Hotel Casa Bella
US$ 250
US$ 198
getaroom.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsother guestseuropean styleprivate bathsmall hotelvisit montrealdowntownmetromcgill
Reviewed 20 October 2006

We learned of Casa Bella Inc. from a travel guidebook. We call them directly and the guy on the phone sounded really nice, so we went for it. My boyfriend and I stayed there the week before Labor day when we were traveling trough Canada, and realized that it is probably the single busiest week for Montreal with all the movie, jazz, and rock festivals they have that week. It cost us $624 Canadian including taxes and parking for 3 nights for one queen bedroom and 1 night in a two queen bedroom (they had to change us rooms because they already sold out the 1 queen room for the weekend to another couple) We had to take it because there were no more places available.

Pluses: Even though, the front desk girl didnt speak lots of English, she was very pleasant and attentive. The hotel is located near Boulevard St. Laurent and Rue Saint Dennis, both streets that have the best night and restaurant scene. The location allows you to walk to most places of interest. The rooms were surprisingly very spacious.

Minuses: It says that the room has AC, but ours never worked, so I had to open the window and couldn’t sleep at all the first night because of the busy and noisy street. The room is cozy and clean, but it looks very much like a two star hostel. The breakfast is not good, cheap concentrated orange juice, store bough cheap croissants. I read that someone liked the breakfast, judge for yourself order it one day and see if you like it, I still recommend you to add in your budget breakfast outside, just in case.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lili_Marlen
Reviewed 7 October 2006

The room was ok but the towels are threadbare and there are no
extra blankets. The staff was indifferent and made it quite
clear that they didn't want to be bothered. When we asked for
an extra room key they said it would be ready for us but when
we went to pick it up they didn't have one. The breakfast is
nothing great just one slice of toast, an obviously store bought
croissant, and a small cup of coffee, tea, or chocolate. When
there was a miscommunication about the breakfast beverage
and we were given tea and chocolate rather than coffee and
chocolate we tried to get coffee instead and were rudely
informed we couldn't have it. One gets the feeling that the
owner is nowhere around and just wants to cut costs.
I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 August 2006

You cannot go wrong with staying at this cute and elegant French flavored hotel in French speaking Montreal, the world 2nd largest French speaking city. My room was large with a terrific shower. The room was kept cool without the annoying A/C noises (central A/C?). The family that runs the hotel attends to your every need. The hotel is smartly located within walking distance to downtown, China town, and the shopping district. It's also a block away from the metro subway! I miss it and will stay there again and I will try to ask for the wing that has a lot more traditional European decor, if I am lucky to get it.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Bon-Bon-J
Reviewed 17 October 2005

You get what you pay for. Great location, just a short walk from the Metro and an Underground City food court, as well as lots of "regular" restaurants and downtown attractions. Unfortunately, I arrived after hours on a Friday and stayed the weekend. The off-hours desk person did not speak English other than 1 or 2 words. I can ask "Where is a nearby restaurant?" (among other things, thank you) in clear French, and she just didn't get it, trying to direct me to the grocery store across the street. It was impossible to communicate with her, even by pointing at posted bilingual notices. (InfoTouriste assured me that ALL tourist-related locations in Montreal have fluent bilingual speakers available. InfoTouriste is wrong.) Rooms didn't have alarm clocks; no wakeup call available; individual room temperature controls non-existent; not even a box of Kleenex! No tub either. I'd been looking forward to relaxing from the rest of my trip in a bubble bath. But the rooms were clean (mattress was thin but comfortable enough after a hard day of walking), and breakfast could be ordered in the mornings. Their website says, "fresh warm croissants baked on the premises," but the croissants were obviously those soggy store-bought things, warmed up somewhere. They were edible, though, as was the toast, tiny glass of orange juice and tea. Towels were small, thin and miserly in number, stairs were abundant and steep, and I feel sorry for people who brought their cars with them as all the cars had to be shifted around by valet every time someone needed theirs. PS: An English-speaker appeared at the desk early Monday morning -- too late for my needs.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank CarolStrick
Reviewed 7 September 2005

This is a nice little place and the staff are very helpful and friendly. It is also in a great location. The metro is close by and the walk to McGill is only about ten minutes. We stayed here for a few days to visit the university and visit the city. This place would also be a great spot if you are visiting for the jazz festival. Place des Arts is just a few blocks away. Parking in the back was a plus. We left the car and forgot about it for during our stay, then walked or took the metro. Have fun!

• Stayed: June 2005