“Surpassed my expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Forest Hills, New York
“Surpassed my expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My second stay at the Auberge Saint-Antoine, a longer one than the first, was completely satisfying. I had expectations of elegance, attentive service, and a comfortable stay. All of the little details that this hotel offers their guests added up to a great experience that surpassed my expectations. In addition to being located in the nicest area of the city, the in-hotel experience does not disappoint.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alexisd
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

When I was researching where to stay in Quebec City, the reviews on the Auberge Saint-Antoine were incredibly positive. While I was tempted to stay somewhere else, I decided on it largely due to the reviews and I am so glad I did. In my case, the hotel clearly stood up to its fine reputation and I was exceedingly pleased with the experiences. The staff clearly went above and beyond. I would not consider staying anywhere else when I return.

Even before I arrived, Genevieve Guay, the Concierge, was in touch with me with suggestions about what to see and do and offering to make reservations. She is a treasure and was a critical success factor in our trip. She helped with Tour reservations, Restaurant reservations and a transfer to and from the Dinner Train of Le Massif de Charlevoix. Everything she recommended was not only top notch, we enjoyed it thoroughly. Even before we had arrived in Quebec City, she had offered to arrange an airport transfer and I declined, instead taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Looking back, had I to do it over again, I would have had her arrange for the airport arrival transfer to the hotel and for the trip to the airport - I know it would have been the better decision now. The driver she arranged for us to go to the train was polite, on time, and completely service oriented.

As a side note, I will mention that I developed a medical issue while on the trip, an eye infection. It was getting worse so I asked Ms, Guay about a doctor and she recommended one to me and he was superb. Being an American in Canada where the medical insurance is public, a foreigner can be at a disadvantage - but not here. The doctor came to the hotel, examined my eye, diagnosed the infection immediately, and got on the phone to the pharmacy which was near the hotel. I picked up my medication shortly thereafter and followed the doctor's advice to see my own physician upon return - which I did and he indicated that the Canadian doctor did exactly the right thing. What impressed me about the hotel in all of this is their great humanity in trying to do the right thing for their guests. Ms. Guay and the staff, in helping me, have earned my gratitude and my highest recommendation. Honestly, they take care of their guests in an exceptional way.

I met Martin Dufour, one of the hotel's managers at the Wednesday evening cocktail reception, after which he conducted a tour of the hotel with us and some other guests. The hotel is not only sensitive to the historical context of its location, but has gone out of its way to emphasize the artifacts found in constructing it. The hotel is located in the old city, lower Old Quebec, and the area is a delight to explore.

The rooms here are designed magnificently. For example, you quickly learn the bathroom floor is heated. Who knew? The small mirror by the sink has a light in it for easier viewing. The bath has a rain shower head, a moveable nozzle on the side, and a conventional tub spout. The bed is sumptuous. The comfort and quality of sleep is very high. Their rooms were designed for comfort.

We walked everywhere from the hotel and found the location convenient for everything. One finds that whatever you may have expected or planned before coming to Quebec City, once you arrive, there is just so much more you have to see.

The bellmen (who reminded me more of footmen in an English house) were extremely responsive and proactive in helping us. The front desk staff could not have been more accommodating. The cleaning staff did an excellent job in housekeeping and turning the bed down at night.

We tried the restaurant one night for dinner and it was fabulous. We had the Signature menu which is basically the chef's tasting menu - it was outstanding. One hint, if you see one or two things you might like changed, ask about it - they may accommodate you. I did not care much for sweetbreads and after I had left more than the other portions on my plate, they asked if something was wrong and I commented that I just didn't care for sweetbreads that much, they apologized and suggested I mention that next time so they could correct it for me. They are extremely service oriented and the food is to die for. We also had breakfast twice in the restaurant: both times excellent. The French Toast was divine and the crepes were delicious.

All in all, one of the very best, if not the best, hotel I have ever stayed in and it far exceeded my expectations. In view of my personal experiences here and the fact that they really do take exceptionally good care of their guests, I intend to return and I highly recommend the Auberge Saint-Antoine.

Room Tip: Consult with the reservation staff ahead of time if you have any questions on the rooms. They are c...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChicagoLooper
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

My husband and I spent 5 nights here and it was one of our most memorable hotel stays ever. It was quite the splurge, but definitely worth it. It is perfectly situated in the Lower Town, just steps away from the lovely pedestrian street of Quartier Petit Champlain. Also next door is the Musee de la Civilisation, which is a great museum to visit if you have time. The lobby and bar area of the hotel is beautifully decorated. The customer service was amazing. Anytime we asked for restaurant recommendations or directions to a particular place, the reps were attentive and helpful. Our room had a nice terrace which offered a view of the Chateau Frontenac. Also not far was the Old Port, where we would take a stroll and had nice views of the St. Lawrence river. The room was a good size, did not feel cramped at all, and there was a separate area for hanging your clothes; not exactly a walk-in closet but just separate from the area where the bed is. The bathroom was quite spacious as well. In addition to the amazing room, what I loved most about the Auberge Saint-Antoine was its location and proximity to nearby attractions and a huge variety of restaurants and cafes. I would most definitely stay here again and again!

Room Tip: Depending on the time of year you choose to stay, a room with a terrace is a nice treat. Offers view...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Tallahassee, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed 4 nights at the Auberge Saint-Antoine with my wife and 3 young children. The hotel is in an excellent location and is a short walk from great shopping and restaurants and across the street from the St Lawrence River and a great place for walking.

I found the hotel concierges as well as the front desk staff to be very helpful, knowledgeable, and accommodating and they helped arrange babysitting services, a family tour to a petting farm, and dinner at an upscale restaurant for us.

The hotel tries to accommodate families. Each of our 3 children had a hotel-branded teddy bear waiting for them in our room. Breakfast at the hotel's restaurant was top-notch. Dinner was hit or miss. The first night, my dinner was outstanding. The last night, my salmon tasted stale. The menu explains that "a children's menu is available upon request". When inquiring about it, they explain that you can choose any item from the menu and it is 1/2 off but there are no child-friendly items. They need to improve this and have a proper children's menu if they do indeed want to cater to families.

The workout facility was small but sufficient. I didn't get a chance to take advantage of the hotel's spa services. The decor and ambience of the hotel is uplifting and cheerful. The guest room we stayed in was an interesting experience. It was in an old part of the hotel and it was very rustic and spacious but had no outside view whatsoever. There is a very comfortable lounge area adjacent to the hotel lobby.

If I ever have to travel to Quebec City for business, I will definitely stay at this hotel as it looks to cater extremely well to the business traveler. I will probably try another hotel however if I travel to Quebec City again with the family.

Room Tip: Have the hotel explain their different room options
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Simply put, we had a GREAT 3 night stay. Staff was extremely helpful. At check in, the staff said they had overbooked our level room and quickly upgraded us to a riverview king bed suite! The room was amazing and extremely comfortable. The spa was beautiful, quaint, and very inviting. My husband and I both had a great massage. The concierge was very friendly and helped us with directions and booked us a great ghost tour of the city. The location was perfect. I loved every minute of our stay. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple