“Bad service”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Milton Street
Description: Born out of the simple notion that food and entertainment can go hand in hand, Ristorante Buonanotte has continued to fulfill its duty as Montreal's "beacon of nightlife", while still being able to maintain its devotion to culinary excellence in Italian cuisine. Buonanotte is the place for those wishing to experience the charm, style, flair and grace the city has to offer on its most vibrant and cosmopolitan boulevard. Located in proximity to the premier galleries, museums, boutiques and hotels, Buonanotte satisfies every visitor's senses and cravings since 1991.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

i was there for my Brithday and was so disappointed, very bad service, there wasn't any menu on the table so we waited 20min for that, then the waitress keep telling us that we should leave the table by 9.30pm as they have another reservation! she got our order at 8.20pm (we were there at 7.30!) then they brought our food at 9pm, again reminding us that we should leave by 9.30! i talked with the manager but apparently they didn't care (i sent an email to the manager before publishing this review here but didn't get anything). i was expecting more from this resto!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had a disappointing dining experience at Buonanotte this past weekend. To start, it took forever for our server to approach the table once we were seated. Once we had placed our drink order, it took forever for our drinks to make their way to the table. This was a recurring theme throughout the duration of our visit.

The focaccia was cold and dry. The mains were mediocre. We were never offered a dessert menu or tea/coffee so I can't comment on that. Apparently our server was 'new' and we were told that's why the service was so bad/slow? Maybe she should have been given a smaller section?
We constantly had to chase her down during the dinner. Very frustrating however, the support staff was excellent.

The DJ was good and the dancing was fun. I'd skip dinner next time and just go for the dancing. But be prepared for a long wait at the bar. Maybe the service is slow by design so you give up and just order bottle service.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Let me start by saying that the waitress was lovely. She went out of her way to be helpful, even though this was her first night on the floor (instead of behind the bar where she usually works). The decor is modern Italian. Sadly, where we sat, there were bright red lights that shone through the ceiling fixture and I had to wear sunglasses throughout the meal because I was getting a headache. The waitress tried to have the lights dimmed but that didn't work.

Buonanotte has a reputation for excellence, "Italian cuisine like no other." Movie stars dine here when in town. The waitresses are all tall and slim, wearing black micro-mini dresses and high heels. Much of the clientelle is male. We four women were the exception that night.

This being an Italian resto, and me living in Little Italy, I was expecting knock-out food. We went for Montreal A Table, 10 days of special menues at better restaurants at low prices. $41 for 3 courses at Buonanotte.

I wanted a glass of sparkling wine but wasn't willing to pay for real champagne @ $30 a glass. The sparkling white was Prosecco and EXTREMELY sweet, a dessert wine if there ever was one. I like Prosecco, but this one, no.

My starter was meatballs, which the waitress said was one of their signature dishes. One of my friends tasted them and agreed with me that they were quite ordinary. I've had better and had much the same at Cornelli in my 'hood.

My main was Paccheri. I don't know if the chef was asleep or out sick or what, but the pancetti was beyond al dente, inedible, and the meal was so salty I was astonished. Most chefs nowadays go very light if at all with salt, given all the ailments associated with too much of it. They usually let patrons salt if they want to and are creative enough with herbs and spices that most of the meals I eat when dining out don't require salt. This dish was something else. I had half of one noodle and decided to take this home and deal with it by microwave, which I did later that night, which cooked the noodles and dimmed the salt. This was my alternative because neither of the other two mains on the menu appealed to me. Dessert was two choices, a cake (which turned out to be a brownie) with a cream sauce and a fruit underlay, or the requisite tiramisu. I don't enjoy tiramisu but have eaten it on occasion and if it's incredibly well done with high-end ingredients it's good enough. This was not that and yet it was another of the 'signature' items on the menu.

On the way to the washroom I checked out the meals the other patrons were eating--pizza, steak, etc., being consumed with gusto. Obviously the regular menu is better than what we had.

As to my friends, one ordered from the regular menu. She had an appetizer with 'Wild Argentinean Shrimp' which came with one regular Canadian shrimp and a sprig of green. She knows Argentinean shrimp as it's one of her favorites. This was not it. She mentioned it to the waitress who said she'd mention it to the chef. Another woman had the shrimp main course with one Argentinean shrimp and 2 or 3 regular shrimp and yes, that dish did have a large Argentinean shrimp! The first woman ordered the spaghettini from the regular menu because she likes thinner pasta, but the dish came with regular spaghetti, which is thicker. We could all see that. One woman liked her meal, the other three, including me, felt the food was ordinary to not good and no real care had been taken. Speculation ensued, that this was because we were on the Montreal A Table menu, although that didn't ring true for me, since the regular menu prices are not that high to begin with, and the special menu is meant to entice new customers, of which I won't be one. I'll stick to my 'hood in Little Italy where I can get great Italian food anytime.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

My husband and I visited Montreal this past week and were invited to join our friend Fred Avertick for pizza at Buonanotte. When we got there the chef "Joe the cook" came out and asked if we were allergic to anything and was wondering if he could do a small tasting for us....silly us still thought we were having pizza....what followed was a masterpiece...four apps of thing that neither of us would ever have ordered that were simply amazing....mushroom crustini, calamari, tuna, and octopus. We thought we were done....then came the pasta course...pasta with wild picked Quebec mushrooms and sheep cheese...we licked the plate....next came the protein plate....steak that did not even need a knife , massive shrimp, home made fries and dip and Brussel sprouts with smoked meat....to die for...next was the deserts...which I had no room for but ate every bit...tiramisu, sorbet, and Nutella pasteries...all this was followed by a digestive drink with our chef "joethecook" and our waitress...The food was second to none and the service was impeccable. Buonanotte is now our go to spot. Thank you Buonanotte Montreal!

Reviewed 26 August 2017

We were a group of 4. Two of the 4 were visitors to Montreal. The appetizers and foccacia bread were excellent. The 1 hour wait for our mains was a new experience for us. Our waitress disappeared for the hour we could not see her to follow up on our orders. The mains were uneven. One pizza was soggy and the other held it shape and was well cooked. The pasta was okay but it was most likely waiting around for at least 1 of the pizzas to be ready.
The waitress could have redeemed the situation by giving us a heads up on the delays in the kitchen.
I will avoid returning until I hear that the kitchen is producing more consistent food and the level of the service has improved.