loading big pipes on a truck, that was obstructing the exit. I kindly asked to move the truck because I had to leave. One of the guys, french speaker, told me something, I excuse myself because I do not speak french. In a couple of minutes a person of the front desk came to me saying (kindly) that they need at least half an hour. I insisted saying that I had to leave immediately because I had to be in Montreal at certain time. Not saying anything and showing her dissatisfaction, ordered the workers to move the truck. Is interesting to say that other two cars were in the same situation.

Objectively, the hotel is excellently located in the middle of the Upper Town of the Old Quebec, at walking distance of everything. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast, very well served in a comfortable and nicely decorated room. As all the other people pointed out through Tripadvisor, there is an excellent expresso machine close to the front desk, available at any time. The crockery is perfect in the breakfast and for your expressos. The rate is very reasonable.

Finally, in the ground floor there is an ice machine and a microwave oven, perfect for your meal, of course allways if you are lucky with the elevator….

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SM-Travellers
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Bonjour,

Thank you for your review. As I can see, you were here when we had trouble with our elevator... This is a very rare situation and you were here when it happened. We apologize about this inconvenience.

This is why you've been upgraded, to avoid you to climb to many floors while the elevator was down. You were on the second floor, which was not so bad to reach by the staircase.

I'm sorry about the fact that nobody told us about the return in service of the elevator... it was just because we didn't know ourselves! Nobody expects an elevator to be suddenly down... We did the maximum to put it back in service as soon as possible! We put some extra employees on the schedule to help people with the luggage to compensate for the inconvenience... They were there to help you!

Regarding the truck blocking the entrance parking lot, I agree with you... This is unacceptable and I will make sure that kind of situation won't happened again. We always learn through our mistakes! I'm hoping that the disatisfaction of our employee was about the truck, not about you. I'll do the follow-up on that situation to understand what exactly happened...

I hope to see you back at the Champlain. I swear, the elevator is now back on service and it's functioning better than never!

Have a wonderful day,

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We booked a room with a fireplace and 2 queen beds, there was a curtain that you can pull across the room for additional privacy, that was the 1st time I've seen that in a hotel. Our room was clean, including the bathroom. The only thing I didnt like was the wallpaper, stare at it long enough and I felt like I was in a circus tent. However the decor didn't take away from the quality of the hotel.

Same comments with other TA reviewers about breakfast and a great coffee machine in the lobby. The breakfast room is small, however everyone seemed to find a spot. Customer service was very helpful, they assisted us with making reservations, answered all our questions about getting around and places to visit.

The lobby is very narrow, so is the hotel desk, the sitting room, the elevator and the hall corridors. Most of the streets are narrow in Old Quebec with several hills. It's a great walking city with many winding streets so wear comfortable shoes....you can walk for hours and miles and not be aware of the time..a lot like Europe. THere's a park across the street from the hotel, it's a bit steep to maneouver. The hotel is off the main road, you do have to walk for a few minutes to get to the main shopping area and restaurants.

Tiny parking lot - there may be 15-20 parking spots, if even. And it's very tight if you have an SUV like we did.

We had time to explore and we enjoyed discovering Old Quebec. We found it to be less commercialized than the old port at Montreal. Overall, a wonderful little hotel, excellent value and since we like to walk alot, the location was great for us.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Maggie C

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to let us your impressions about our property... This is really important for us!

I'm glad to read that you liked the hotel... This is great! OK, I know you didn't like the wallpaper in the room... But it's always very hard to please everybody in terms of decor... This is a question of taste!

The most important thing for most people is the comfort, the amenities, the service and the cleanliness of the room. which was right during your stay, isn't it?

Regarding parking, our places are limited, it's why is always very important to reserve it in advance. It's always better as well to specify that you have a large vehicule. We will reserve the perfect spot for the type of vehicule you have.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is a great little hotel in Old Quebec that I would definitely recommend. The room was clean, smelt reaally nice, the bed was a little hard but not that bad, and the location was great - near everything in Old Quebec but a little out of the way so it wasn't noisy at all. The breakfast was fantastic (loved the cretons to eat with my bagel) the 24hr coffee was excellent and the service was great. I would definitely stay here for a leisure visit. I was only in town for one night for work and when looking for accomodations I didn't want to stay in a chain hotel and so after reading reviews on this website went for it. Do not regret. The only regret I have is that I was only there for one night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pinkdork

Bonjour,

I enjoyed your review very much when I read it... What could I say more when the guest is telling us that its only regret was to be with us for only 1 night? For me, it's wonderful news... This means to me that you will come back and stay longer next time! What to expect more?

We definitively keep the cretons for you on the menu! Don't hesitate to ask for more next time! Bagel and cretons in the morning with a café latté from our machine is just perfect to start your day!

Best regards,