“Skip the Concierge, ask the valet”
Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #18 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I've stayed in 3 of them W's and countless 5 star hotels. This one is at the top. All of the staff members really go out of their way to help you...from the room attendants, to the front desk, etc. The rooms are absolutely huge by hotel standards (my family of four stayed in a room without a problem)...extra large soaking tub looks like a small pool.

The staff helped us with everything. For example, we forgot our stroller...like magic they let us use one of theirs for all 4 days of our stay. Our little one also tripped in the foyer...3-4 managers were on scene within seconds...so fast that I didn't know why they were there or where they came from and I followed the herd to see that they were tending to my little one. I was the last one on scene and I was 5 feet away!!!

The main thing is that while the concierges are all extremely pleasant, skip them. They rely on the internet and referred us to events that were closed. Your best bet is to ask the valet (especially Alex)...they know everything and gave us information that the concierge didn't know.

The Acura experience was still a little limited for our taste. This is not unique to this property. We used it twice, but were shut out 2-3 times for other excursions. Do not rely on it to get around. You will need to use your car (Montreal is easy to get around in with a GPS) or a taxi (which get expensive). We used the subway a few times...which is extremely reasonable, safe, and easy to use...oh yeah...and it's under the hotel!

...a little tip...this hotel does not have a pool, but you can use the Westin's pool across the street if you go through the Concierge.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

You don't know a beautiful city until you have visited Montreal, and for us the beauty started at the hotel. The valet from the moment we pulled up to the hotel, the front desk attendant, the concierge, and other staff members were all very helpful and friendly.

The W Montreal is a very attractive hotel, and appears to either be new, or recently remodeled. It has a hip modern decor, and is centrally located near old Montreal, as well as the shopping district, restaurants, and Museums (if you don't mind a little walking). My only knock against the hotel is the high cost for internet use. With some of the area restaurants offering free WI-FI, you would think the hotel would either offer internet use for free, or at a lower cost than $15 per day (if my memory serves me), for your convenience. However I would guess if you are staying at the W, you're not looking for an experience similar to staying at a Days Inn, or a hotel similar to that. You get what you pay for, and the W Montreal is a great place to spend your nights (or days for some), while visiting Montreal!

One other thing to note is that the glass walled shower is located between the bedroom and the bathroom. While this wasn't a problem for me and my wife, I could imagine wanting to do without that feature if you are traveling with a bunch of friends. I doubt that's a standard feature in every room, but be warned if you enjoy privacy - LOL!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This was our first stay at a W Hotel and all we can say is WOW! What an amazing property, and what an amazing staff they have. Everyone went out of their way to make sure our stay was perfect. We've never seen such a sleek and stylish room (or common areas for that matter). True, the lobby was rather dark, but that didn't bother us at all. The coffee service in the lobby in the morning was a nice touch - great, gourmet coffee. We certainly will keep the W Hotel chain in mind for future trips...we were not disappointed and it was everything we hoped for and more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor to avoid any noise from the club downstairs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Whenever you check into a W you know you are going to be staying in a place that is unlike a typical hotel. Such was the case here. From the moment you step into the well appointed, if darkly lit, living room to your room with the "peephole" near the bath tub, it is not your typical place. However, this property seems to have done a great job being funky while at the same time very very nice. The beds are comfortable, the bathroom is well equipped and the internet access is quite good.

The staff all step up to the mark as well, and we particularly appreciated the concierge, who helped us plan a nice trip to Montreal. The location is great for almost anything you want to do, walking distance from virtually anything either downtown or in the old quarter and connected to the Square Victoria Metro stop should you want to venture further.

We would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT next to the "Blue Light Curtain (the staff will know what you mean)" fo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Oh, thank you, W Montreal for a great stay last weekend. I'm a fan of this brand, and I have to say that this one may have been my best W experience ever. One enters a sleek and very sexy lobby and passes by mysterious and intriguing chambers decorated in bold modern colours. The decor in common areas and rooms is chic, and I was upgraded to a room with gorgeous cerulean accompaniments. Hotel location is good, roughly halfway between Montreal's downtown business district and Old Montreal (easily walkable to either, and just across the street from the Victoria Square Metro, including signs donated by the French from what I was told). Had a good free-libation experience in the six-seat bar near the elevators, with a knowledgeable young bartender who was Montreal to the core (friendly, well-travelled, hip, easy on the eyes). I would add that as is common with W's I was a bit confused by my bill at parting (I had prepaid several months before), but all seems to have been sorted. One of my most refreshing and I daresay glamorous hotel experiences in this glamorous brand and this cosmopolitan city. The W Montreal blends the best of the brand with the best of the city in an alluring combination.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo